New Fulcrum wheel feels "notchy"

chaos75
chaos75 Posts: 72
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi

I've just got some new Fulcrum Racing 3's. out of the box the rear wheel feels great, nice and smooth but when spinning the front (not on the bike) it feels slightly notchy and not as smooth as the rear. Before I fit tyres etc. does anyone know if this is normal and just needs running in or do they need adjusting? I would like to avoid the hassle of sending them back to wiggle if it's an easy adjustment (I'm happy tinkering with my current Mavic wheels but the hub assembly is different on the Fulcrums). Any advice would be appreciated.

Gareth

Comments

• You will need to re adjust the pressure on the bearings after a ride or two once the bearings have settled in. This can be done by loosening the small allen bolt on the left of the hub and adjusting the plate then re tightening the bolt (I normally turn the plate until tight then loosen it 1/8th of a turn).
  • Great, thanks for that. So ride them before making any adjustments? What sort of distance are we talking?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I would adjust the front hub before riding untill it feels smooth without play.
    Check both hubs after a few rides.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Keezx wrote:
    I would adjust the front hub before riding untill it feels smooth without play.
    Check both hubs after a few rides.

That wheel should not have been signed off on the qc paper work you get in the box... you have every right to get a replacement, if you are unsure.
  • keezx
    That's one approach.
    Not mine.....
  • That happened to me once until I realised I was spinning them on the QR skewer. I presume you are not making the same mistake?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Keezx wrote:
    That's one approach.
    Not mine.....
    Then dont build and send me wheels that are not 100% then ;-)
  • Thanks for the replies.
    As for QC there was a checklist and everything was ticked, I'm putting that down to a Friday afternoon special! I could send them back but, to be honest, that's more hassle than just tweaking them myself which I'm happy to do. ( and no, no qr skewers on!) I really just wasn't sure if there was a bedding in process to be expected with new wheels/ bearings.

Gareth
  • keezx
    JGSI wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    That's one approach.
    Not mine.....
    Then dont build and send me wheels that are not 100% then ;-)

A small adjustment has nothing to do with 100% perfection.