Pacenti SL23 owners

tomh101
tomh101 Posts: 21
edited February 2015 in Workshop
What tyres do you use? I have these rims built onto some R45s waiting to go on a new bike which will happen soon. Just bought some Vittoria Open Corsa SC's and they won't go on the rim. Not even close. I know all the tricks about making sure the first bead is in the well of the rim profile and to use a slim rimtape.
I'm just wondering if there are any tyres out there that are a little looser?

Comments

• I might sound a bit harsh and I do apologie in advance.

You spent extra to get tubeless rims and you should fit tubeless tyres, otherwise it was all a bit pointless. With Stans tape and without an inner tube, everything will be a lot simpler... your problem is the inner tube, that takes up space and causes friction making the tyre too tight.

Get a pair of Schwalbe ONE and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I might sound a bit harsh and I do apologie in advance.

You spent extra to get tubeless rims and you should fit tubeless tyres, otherwise it was all a bit pointless. With Stans tape and without an inner tube, everything will be a lot simpler... your problem is the inner tube, that takes up space and causes friction making the tyre too tight.

Get a pair of Schwalbe ONE and happy days

+1, and you will have full benefit of rim and tyre
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    However if you do still want to persevere with normal tubed tyres there are a few pointers in this thread from last year.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 22972.html

A Kool Stop tyre bead lever might be a useful acquisition. Also suggestion that Michelin Pro4 SC or Conti GP4000S may prove easier to fit. However as Ugo suggests, fitting tubed tyres to a tubeless rim is likely to lead to difficulties.
  • arlowood wrote:
    However if you do still want to persevere with normal tubed tyres there are a few pointers in this thread from last year.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 22972.html

A Kool Stop tyre bead lever might be a useful acquisition. Also suggestion that Michelin Pro4 SC or Conti GP4000S may prove easier to fit.

It's all rather pointless and this is why: I have seen people struggle to fit a tyre, succeed and then never use the wheels in fear of a puncture on the road, knowing they won't be able to repeat the operation with basic tools they can fit in their saddle bag. Moral: half a grand of wheels as good as a bog roll, if you don't want to use them.

SO, the only solution is to fit a tubeless tyre + sealant, safe in the knowledge that unless you shred the tyre with a shard of glass, you won't puncture. Flint, thorns, small glass and debris, which cause the vast majority of flats are no match for the sealant. You can then also carry a tiny tube as emergency spare, if you fancy a fight with the rim
  • If you do want clinchers, I got in contact with the very nice people at FairWheels bikes in the US who apparently helped with the development of these rims. I asked:

"....I'd been considering Schwalbe Ultremos, Schwalbe Ones, Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather SuperLite, Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Slick and Michelin Pro4 Service Course (all in 23c) but am open to any other suggestions...."

Their reply back was:

"...My first choice would be the Vredestein Senso All Weather superlite. I ride these tires and love them. They aren't terribly difficult to fit on the SL23 rims..."

I was leaning towards the Vredestein anyway and although I'm terrible at fitting tyres I got them on (even with the super chunky Superstar rim tape). Not looking forward to having to change a tube in a hurry before my clubmates kill me though.

In terms of levers, the general consensus seems to be that the VAR lever is the probably the best and I keep meaning to order one.
  • tomh101 wrote:
    What tyres do you use? I have these rims built onto some R45s waiting to go on a new bike which will happen soon. Just bought some Vittoria Open Corsa SC's and they won't go on the rim. Not even close. I know all the tricks about making sure the first bead is in the well of the rim profile and to use a slim rimtape.
    I'm just wondering if there are any tyres out there that are a little looser?

I'd definitely say get some tubeless tyres on them, purely due to how tight any tyre is going to be.

I've put Conti GP4000s tyres on mine, purely to see if I could get them on, and managed to get them on using my hands.

Just fitted Schwalbe One tubeless and they were ridiculously tight (even on Stan's yellow tape). Got one side on with just using my hands but couldn't get the other side on. In the end I used a tyre lever to flick it over. Put some sealant in and pumped up to 100 psi and they held perfectly overnight.
  • In the end I used a tyre lever to flick it over. Put some sealant in and pumped up to 100 psi and they held perfectly overnight.

I am not aware of a tubeless tyre that you can fit with your hands only. If that was the case, you'd have problems building up the necessary pressure to seal it
  • Oh I see what you mean, I had heard that you weren't supposed to use tyre levers in case it damages the tubeless bead or rim tape but it seemed to be okay.
  • This is helpful, thanks, Ugo - as I'm just planning on sorting the boy's wheels
    Schwalbe ONE tubeless
    Stans tape
    Stans sealant

How do the Schwalbes size up? I know a few people have found the CR1 SL pretty tight for tyres in a 25C. Tubeless seems to be the way to go for him as I've never needed to teach him to fix a flat as he's never had one on the Rubino Pros. He can always phone for a lift anyhow.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    This is helpful, thanks, Ugo - as I'm just planning on sorting the boy's wheels
    Schwalbe ONE tubeless
    Stans tape
    Stans sealant

How do the Schwalbes size up? I know a few people have found the CR1 SL pretty tight for tyres in a 25C. Tubeless seems to be the way to go for him as I've never needed to teach him to fix a flat as he's never had one on the Rubino Pros. He can always phone for a lift anyhow.

I hope you've also got a pair of tubeless valves too! :)

23mm tubeless Ones measure bang-on 24mm wide on my 23mm Archetypes. 25mm tubeless Ones measure 26-26.1mm wide on my 24mm SL23s.
  • Yup - I have the valves already - just need the other bits.

Thanks for the tyre sizes!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I obviously snoozed, and loozed. The Schwalbe One tubeless tyres are out of stock on Bike24 now! Curses!
  • 23C and 28C here http://www.acycles.co.uk/schwalbe-one-e ... oCVtHw_wcB for £32 Never heard of acycles before
  • munkster
    Cheers I had seen those. About a tenner an end more than Bike24 though, I'm not in *that* much of a rush (haven't built the wheels yet!) so will wait for them to hopefully come back in stock.
  • munkster wrote:
    Cheers I had seen those. About a tenner an end more than Bike24 though, I'm not in *that* much of a rush (haven't built the wheels yet!) so will wait for them to hopefully come back in stock.

Yeah - I hadn't seen the Bike24 price before I posted so, yes, I'll be waiting too!
  • In Italy they rave about the Atom Galaktic, currently 28 quid on CRC... just saying... :wink:
  • munkster
    the Atom Galaktic

Not tried tubeless before so I am totally open to any of these options to be honest. I had seen these Hutchinson things before but got the impression the Schwalbes were the way to go. Maybe I'll do a little more reading.

Apologies to hiijack the thread, I am guessing we are wavering towards "Road Buying Advice" here, for which I apologise. :wink:
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    In Italy they rave about the Atom Galaktic, currently 28 quid on CRC... just saying... :wink:

A good chunk lighter too.