Presta or Schrader?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Chaps,
Sorting out swapping my wheels over in the next few days - recently picked up a pair of Mavic Crossrides.

The Mavics have an adapter in the rim which means I can fit either Schrader or Presta valved tubes (not going tubeless just yet...).

Current tubes are Presta but will be putting new tubes on the mavics along with new tyres.

Any reason I should swap to Schrader?

Advantage of Presta that I can think of is the lock nut stops the tube/valve rotating at low pressure and makes it easier to blow back up.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presta look nicer but are a pain when the little knobbie bit snaps off.

Schrader are more enduro and manly.

I like Presta because I am like a racing snake, but I think it makes squat difference really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got some Schrader tubes which have a threaded value and screw down. Just what fits the rim really. Or squat like CD says.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I'm not keen on presta, I think they are good for the high pressures used on roadies tho.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A few years ago I somehow ended up the only person in my group of regular riding mates who had presta. Was entirely unhelpful not being able to swap out a second tube on one of those unlucky days out

Just find the wheels you want at the right price. Don't give the valve type a second thought.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad
    Maro wrote:
    I'm not keen on presta, I think they are good for the high pressures used on roadies tho.

High pressure?

My shock runs close to 200psi with a Schrader valve...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Maro wrote:

Has nothing to do. With pressure, see above. But all to do with rim thickness, or lack of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I didn't know people still used schrader. I've been using presta for years, I've no reason not to. They're easier to deflate when changing tyres etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    As Nick said, whatever fits in the holes in the rims.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As he's already covered that in the first post.........

I prefer presta, but if you are using Schreader already, then stick with those until you need new tubes, or get some decent (lighter) tubes to go in now and use the old ones as spares.

In use there is no real difference, but just be sure your pump fits, you can get a presta to schreader adaptor if you use both but it can be a faff (though less than keep swapping the adaptor in the pump head!), or get a Blackburn which fits both valves without any messing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks chaps.
    As there seems to be no real differences I'll stick with what I have - Presta.

Thanks.
  • Makes little difference it would mostly come down to what your bike would take and the availability of tubes for your tyres. e.g. It would make little sense for me to go schrader on my road bike as it would leave me with a limited choice of tubes.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Continental schrada tubes come with a little nut that holds the valve in position on the rim.
    I don't really have an opinion other than that the Presta ones look like they might be more fragile.