Cassette issue?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Tried to hijack another post but suspect it may be a different issue with the cassette so thought I'd post up as a new topic.
When my bike is on the workstand and I turn the pedals (i.e. wheel and cassette both turning together) I notice a slight wobble on the cassette relative to the wheel - looks similar to a car wheel with a poorly fitted hubcap. The wheels are brand new and running truly and the lockring is tight, there is no play in the cassette when I try to move it by hand and all the spacers are in place and correctly orientated. I did notice it on the previous wheels as well but thought it was just down to the hub which had quite a bit of lateral movement on it, one of several reasons that I binned the wheels. I have two other bikes and none of them demonstrate this behaviour. I am now having trouble indexing my gears as well, something is definitely wrong back there and I cannot for the life of me work it out. I am generally pretty self sufficient when it comes to working on my bikes and I have plenty of experience of building them and maintaining them so it's annoying me for that reason too. I'm starting to think along the lines of a slight twisting of the rear drop outs causing the wheel to sit out of alignment, can't think what would have caused this though? Any ideas, anyone?

Edit - It's a 9 speed SRAM cassette, Shimano RS500 C30 wheels with 8/9/10 hub
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    If the cassette is tight on the freehub> ignore.
  • crescent
    That's pretty much the approach I've decided on. The gear indexing problem was resolved by replacing the cable - sweet as a nut now. But still wobbling!!!
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Take the cassette off the wheel. Fit the wheel on the bike and give it a spin by hand. If the free hub is wobbly, that's your problem, if not it's the cassette. Change whichever is the guilty party.
  • crescent
    The hub is fine, it's a brand new wheel and the wobbling is much reduced since changing wheels. I did notice when I was messing about with the cassette today that the spacers between the cogs are not the same thickness all the way round. They are keyed so they can only go on one way but that is what is giving it the "wobbly" appearance. I've never noticed this before and it's certainly not the case on my other bikes (SRAM and Campagnolo cassettes, both 10 speed).