Commuting Bike

scott1sh
scott1sh Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Commuting general
Hi all i am looking for some advice.

I will be soon going on to a new shift pattern at work which sees me finishing at midnight for 7 nights every 5 weeks.

It will be a 14mile ride home mainly on cycle path (national route 7) and some road/pavements

this is my route

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Glasg ... 403085!3e1

Ideally looking to spend around £200-£400 as long as its good sturdy bike.

Also some good puncture-resistant/proof tyres (schwalbe marathon plus etc) don't fancy changing a tyre at midnight lol.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 14 miles you want a reasonably fast bike, i've no idea of what quality of surface you'll be using, it also depends on what you'll be carrying and how important mudguards are to you.

I use slightly thicker hybrid type tyres, I've had two punctures in 5000 miles, neither of them needed a roadside repair (slow punctures) and you can always get a aerosol can of moose to avoid a roadside change, this saves the cost and downside of the SM+ tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • For most of that route, especially through places like Yoker and Clydebank, you are also going to need a reliable firearm for protection. :lol:

Sorry, not helpful.