Is this normal ?

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited February 2015 in Road beginners
Hey newbie question here.

Was just adding some lube to the chain ahead of a ride and noticed this.

I know its only a cheap bike (2014 Carrera TDF) but is this normal this is only my second time riding it.

I dont think its a cassette but rather the earlier screw on type should / do they always mve like this when free wheeling

I appreciate its not easy to see on the video.

Appreciate support

Arron.

Videos below !

http://vid792.photobucket.com/albums/yy ... tiboaw.mp4

http://vid792.photobucket.com/albums/yy ... twd8z1.mp4

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    No take it back to get it sorted, messing with it could void your warranty.
  • No it's not normal at all it should be solid.
  • It's was an used bike :( likely issue ? Fix?

Cheers
  • diamonddog
    You could Google it if you fancy having a go yourself or it's off to your friendly lbs for assistance.
  • Google seems to think its normal of cheap wheels which i assume come as standard with the TDF :)
  • diamonddog
    It's worth saving for some better wheels they can make a lot of difference to your ride.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    It's worth saving for some better wheels they can make a lot of difference to your ride.

Agreed, this is my first road bike and I am just getting used to it. The plan is prob's to get used to it and then upgrade to another used but better bike rather than upgrade this there are some good almost new bargins out there

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13015583
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The precession is I think normal for a Shimano freewheel if memory serves; I don't actually have one to check but I do remember lots of 6- and 7-speed wheels on my older bikes doing that.

I can't remember if the play is normal. If you decide to replace the freewheel you can still get them, e.g.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-mf-tz21-7-speed-screw-on-freewheel-14-28-prod18964/

It's also worth checking that the axle isn't broken. Can sometimes happen on freewheel wheels due to the distance between the inboard drive side bearing and the dropout placing a large bending moment on the axle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ^^ thanks for that, after more google time I can only assume that it is normal (ish) and is just a product of design with cheap wheels.

Thanks for all help.
  • Could be a cheap wheel issue but looks like wheel axle may be slightly irregular?
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Could be a cheap wheel issue but looks like wheel axle may be slightly irregular?
    will check this tomorrow buddy and update thread. :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Could be a cheap wheel issue but looks like wheel axle may be slightly irregular?

That's often the case with freewheels. The axles, being a length of hollow bar with a thread rolled onto them, are rarely straight, and because the drive side bearing is so far away from the dropout the effect is accentuated.

It really won't affect the bike from a functional perspective.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Completely normal my old Peougeot Triathlon did it from new and gave me many years of trouble free cycling...even when I changed the hub for smaller cluster still did it....never caused any problems.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • fludey wrote:
    Completely normal my old Peougeot Triathlon did it from new and gave me many years of trouble free cycling...even when I changed the hub for smaller cluster still did it....never caused any problems.
    DesWeller wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

That's often the case with freewheels. The axles, being a length of hollow bar with a thread rolled onto them, are rarely straight, and because the drive side bearing is so far away from the dropout the effect is accentuated.

It really won't affect the bike from a functional perspective.

Thanks all. Checked the axle this morning and it is straight and true.

Sounds like it will be fine which is music to my ears as no problem means no outlay of cash :D