Is it f***ed?

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited February 2015 in Road general
I stopped for a wazz, leant the bike up against a tree on the verge and turned on the sprinkers.

The bike then slipped forward and toppled over. Luckily it's fall was broken a :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: massive stone. It didn't make alot of noise, so was expecting to just find some paint damage, but it's made a dent in the Top Tube appoximatley 3 to 4mm deep.

It's an ally frame, carry on or is it over?
10984630_10152907798829230_4884007798686878158_n.jpg?oh=9eb1039e525a34484b1439a05c320a74&oe=558F950B
10997005_10152907799124230_1368696649624672733_n.jpg?oh=c4dcf936fd7bc85b92a98f771654fa77&oe=5549B88A&__gda__=1432074463_74c284fc23f3037668f049888302a19d

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I doubt it, but a dink like that is really really annoying.
    It looks just cosmetic, however just be on the safe side geta professional to look over it.
    Thin ally tubing is actually quite delicate... my CaaD10 has survived a similar fall... when leant against a fence waiting for a TT, wind blew and down she went....my dink is not visible but I know it is there :evil:
  • Cosmetic, forget about it...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep. I've a handlebar dent on my Alu bike that I did about 5 years back. Its fine.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Put a name sticker over it. That should hold it together fine.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    No...just one more battle scar !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Depends on if you want a new bike or not :wink:
  • If I remember my metallurgy properly (it's been 30 years), aluminium work hardens - that bit of the bike will be stronger than the rest... :wink:

Cosmetic :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's fine - no problem at all with that.

You want to see the ding in the down tube of my holiday home bike if you're worried about that trifle.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you want to pull it out you can try to suck it out. How strong are your lungs?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Do not worry. I have a Cannondale that is converted to single speed, stripped all the paint off it, and polished it up. With paint on, from the factory, it looked perfect. Underneath there were a couple of (minor) dings in the tubing which had been filled and sanded, so even Cannondale use frames with dents in them.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • peat
    Thanks boys.

My bottom lip has just about stopped trembling now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do not worry. I have a Cannondale that is converted to single speed, stripped all the paint off it, and polished it up. With paint on, from the factory, it looked perfect. Underneath there were a couple of (minor) dings in the tubing which had been filled and sanded, so even Cannondale use frames with dents in them.

Thats a bit shocking to me :shock:

'Metal with a memory' was a phrase I heard from haters when aluminium was a fairly new material and I got a Cannondale many years ago.
    Never did work out what was going to happen.
    It sounds like all the little jolts the frame gets are going to add up and then one day 'BOOM' the bike will think it had landed on a boulder from a 50' drop, when you had actually only hopped a kerb.

It was b*ll*cks and the trek will be fine. As some one said, its a battle scar. Use and (slightly) abuse (enjoy) the bike :wink:

Next time you take a wizz, lean the bike drive side in. A/ it might not fall over, and B/ you will have symmetrical damage which is structurally better :D
  • jgsi
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do not worry. I have a Cannondale that is converted to single speed, stripped all the paint off it, and polished it up. With paint on, from the factory, it looked perfect. Underneath there were a couple of (minor) dings in the tubing which had been filled and sanded, so even Cannondale use frames with dents in them.

Thats a bit shocking to me :shock:

'Metal with a memory' was a phrase I heard from haters when aluminium was a fairly new material and I got a Cannondale many years ago.
    Never did work out what was going to happen.
    It sounds like all the little jolts the frame gets are going to add up and then one day 'BOOM' the bike will think it had landed on a boulder from a 50' drop, when you had actually only hopped a kerb.

It was b*ll*cks and the trek will be fine. As some one said, its a battle scar. Use and (slightly) abuse (enjoy) the bike :wink:

Next time you take a wizz, lean the bike drive side in. A/ it might not fall over, and B/ you will have symmetrical damage which is structurally better :D

just to let you know, 'they' are still out there... a reply to thread a few weeks back contained the gem of internet wisdom that ally has 5 year life span.. cant remember which muppet said it though... but it was true 'cos he read on the internet ...
  • Peat wrote:
    I stopped for a wazz...

You stopped? :shock:

racing-bike-pee1.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    If I tried to do that it wouldn't just be the bike that fell over. There'd be a tangled mess of bike, limbs on the floor. With the added embarrassment of having it out and lying in a puddle of wee.
    Stopping is definitely the lesser evil for a tool like me.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    If I tried to do that it wouldn't just be the bike that fell over. There'd be a tangled mess of bike, limbs on the floor. With the added embarrassment of having it out and lying in a puddle of wee.

I'd be worried about getting it tangled in the chain or rear wheel :shock: :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'd be worried about getting it tangled in the chain or rear wheel :shock: :wink::wink:
    Don't mention a hot disc then. :lol:
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    I know your pain!
    My car was in for a service a few months ago so I rode down to the garage to collect it when ready.
    Rested my bike against the wall while I put my helmet/gloves in the car and saw the bike fall out of the corner of my eye. By then my ninja reflexes kicked in so I extended my leg rearwards to catch it with my leg to save battle damage. However it landed on the back of my foot rather than the nice soft calf I was aiming for and dinged the side of the top tube in a similar position to yours. I often wonder if the damage would have been less if I'd just let it fall.
    Every ding and scratch can tell a story, yours tells us you have a small bladder!

I have considered sanding it down, filling and respraying but I'd probably make it look even worse than it does already.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • Veronese68 wrote:

...and you'd probably do horrible damage to your helmet. :shock:
  • jgsi
    Peat wrote:
    I stopped for a wazz...

You stopped? :shock:

racing-bike-pee1.jpg

Darley Moor would have kittens if one tried that one there.
  • peat
    Do they do Crits at Darley Moor then?

I've driven Superkarts there. Lots of things to hit.
  • jgsi
    Peat wrote:
    Do they do Crits at Darley Moor then?

I've driven Superkarts there. Lots of things to hit.
    Quite a few events over the season.. BC and TLI.. opposite way round.. so the kerbs are out to get you as well.