SRAM or Shimano

gavrieldelacute
gavrieldelacute Posts: 8
edited February 2015 in MTB general
I know this has be debated for a long time, but let's settle this. Which is better?
For Downhill?
For XC/Cross Country?
For Trails?
For Road?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Neither is better or worse than the other, they are just different, I have Shimano on my main MTB, SRAM on my MTB based hybrid.

Road - Campag just because it looks sexy - at least that is the answer from a friend who has a road bike, he has 3 MTB's so I forgive him that minor aberration.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know this has be debated for a long time, but let's settle this. Which is better?
    For Downhill?
    For XC/Cross Country?
    For Trails?
    For Road?
    To have a debate one must have some facts or at least an opinion. Having used the whole range of various manufacturers, on a long terms basis, under all conditions and in all diciplines, your expert opinion is....?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    There is no 'better' just different preferences. Unless you're 12, in which case the best is SRAM, no Shimano, no SRAM is better, actually no, no-one cares.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I like Shimano for everything.

Except SRAM 10-42 cassettes.

Oh, and SRAM chains.

But Shimano everything else.

Except pedals.
  • cooldad wrote:
    To have a debate one must have some facts or at least an opinion. Having used the whole range of various manufacturers, on a long terms basis, under all conditions and in all diciplines, your expert opinion is....?

I have two bikes, both are Giant. One is an XTC, using all Shimano SLX, and the other is a Trance 3, using Shimano Deore groupset. They both work really well and I don't have anything to complain. I have only used a SRAM groupset once. My dad has a Giant Anthem X2 29er which uses the SRAM X7. It works smoothly. But since I have only used it once, I really don't consider it legit experience with the groupset.

Having said that, I kind of am going with Shimano, since I have more experience with it, but I also acknowledge SRAM.
  • njee20
    Which makes your first post even more peculiar.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For Downhill?
    For XC/Cross Country?
    For Trails?
    For Road?

I dont see why you would want different for different disciplines.
    Personally I have SRAM X0 on my DH bike because thats what it came with and Shimano XT on my XC bike because I got some good deals. They are slightly different in operation and maintenance, I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other although the SRAM shifter is nicer to use than the XT one but its a more expensive part.
    I would say the at the budget end Shimano are better quality than SRAM. Deore is just a really good, solid, reliable, simple groupset at a great price and much better quality than SRAM X5.
  • The Rookie
    Brakes however is Shimano, SRAM/AVID are just dire by comparison, not as nice to use and generally a lot less reliable as well (need more TLC rather than actual failures.

Shimano on the MTB as I never buy new so Shimano is more common at the higher end, although I used to drive the Shimano mech with a SRAM Rocket shifter which I liked, I'm now using an XT ST shifter.

SRAM on the commuter as I wanted a twist shift to both reduce weight and declutter the bars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    To be fair to SRAM the latest Avid brakes are very good indeed, but no one's quite got over how truly awful they were for a couple of years, which has done their reputation no end of damage! Must say I love my XTR brakes and wouldn't even try current XXs now! Once bitten and that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    SRAM brakes are still too expensive. I havent tried them yet though but after having Avid XX brakes which had an rrp of over £400 and were not as good as my Shimano Deores which were a fraction of the price Im in no rush to go back to Avid/SRAM brakes.
  • njee20
    Agreed, but they're now not shit, so the price (which is in line with XTR) isn't so hard to swallow. Like you though, I'm not changing.
  • njee20 wrote:

The purpose of this post is for me to know which brand is more preferred by mountain bikers, professional or amateur.
  • The Rookie
    Neither, two many variables for a simple answer, I prefer Shimano cassettes though, but that's an overall preference, if like NJee I was after an 11 it would probably be SRAM for the extra range.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I have a general preference for shimano but that doesn't mean it's any better. Just different.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sturmey Archer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I prefer shimano but I think it's because that's what I'm more familiar with.

I recently built a bike for my girlfriend, swapping some parts over from her old frame to the new one, we kept the sram drivetrain and that seemed fine to work with, but opted to change to deore brakes with which we are both very happy. Easy to get working and they work really well with nice feedback too.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    njee20 wrote:

The purpose of this post is for me to know which brand is more preferred by mountain bikers, professional or amateur.

Ametures use whatever comes on their bike or is discounted. Professionals use whatever they are given.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Stupid thread is stupid.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Stupid thread is stupid.

Then why bother reply to it?
  • The Rookie
    So you know it's stupid.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Shimano for fishing stuff - SRAM don't even do reels or lures - Amazing really.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sturmey Archer.

This, but only for #enduro