Drive chain noise

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2015 in Workshop
When I start pedaling after freewheeling there is often a small clunk that feels and sounds like its coming from the chain ring but could be mistaken. Strangely my friends bike was making exactly the same noise with a completely different groupset. Any ideas?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    It's probably from either the cassette 'engaging', or the rear derailleur 'take-up arm' and pulleys getting into position.

If it happens when you gently begin pedaling again, then I suspect the derailleur/pulleys.

If you begin again by stomping hard then it could be lots of things.

Suspend the rear wheel so you can test and observe - perhaps a broom stick between 2 chairs at seatpost & seat stay junction.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It might well be loose chainring bolts. I've had clunking noises from that.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Another possibility is the freehub (pawls) not engaging properly. There would be a definite "clunk" usually accompanied by a feeling the chain has slipped. If so- strip, clean and re-lube rear hub/freehub.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Bottom bracket shot?

My 10 mile old "off the peg" Boardman winter bike bought from the big H vomited the guts out of its wretched press-fit bottom bracket that far into its maiden ride. Started with a small clunk that was so loud by the time I got home people were looking round to see what the racket was.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    not BB, not chain ring bolts. its only one clunk on take up. Ive tightened the cassette lock ring which wasnt lose but wasnt super tight. Ill check freehub although pawls seem ok when i spin the wheel in my hands.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo