Kick Stands - WHY!!!!!

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2015 in Road general
Hopefully other people have noticed this trend and can shed some light - I have been to the states a few times and ridden their a few times too and been to lots of bike shops in and around NYC and there is something that strikes me as strange - They are crazy for kick stands ! You know the steel ugly fold up things that fold up along the chainstay.

I get that hybrids or tourers it may make sense given that these are bikes that will be stopping alot or be heavy with stuff - Basically bikes in which practicality is key but I have seen several top end road bikes over there with these awful kick stands and I just can't get my head around it ?

Why do these guys and girls spend $3000+ on a 7kg carbon road bike then bolt on a 5lb kick stand ? I mean how hard is it to find a tree or lamp-post to lean your bike against when you stop ? If the excuse is because it protects the paint then I would say a piece of cloth stuffed under the seat or in a your race jersey pocket would be all that is needed.

Seriously any people from the States who may read this please explain the obsession ? Again I am not talking about utilitarian bikes here just the top end road bikes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you sure they were not just for displaying the bikes in the shop?

Did you actually see people cycling around with them on?
    How were they attached?

My focus has a threaded hole on the bottom of BB area (like a camera mount) so maybe thats what its for :lol:
    I would want a prop stand personally though :P
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I grew up in Canada and I loved the kickstand on my BMX!

And the coaster brake for skids!
  • Culture thing perhaps? If you've grown up with bikes always having kickstands you're going to expect it and think you're being screwed if you don't get one?
  • Maybe it's something they have standard in certain part of the US, like we have bells and reflectors. Most people take off the bell and reflectors, occasionally you'll see road bikes with them left on. Same thing maybe?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Everything is heavier in the US. I think its in the Constitution.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Maybe it's something they have standard in certain part of the US, like we have bells and reflectors. Most people take off the bell and reflectors, occasionally you'll see road bikes with them left on. Same thing maybe?
    Nothing wrong with a bell. If you hit someone while ringing your bell that's their fault, if you're screaming "straavvvaaaaa" that makes it your fault.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have to admit I've got one on my steel Audax bike. While I know they are not trendy, especially here in the UK, I do find it handy when popping into a shop or if I want to stop at the edge of the road when nature calls and there is no wall and only wet muddy grass to lay the bike on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I have to admit I've got one on my steel Audax bike. While I know they are not trendy, especially here in the UK, I do find it handy when popping into a shop or if I want to stop at the edge of the road when nature calls and there is no wall and only wet muddy grass to lay the bike on.

Is there a difference between laying your bike carefully down on Tarmac and muddy wet grass? Or come to think of it dry grass, astroturth or athletics track?

And why only lay down an audax bike? Why not a communter or race bike?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Most bikes have a kick stand here in Switzerland. Probably because everybody has a bike or two and the bike shed at the station might just be a roof, so you need the kick stand to hold your bike up when its parked. I've never succumbed, but I've often had problems finding somewhere to leave my bike at the shops, etc., every inch of wall has bikes several layers thick lent upon it. In the UK, bikes are still less common, so its not hard to find a wall to lean your bike against.

At Basel railway station there are several bike parks, two under ground, with at least 10,000 bikes in them each day.
  • mr_eddy
    The bikes I have seen them on vary but all were riding bikes (not bikes on display) and several were top end race bikes - I saw a kick stand bolted onto a Trek Modane and a Colnago C series - Both of which are expensive full on race bikes so just don't get it ?

In answer to some responses referencing train stations etc you would not park a $3000+ race bike at a train station ! If you can afford a bike like that then you can also afford a hybrid or cheaper bike for the commute.

To me dragging all that extra weight around just so you can park your bike up on the odd occasion there is no bench / curb / fence etc seems nuts !

I mean adding probably half the entire weight of the bike on a bolt on extra just so it can stand up by itself seems stupid.

I have nothing against them specifically - I just don't get why put one on such a nice bike, surely if one is so inclined to have a kick stand forget buying a carbon bike and just get a cheap audax or tourer instead ?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    mr_eddy wrote:
    The bikes I have seen them on vary but all were riding bikes (not bikes on display) and several were top end race bikes - I saw a kick stand bolted onto a Trek Modane and a Colnago C series - Both of which are expensive full on race bikes so just don't get it ?

In answer to some responses referencing train stations etc you would not park a $3000+ race bike at a train station ! If you can afford a bike like that then you can also afford a hybrid or cheaper bike for the commute.

To me dragging all that extra weight around just so you can park your bike up on the odd occasion there is no bench / curb / fence etc seems nuts !

I mean adding probably half the entire weight of the bike on a bolt on extra just so it can stand up by itself seems stupid.

I have nothing against them specifically - I just don't get why put one on such a nice bike, surely if one is so inclined to have a kick stand forget buying a carbon bike and just get a cheap audax or tourer instead ?

Broadly speaking, kickstands are not a rum idea. I wouldn't fit one on a lightweight road bicycle, but that doesn't make it a silly idea. There's something quite cool about somebody lolloping around (or even sprinting around) on a superdoopcarbo-fantastic C50 or similar and then kicking out a stand when they pop into a cafe.

Many cyclists (particularly those who have come recently to the sport) are inclined to get slightly ounce-obsessed. On most rides, particularly those without big climbs, the weight of a stand would make little difference. Most of us carry far more than the weight of a kickstand in excess fat. I certainly do.

I think the OP might have more fun if he or she enjoys the ride rather than worrying about how other people enjoy theirs. It really is just a bicycle and it really is up to the rider or owner.

And before you think about taking issue with my point, please be aware that I am right. Always.
  • Matthewfalle
    Debeli wrote:
    mr_eddy wrote:

Broadly speaking, kickstands are not a rum idea. I wouldn't fit one on a lightweight road bicycle, but that doesn't make it a silly idea. There's something quite cool about somebody lolloping around (or even sprinting around) on a superdoopcarbo-fantastic C50 or similar and then kicking out a stand when they pop into a cafe.

Many cyclists (particularly those who have come recently to the sport) are inclined to get slightly ounce-obsessed. On most rides, particularly those without big climbs, the weight of a stand would make little difference. Most of us carry far more than the weight of a kickstand in excess fat. I certainly do.

I think the OP might have more fun if he or she enjoys the ride rather than worrying about how other people enjoy theirs. It really is just a bicycle and it really is up to the rider or owner.

And before you think about taking issue with my point, please be aware that I am right. Always.

Chapeau. And to you Sir, I raise my glass. Very well said.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thread reminded me of this bike http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,,18875,detail.html

Electric roadie AND a Kick Stand :D
  • I had one growing up in the states. It is because bike racks are much less common, and similarly bike theft is much less common in the U.S. In lots of areas you can normally pull up outside of a shop, put it on the kickstand and walk inside without locking it, as bikes are not seen as high priority items to steal.

I don't understand why people take issue with what people put on their bikes. It is worth it if they use it more.
  • eddiefiola wrote:
    Thread reminded me of this bike http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,,18875,detail.html

Electric roadie AND a Kick Stand :D

Plus rear-view mirror! That is Ace.
  • ForumNewbie

Is there a difference between laying your bike carefully down on Tarmac and muddy wet grass? Or come to think of it dry grass, astroturth or athletics track?

And why only lay down an audax bike? Why not a communter or race bike?
    I don't like laying down the bike anywhere, especially on wet muddy grass, so having a kickstand is a bonus. If going into a café or shop, it's not always appreciated laying the bike against the shop/café window, so again the kickstand can be a bonus.

I agree it's extra weight, but not even nearly half the weight of the bike as another poster has claimed.

If some people want to put them on their expensive bikes surely that's up to them!
  • mr_eddy
    Lots of replies which is great. Look for the record I do not have anything against people using them just personally I am not a fine and that is my opinion. My point I was trying to make is if someone is committed to adding say 2kg of extra weight then why drop several thousand dollars/pounds on a bike that has the sole intention of being light weight - at the end of the day if someone wants a top end carbon race bike chances are they were interested in it for the lack of weight. If you add a heavy kick stand then clearly weight does not concern you so I don't understand why they would not get a cheaper metal bike that may have the same components but cost a whole lot less! Again this is my opinion and despite what some people fail to realise judging by some of the responses I am absolutely entitled to my own opinion.
  • Matthewfalle
    So you want the stiffness, ride quality, technology, experience and cachet of owning a top end bike with top end components for someone who may be a top end rider but wants the practicality of a side stand?

Can't see any problem in at all really. In fact, as per the above, it's actually pretty rather cool.

Can't really see an ali stand being a couple of kilos either, so no real weight penalty in fact.

Starting all to sound pretty funky really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Kick stand on a high performance bike? Would you put a roof rack on a Ferrari too?

Obviously it's down to the individual to do what he likes with his bike. Seems a bit odd to me though.

As a general rule I think things function better when they're designed and being used to do specific tasks. I.e having the right tool for the job.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Matthewfalle
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Kick stand on a high performance bike? Would you put a roof rack on a Ferrari too.

