Merino mesh base layer

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 631
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I found this merino mesh base layer http://www.nordiclifeuk.co.uk/active-base-layers/68/563/active-base-layer/P-classic-original-mesh-t-shirt#item-description and wondered if it might help me.
I tend to be warm when cycling hard and usually manage to sweat regardless of the outside temperature.
I wear a winter shirt with windproof panels on the front and any baselayer I wear gets damp so I am cold if I slow down or stop.

Has anyone tried a merino mesh layer? Does it cope well with being sweaty?

I don't normally spend this much on a cycling garment.

Comments

• TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Not sure that's really for cycling, looks more like you'd wear it visiting certain clubs.

I imagine you'd still get pretty cold wearing that if you slowed down.

Try a castelli flanders baselayer. They keep you warm and toasty but suck sweat off you and wick it away very quick. The price isn't too much different.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its more likely to be your top layer being a bit too windproof to not let the moisture out.

I have a stringy vest somewhere but only use it for the hot summer days.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've only used a mesh layer (craft mesh sleeveless) in high temperatures and found it worked well but it might work well in the cold too. The idea in warm temps is to wick the sweat away as effectively as possible to provide evaporative cooling while still allowing decent ventilation. If used under other warm layers it might still provide the wicking required and reduce the amount of damp fabric against your skin when you stop. Never tried it though.