Ultra wide rims...

williambowland
williambowland Posts: 131
edited February 2015 in MTB general
So - rims are getting proper wide these days. The Derby rims available through JRA seem like good value so it got me thinking...

Just how applicable are 35 - 40mm wide rims to general trail riding on short travel rigs such as my Anthem 27.5?
2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They arent really suited to light xc bikes. Your bike will work best with something around 25mm max.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If your looking at carbon I would say 30mm external is pretty 'normal'. Suitable for all round trail duties, 35+ needs a big tyre to work best.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Anthems used to have quite limited tyre clearance. Mine would only take a 2.35" max
  • There's a fair amount of clearance to spare round the Racing Ralph 2.25 out back.

I thought ultra wide rims didn't usually require extra clearance - that it was more about squaring up the tyre? In fact the "Tire Recommendation" bit of the Derby web site (http://www.derbyrims.com/technical-specs.html) talks about "normal" sized tyres (he says likes "2.2 sized tires for most trail conditions").

I'm a bit confused...

Still - i think you've discouraged me enough for now.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc
  • rockmonkeysc
    I dont think i want my tyres with a more square profile.
    While DH racers are still using 25-28mm rims and 2.5" tyres I will take that as a guide to the best handling for hard riding.