Boardman frame but what forks?

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I have purchased a secondhand 2011 Boardman Race road bike frame but I'm having trouble finding out what Forks would fit. Anyone know? I tried a tapered fork but that's no good. I think the head tube outside width is 49mm if that helps.

Comments

• Having purchased a Team Carbon frame last year, without forks, it occurred to me that no two forks, indeed no two head tubes, are the same. Standard forks are normally 1/8" non tapered which is, I am guessing, what you are looking for. In all the reviews there is no mention of a tapered head tube, which would need a fork that was 1/8" at the top and 1/2" at the bottom, but the original fork was full carbon, fork and steerer. 1/8" straight steerer would be my guess.
    T
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    My hold Ali/carbon Pro runs straight forks if that helps.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have that exact frame and from reading that website I bought those forks. Got my LBS to install the headset and do the sawing and haven't had an issue with them.
  • fuzzdog
    Thanks for your replies.
    Presumably as long as you have the correct headset you can use most forks. I'm not sure. Obviously not the tapered ones I got. To be honest I got the tapered forks after having seen that article from the above link I thought the picture looked just like the forks I got.
    I aslo notice that the forks I got seemed slightly wider than the head tube for the bike. It seems that buying a set of forks and a correct headset is a bit of a mine field. I also purchased the wrong headset.
    Should it be integrated or semi integrated? I think the original was an FSA but I got an FSA semi no 11 but that doesn't fit.
    The head tube is actually 50mm diameter outside and i think 44 inside both top and bottom. and the depth of the bore is about 8 or 9 mm but when you go to buy one most don't have these dimensions listed so how are you supposed to know what to get. So tricky.
  • fuzzdog
    The Frame I have is a 2011 Alloy Boardman Race frame. It should have Carbon forks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Probably fully integrated if anything like mine.