Stages Power Meter Compatibility

Twi78
Twi78 Posts: 54
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Decided to take the plunge and get a power meter. I want to be able to swap it between 2 bikes but I've come up with a couple of issues that are giving me a bit of a headache.

Firstly I have Ultegra 6750 10 speed on one bike which is grey/black. Stages only do 6700 in silver or 6800 in black (possibly grey/black) so my first question is does it matter for the left crank arm if I go 6800?

Secondly, I want to use the power meter on my turbo/winter/commuting bike which is a boardman 2010 model with sram truvative 9 speed. So my question is can I simply change the BB and chainset to ultegra 6700 and leave the rest of the group set? Or do I need to change more? For example ultegra 6700 is 10 speed but I have a 9 speed cassette. This doesn't matter if the front rings are the same ratio does it?

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Twi78
    Just answered my first question, off stages website:

"Please note:
    The Stages Power Ultegra 6700 is only available in Silver colour. Riders who are using the Ultegra 6700 Grey version, can opt for the colour matching Stages Power Ultegra 6800 which is 100% compatible.."
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Swapping your cranks will be fine. An easier option would be Powertap though. I don't use either of them and went down the Rotor Power route in the end after being delayed for too long waiting on the 4iiii Precision to come out, but swapping the rear wheel has to be a quicker and easier job than swapping cranks over if you want to use a device on two bikes?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Twi78
    philthy3 wrote:
    Swapping your cranks will be fine. An easier option would be Powertap though. I don't use either of them and went down the Rotor Power route in the end after being delayed for too long waiting on the 4iiii Precision to come out, but swapping the rear wheel has to be a quicker and easier job than swapping cranks over if you want to use a device on two bikes?

Thanks for the reply.

I have been warned off power tap, plus I have different spec wheels. If the cranks can be swapped over fine then I will buy a new set of ultegra 6700 and just switch the left crank arm depending on the bike I'm riding.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    What has warned you off powertap? I've been using one since 2008 with no probs.

Yet the battery issues and water ingress issues haven't put you off stages? I believe they are now sorted but just check the thread out on here, a lot of users with issues.

Check out power2max too, they are available for just over 500 quid and measure both legs.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Twi78
    NapoleonD wrote:
    What has warned you off powertap? I've been using one since 2008 with no probs.

Yet the battery issues and water ingress issues haven't put you off stages? I believe they are now sorted but just check the thread out on here, a lot of users with issues.

Check out power2max too, they are available for just over 500 quid and measure both legs.

My LBS said for the money you are not getting much spec?

I haven't heard those reviews about stages so I will check it out and look at power2max too. What about garmin vector pedals? Any thoughts on those?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    If you go for 4iiii then for the price of 1 stages unit you can get two power meters - one for each bike.

UK release date is 01/03/15
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    So the shop selling stages told you to buy stages...

Vector are expensive and reliant on accurate set up, but seem to be very good when used right and moving between bikes is easy. I use speedplays so that rules them out. Brim brothers should be out this year though.

Then there is the 4iii and the watt team meters coming out that'll do both crank arms for the price of the stages.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    izza wrote:
    If you go for 4iiii then for the price of 1 stages unit you can get two power meters - one for each bike.

UK release date is 01/03/15

The release date has been put back and put back. Now it seems it will not be compatible with carbon cranks and only a limited selection of others. It would also appear you have to send your crank arm off to them to be calibrated. Far easier to buy something else.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.