Claiming on frame warranty - any advice?

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited February 2015 in Road general
I'm hoping to claim on the Trek lifetime frame warranty, as a crack has developed from the slot next to the seat clamp on the seat tube of my carbon frame. I've always used a torque wrench when fastening the seat clamp, to just below the specified torque setting, so I genuinely believe the crack is due to a manufacturing defect.

Does anyone have any advice on claiming on a frame warranty and any things you can do to maximise the chances of a successful claim?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I successfully claimed for a new Bianchi frame, with just a couple of weeks left on a 5 year warranty. My issue was a crack around the bottom bracket. With yours being in an area where you could over torque it, you really will be in their hands as to how generous they're feeling, that said you would have a seatpost in when torquing it up and you'd expect to damage the seatpost first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, you'll need to take it back to shop you bought from for them to assess the damage as it's usually the retailer who is your first point of call and they claim on you behalf, good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Good luck with the claim. I went through an arduous process last year getting a replacement frame on warranty from Cannondale. Be tenacious!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    This is where a relationship with you LBS is paramount as its a joint benefit for a satisfactory outcome with the distributor or manufacturer.

I bought my Ti Deluxe from a well known and respected shop in Alsager and when a crack appeared on the underneath of the rear stay the proprietor managed everything. Ok it was a three month wait but the frame was made to measure and from the US and was replaced without hassle or any issue.

Many years ago i broke my Halfords FS own brand which in effect was a Merida. Rear stay again and the frame was replaced FOC but i was on first name terms with the bloke in Redditch who was responsible for warranty claims....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • andyeb
    Thanks guys. Here's a picture of the frame, from another post over in Road >> Workshop.

Going to take it back to the shop where I bought it at lunchtime today. So far they have been super helpful and supportive and I have a good business relationship with them.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I made a claim on a Trek frame (2nd District SS) that my LBS handled really well (was The Tri Centre in Edinburgh - recently closed down after takeover by PX)
    Trek / bike shop were great, relatively speedily they agreed there was something wrong - quite possibly just a paint crack - it may have been because that frame / bike was a low value (<£500) but the bike shop arranged with Trek for a replacement complete bike o be offered to me. As mine was drop bars and the closest replacement was straight barred I said that did not suit so the shop allowed me to take the bike away and swap-over the bars etc from old to new so I essentially ended up with a new bike except for the bars/levers etc.
    I have not read bad things about Trek's policy in general although I think some issues WRT the BB30/push-in coming loose (?) have not always come to such a positive conclusion.
    Seem to recall a clubmate with an OCLV frame of a good few years vintage getting a replacement so fingers crossed for you.
  • andyeb
    Thanks andyrr - that's reassuring to know. Fingers crossed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I successfully claimed for a new Bianchi frame, with just a couple of weeks left on a 5 year warranty. My issue was a crack around the bottom bracket. With yours being in an area where you could over torque it, you really will be in their hands as to how generous they're feeling, that said you would have a seatpost in when torquing it up and you'd expect to damage the seatpost first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, you'll need to take it back to shop you bought from for them to assess the damage as it's usually the retailer who is your first point of call and they claim on you behalf, good luck

just out of interest, when you got the replacement did the warranty start from new on the frame for a further 5 years or was it subject to the original time limit?
  • andyeb
    Right, bike is in the bike shop.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbzsufHUs8

and more photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19994735@ ... 553407597/
  • I think the Bianchi warranty is from the original purchase date.

I had my Bianchi frame replaced last year and they were very good about it.