Gear Inch / Fire Roads

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Hopefully someone can help. Need someone who knows Sherwood Pines well to pitch in

I have a vintage (but mint condition) 92 Raleigh Dyna-Tech Sentinal rigid 26" MTB that I have converted to SS using the big ring and a superstar SS kit, Currently its set up as a 48:18 (70" gear) for my commute on semi slick 2.1 tyres, I have been using this setup for 3 months now, Prior to that I ran a 20t cog at the back (64" gear) but I span out on the flats however I want to pop the 20t cog back on and do some light gravel path stuff.

I am planning on going for a 15-20 mile blast around Sherwood Pines at the weekend, No Single track or XC/off road stuff just basic gravel fire roads / double track. If memory serves its basically flat so no hills to worry about.

Lots of stuff on various forums seem to suggest most SS MTB are running 36:18 etc but I think that would be way to spinny for the flat gravel roads, as mentioned I am not planning on doing any technical stuff or big hills / drops etc

My question is do you think a 48:20t setup will be ok for a steady ride ? Is a 64" gear ok for this sort of stuff or will it be like trying to stir cement

I know its all based on the rider, I would say that I am in pretty good shape and I am well used to riding fairly big geared SS bikes (riding SS on various bikes on daily basis for 2 years now)

Any thoughts from regular Sherwood Pines riders, especially SS riders ?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On the fire roads (not the Kitchenor trail) there are only a few short hills where you may struggle, so for the effort required I'd say you'll be fine and then just push it up those couple of short (very short) hills if you need to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.