Lower pressure track pump

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new track pump, currently got a Beto one, works really well, however the fact the gauge goes up to 160 psi makes it a little difficult to inflate tyres to an accurate pressure.

Anybody know of a good pump that won't break the bank that has a lower pressure range?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a Fuji branded one, aluminium body and the pressure gauge goes to 100psi though a 270 degree sweep.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Recently got the Topeak Joe Blow "Mountain" - specifically designed to be high volume/ low pressure.
    As such, the gauge only goes up to 75psi, making it about as precise as they come (seems to be fairly accurate and consistent, too).

Only thing I don't like about it is the dual-valve head, which is a bit bulky/fiddly, and can cause you to lose a bit of air when it doesn't come off cleanly, which is frustrating. I'm going to replace it with the head from one of my old track pumps (which was much more user-friendly) when I can be bothered.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You lost me at accurate pressure measurement.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Specialized do the Airtool MTB track pump as well, which goes to 70psi.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I use a separate gauge for pressure measurement. I use the pump gauge and Inflate to say approx 25psi and then use a digital gauge to get the presure to my desired psi. In my case I run at 22 Psi.
  • Antm81
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's looking like the joe blow so far
  • Antm81 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's looking like the joe blow so far
    best track pump of many that i've had over the years
  • Antm81
    Ordered the Joe Blow mountain, so much easier than my other track pump and much easier to read pressures. I'm impressed so far.

Thanks for the recommendations
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Pressure numbers are completely arbitrary for most track pumps. The best way to treat ANY pump is that you put air in your tyres until your happy with how they ride, make a note of what your pressure gauge says at that point and then that becomes your "default setting" for your pump.

You will find when you use someone else's pump that what you think is 30psi is something completely different according to their gauge and so on the more pumps you use.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Antm81
    Pressure numbers are completely arbitrary for most track pumps. The best way to treat ANY pump is that you put air in your tyres until your happy with how they ride, make a note of what your pressure gauge says at that point and then that becomes your "default setting" for your pump.

You will find when you use someone else's pump that what you think is 30psi is something completely different according to their gauge and so on the more pumps you use.

That I understand, however I wanted a pump that would be easier to get those desired pressures rather than having a gauge that went up to 160psi and was difficult to get read 5psi of what I wanted