Yes I would - means that I can carry my skis/Ritte/whatever wherever I want to.

If I could afford a Ferrari then I'll do what I want with it.

It's like that kid a few months ago who posted a picture of a Fireblade with soft luggage and a Lamborghini with a bike rack mocking them then threw a sulk when it was pointed out that you could load your 'Blade with stuff, hoon somewhere, unload, hoon some moe then load up and hoon back - massive speed massive mileage touring/hooning combo.

Asme for the Ferrari above - A young Diana Rigg in the passenger seat, Ritte on the back/top, Italian Alps/Dolomites here we come. Can't really beaten.

And it'll annoy all the plebs who can't afford a Ferrari.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Sounds like an opportunity to me : Carbon kick-stands anyone?

(BTW I'd love to know what a 2kg kickstand is made out of... :lol: )
  • ForumNewbie
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Lots of replies which is great. Look for the record I do not have anything against people using them just personally I am not a fine and that is my opinion. My point I was trying to make is if someone is committed to adding say 2kg of extra weight then why drop several thousand dollars/pounds on a bike that has the sole intention of being light weight - at the end of the day if someone wants a top end carbon race bike chances are they were interested in it for the lack of weight. If you add a heavy kick stand then clearly weight does not concern you so I don't understand why they would not get a cheaper metal bike that may have the same components but cost a whole lot less! Again this is my opinion and despite what some people fail to realise judging by some of the responses I am absolutely entitled to my own opinion.
    In my case, my Audax bike weighs about 11.2 kg and the kickstand probably adds about 0.5 kg, so not that much extra weight as I also sometimes have a rack on the back with a rackpack on top.

However for an expensive road bike maybe the Upstand (see links below) would be a option as only weighs 40 grams and is not clamped to the frame:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22 ... he-upstand
    http://upstandingbicycle.com/installation/
  • mr_eddy wrote:

Since when was light weight the sole reason to buy a high end bike? Apart from anything else, a few hundred can get you that if you know what you're doing. If you use heavy clinchers rather than tubs then clearly weight doesn't concern you.

And I imagine that a modem kick stand won't weigh 2kg. :lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    With a high end race bike though you are paying a lot of money for a lighter bike - it might not be the only thing you are paying for but it certainly is one of the things you pay for. A kick stand is hardly an essential item - it doesn't help the bike do what it is built to do - it's a bit like buying a colnago C59 and fitting a rack and a basket.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    With a high end race bike though you are paying a lot of money for a lighter bike - it might not be the only thing you are paying for but it certainly is one of the things you pay for. A kick stand is hardly an essential item - it doesn't help the bike do what it is built to do - it's a bit like buying a colnago C59 and fitting a rack and a basket.

And that, with discs, with be a fantastic commuter.

Again, can't see any problem in that.

Seems that the weekend warriors who think they are "Brad" or "Cav" can't seem to mix top end technology with utter cool praticality

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • With a high end race bike though you are paying a lot of money for a lighter bike - it might not be the only thing you are paying for but it certainly is one of the things you pay for. A kick stand is hardly an essential item - it doesn't help the bike do what it is built to do - it's a bit like buying a colnago C59 and fitting a rack and a basket.

Well, it's just a useful thing, isn't it? I can't say I have any interest myself, but the most ridiculous outcome in this scenario is wanting a stand but refusing to fit it for the sake of a few hundred grams, or because 'that bike shouldn't have a kick stand'

We're getting dangerously close to that old chestnut of non-elite racers buying nice kit because they can - if you want to own that bike and put a kick stand on it, why shouldn't you? It's barely more ridiculous than putting on sensible clinchers that can put up with British roads, or indeed riding a bike that was designed for grand tour level at amateur speeds.
  • With a high end race bike though you are paying a lot of money for a lighter bike - it might not be the only thing you are paying for but it certainly is one of the things you pay for. A kick stand is hardly an essential item - it doesn't help the bike do what it is built to do - it's a bit like buying a colnago C59 and fitting a rack and a basket.

Think of it this way: the high end racers are designed for high power outputs and very high speeds, which 95% of amateur cyclists will never be able to utilise. If you can't use the bike to the fullest, why not make sure your shiny new top end bike get's used to the fullest you need it?

Lot's of snobbery in here!
  • I can only assume that with all the conviction some people are displaying they're seriously considering installing kick stands on their bikes.

I look forward to seeing the pictures :wink:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Matthewfalle
    To tell the truth, it's actually a darn good idea that I didn't know you could get for adults road bikes (apart from shoppers).

May well look into one for the high speed trainer/summer commuter and see how it goes from there.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.