Bike size differences help?

charriden
charriden Posts: 10
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I currently got a Carrera Kraken 2013 that is a 20in (L) and i am about to buy a Cube Sting 120 29er and the cube size guide recommends an 18in. I thought given that I'm going from 26in wheels to 29 i would keep with a 20in. i can't find a shop that does the bike so I'm getting it online so i can't trial it. can anyone give me an idea. i was thinking of popping down to halfords and looking for bikes of similar size but thats still not a given.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The key dimension is the effective top tube length (allowing for stem length variances and inline v offset seatpost a), measure yours and compare to the spec for the Sting, wheel size has no effect in the dimensions your body needs for the frame for it to fit you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A very rough guide for any bike is the reach and stack measurements. This gives a good idea of bike sizing if you can't test ride. A bike that is a little too small can be sorted, a bike that is too big leaves you with nowhere to go.