Power Question

Goldcol76
Goldcol76 Posts: 12
Hi there,

I have been cycling for a few years now and have started to train harder following Strava training. Could someone tell me if averaging 281 watts for 40 minutes is any good. I am a larger frame weighing 190 pounds. I know these cat racers get crazy wattage readings but I am wondering if this is ok.

The main reason for the Q is I have pondered over joining my local cycle club but worry about keeping up, I am sure it a whole different level. Just weighing it all up.

Thanks in advance

Col

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - it's fine.... I wouldn't join the crazy cat racers though ...

As for keeping up with the local cycle club - find out what rider groups they do, start in the bottom one (unless that's a kiddies learn to ride around the park group) and work up - there's more to group riding than going at speed - you need to learn how to ride closely to another rider, follow and pass on hand signals etc etc - far better to do that at a slow pace than one haring around with everyone relying on you to get it right.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    How are you measuring power?
    Power meter? or virtual power ?
    281W seems pretty respectable and is equal to 3.2 W/kg. I doubt you'll have too many problems keeping up with that sort of ratio - unless is a big club and you want to ride with the fast group. I'd say go along and ride - forget about the numbers and focus on making some mates that you can ride with.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If that number is Strava virtual power and not from an actual PM then it means absolutely nothing.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    If that number is Strava virtual power and not from an actual PM then it means absolutely nothing.

Best wait for the OP to confirm before any more replies......
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Hi,

Thank you for the responses. I have completed some Sportives before and do enjoy riding in groups and understand there is a skill in doing so. Those reading are using a power meter, I was using Strava last year and the results were a all over the place.

If it is respectable as mentioned I think perhaps I should concentrate on losing a little weight and then join the club. To be honest the type of person I am I would prefer to be in the middle of the pack than the back. The club in Dursley, I believe it is a decent club.

Is it a case of just keep riding to increase my wattage. I seem to be stuck around this figure now

Thanks
    Col.
  • Unless the ride is a 'chainy' then I'd be staggered if you didn't keep up.

I always think club rides sounds/feel more intimidating than what they actually are.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Just join the club ride, it'll no doubt be easier than you think. Don't forget about the energy saved from riding in the bunch.
  • Grill
    Dursley (just down the road from me) is a great club with a lot of strong riders (good testers there).
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    If you're using Strava then you must have an idea of how you are doing as you can check your performance against other riders.

The following book is quite good at teaching you about power and gives a good chart that lets you see how your power/weight ranks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racing ... with+power
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Grill wrote:
    Dursley (just down the road from me) is a great club with a lot of strong riders (good testers there).
    Looking at their website it's quite a big club - so more than just the chaingang ride on a sunday then - OP - just contact them and I'm sure you'll be invited for a club run ...
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Goldcol76 wrote:
    Is it a case of just keep riding to increase my wattage. I seem to be stuck around this figure now

Small increases will occur slowly by just 'keep riding'.
    If you want faster increases, you need to push yourself beyond the 'comfort zone'.
    E.g seek out a long difficult hill and ride it once a week.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Thanks for the updates. I will go along and see how it goes, it sounds like it will only improve my riding which is a positive thing.

My goal is to get to 300 watts for an hour, there is a loop I blast my way, which I would love to do in an hour and I think I would need to get somewhere near that figure. Is it a case of keep riding or incorporating lots of hill training to improve power over time?

Grill do you ride there?
  • Grill
    I'm in Wotton so I ride all around the area.

If you have a specific goal in mind then I'd recommend coaching to reach it. Loads of miles ad hill reps are great, but without a proper training plan you could be just spinning your wheels (heh).
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Goldcol76 wrote:
    there is a loop I blast my way, which I would love to do in an hour

If your 'blasting' means going as hard as you can, and then just able to get off the bike and stay upright, then that's a 'training plan'. Do it 3X per week with easier rest days in between efforts for recovery, and you'll get improvement.
    Less frequent training days means slower improvement.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Grill
    If you're close to Dursley you can just ride the U17 course. An hour on that is a good time.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Goldcol76 wrote:
    ...... I have pondered over joining my local cycle club but worry about keeping up, I am sure it a whole different level.

It is very very unlikely that all the members of the Dursley RC are on 'a whole different level'. My money is on you having about average fitness because, although there will be some strong racing folk in the club, there will also be a long tail of social riders, club-runners and older folk who are no longer fast but simply love getting out and riding. All the well-established clubs I know have a lot more social riders than racing types.

If you fancy being in a club, then a club is for you. Get along there and you'll soon feel at home.

It's a massive cycling myth that clubriders are all super fit and strong.

Ruth
  • One thing to add, club runs, even the fastest groups are not all out. Our club will state the average MPH expected, if it's the hilly week, regrouping will happen at the top. As has been suggested, start in the slower group and then find your level.

Also don't be afraid to to test yourself by joining the faster group, we do rides that are often designed as a "step up" for people. As you can tell by my comments, there is a lot of flexibility, if the club you choose doesn't sound like what I've suggested then maybe look for another one that does.
  • Thanks for the sound advice, I am definitely going to give it go in the next couple of weeks. I am very interested in the U17 course, Grill do you have any details on the course route, please. That would be great to try midweek when time is tight.

Just come back from training after a days rest and could only manage 250 watts in 40 mins. Strange, my post ride nutrition for Mondays ride was spot on and I ate well yesterday and today. Very frustrating, it seams I need two days rest between blasts which isn't great. Any tips on this, could It be fluid intake?
  • Grill
    Here you go: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/U17-25-mile-time-trial-course335629

Don't worry too much about daily power. What matters is the monthly test, but more than that what happens on race day. Two rest days between huge efforts isn't unique, everyone recovers differently.
  • Wow averaging 25mph, that's damn impressive. Think I may need some tri bars for my rode bike and incorporate this into my training.