Bike decison Canyon Ultimate or Bianchi Oltre

dan45a
dan45a Posts: 143
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm looking to change my 2010 Giant TCR Advanced this spring. I want another quick/race type bike, I have a budget of £2-3k.

I am down to 2 bikes:-

Bianchi Oltre XR1 Ultegra (without wheels cost is £2690) will use my own Fulcrum racing 3 wheels for now.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Aero (£2499)

Canyon seems to be getting lots of great reviews, build is good, cant see a reason not to get one, but wonder would I regret not getting the Binachi?

Can't find much feeback or reviews on the Oltre XR1 (lower grade carbon version), XR2 has amazing reviews but wondering if the XR1 is that much different.

Any advice or experiences appreciated.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The one that fits best

(sorry)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    The one that fits best

(sorry)

That might be hard with a Canyon.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ddraver wrote:
    The one that fits best

(sorry)

You don't need to sit on a bike or see it in the flesh at all to know it fits, you just need to know your fit or to want the exact same position you have on your existing bike and be able to translate it over.

People who think you have to sit on a bike to know if it fits generally are those who know nothing about the above. Those who do know the above will always revert to these measurements when buying.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    OP, only you will know what you will regret. Personally I'd regret buying either of those bikes if was spending that budget.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    The one that fits best

(sorry)

gives an indication then eh?
    - @ddraver
  • dan45a
    mfin - do you have any recommendations for that budget?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The Oltre is a cracking looking bike and as far as I can gather the main difference between XR1 and XR2 is 200g and not being named after an early 80s hot Ford Fiesta.

I know which I'd buy, go with your heart as the Oltre will make you feel way more special than the canyon. You'll get far better sales / after sales support too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mfin wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    The one that fits best

(sorry)

You don't need to sit on a bike or see it in the flesh at all to know it fits, you just need to know your fit or to want the exact same position you have on your existing bike and be able to translate it over.

People who think you have to sit on a bike to know if it fits generally are those who know nothing about the above. Those who do know the above will always revert to these measurements when buying.

fair point
  • dan45a
    Thanks for the responses

Going to see an oltre xr1 Saturday, size it up. See how good it looks on the flesh..
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • I own and love two Canyons but if I could afford an Oltre I'd have one in a heartbeat
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Not quite in the same price bracket but I went with my heart and bought a Bianchi Intenso over an Endurace.

I've not regretted it for a moment. I'm sure the Endurace would have been excellent, but I don't think I would have LOVED it.

I guess that could apply to your situation.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • ddraver
    In defence of Canyon, the italian that rides in our group rides a Bianchi and openly admits that, in Italy, they are considered the Fiat of Italian Bicycles ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Think of it as a VW vs a Fiat then ;-)

I have a Canyon Ultimate as well as a Supersix Himod, The Canyon is a great bike comfy/quick not bad looking etc. I think people look at Italian bikes and think the are something special when often they do the same job as most other bikes. A Canyon with some nice wheels on it will do anything you need it to do. But so will a Binchi just it will cost more spec. for spec.
  • ddraver
    I think that's quite a good analogy actually :)

The point I'm trying to make is that just becasue it's been painted blue and has an Italian Flag sticker on it doesnt mean that it's demonstrably any better/worse than anything else.

If I were you Dan, I'd print off or write down the geometry charts of both bikes and take them with you so you can at least compare the two together if the Bianchi doesnt float your boat.

Edit - and the chart of your current bike too, with a note of anything you might have changed - handlebar, stem length, layback post etc
    - @ddraver
  • I have an oltre XR1 and love it. Wouldnt change it for anything. Personal choice but i'd choose it over a canyon everytime.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Bianchi's are usually attractive bikes, but I am not a huge fan of the celeste. Shoot me now.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    I understand the hero worship of Italian frames in the days they were a) shrouded in mystique and built by wizened old men in the back streets of a town people had never heard of, let alone visited and b) when they were ridden by hero riders and largely unaffordable to the average UK buyer.

But in the days of carbon? Not so much. The 'new world' likes of Cannondale,
    Cervelo, Trek, Giant et al showed them a clean pair of heels and we still now see prices loaded onto Italian frames purely because they're 'Italian' (albeit made in the Far East like most today). The prices of some deeply average 'off the shelf' Italian bikes baffles me.

Given a blind test who here could tell the difference between a Bianchi, a Trek and a Scott? Not many I'd wager.

But then we all buy with hearts from time to time, so I understand choosing a Bianchi over a Canyon. As ever though the fit should drive the decision.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Agree fit comes first, but then value was a very close second for me.

My Super Record Canyon was cheaper than a much lower spec Bianchi [even though I love the Oltre], there just wasn't any value in the Bianchi for me.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I see alot of the comment, which ever fits best, but what determines that? Surely with changes to seatpost, saddle, bars and stem any position can be acheived?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Think of it as a VW vs a Fiat then ;-)

I have a Canyon Ultimate as well as a Supersix Himod, The Canyon is a great bike comfy/quick not bad looking etc. I think people look at Italian bikes and think the are something special when often they do the same job as most other bikes. A Canyon with some nice wheels on it will do anything you need it to do. But so will a Binchi just it will cost more spec. for spec.

How do you find the supersize high mod compared to the Canyon?
  • dan45a
    Went to see the oltre xr1 yesterday, had a quick spin out on it. Was a bit big for me as was 55cm but got the idea, very stiff and quick which is what I'm looking for.

Very nice looking bike, was in Celeste colour but I'd want the Matt black. I did really like it.

I get from the comments that its not as good value as the canyon, and to make my decision even harder I'm working in Germany not far from the canyon factory next month so have the option to pay in euros on collection saving another £400 on the ultimate sl cf 9.0.

It's definitely a heart vs head decision.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Still love to hear any comments from owners of either of these bikes. Cheers
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Go to Koblenz and test the canyon there?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • nibby wrote:
    Think of it as a VW vs a Fiat then ;-)

How do you find the supersize high mod compared to the Canyon?

They are both very nice to ride and I have done 150+ miles rides on both and find the comfy, the Cannondale was 5k the Canyon 1.8k and there is not much difference to ride. The Dale is slightly stiffer and a touch lighter but that is more due to the groupset.

To the OP if you can get a Canyon in Euros you will get a lot of bike for your money with a Canyon. If you go to any local crits you will see a few Canyons normally and every rider I have spoken to with one has always praised it.
  • dan45a wrote:

It's definitely a heart vs head decision.
    Exactly, and it's not that Canyon = head and Bianchi = heart. Both are as lust-worthy and/or technical as you want. It's not about Teutonic Vorsprung durch Technik or Italian cuore or dolce vita. It's about your head and your heart. I have 2 equally expensive road bikes and the one that gets ridden is the one that looks the best and motivates me to get out and ride it. The other one is a machine, a tool for riding. It doesn't motivate me nearly as much.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dan45a
    Well I've finally decided and taken the plunge.

Ordered the bianchi xr1 ultegra. Should arrive last week of March or just into April. Will be fitting my fulcrum racing 3 wheels to start but will move onto a search for new wheels when funds allow.

Very excited, thanks for all the comments.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Lovely. Look forward to seeing pics.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Looks great. Get some better pics up in the Your Road Bikes section.
  • Lovely, I have one of these with Chorus on its way to funnily enough replace my Canyon Ultimate that I am going through a warranty claim with Canyon about at the moment. As nice as the Canyon was the Bianchi is definitely prettier.