Hello, be nice!

SNOWYLAD
SNOWYLAD Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Commuting general
Hello,

My first post and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 39 and have taken up commuting to work in the last 6 months. Currently commute 3 to 4 times a week and have a 3 mile each way journey (not very far!) . Also enjoy using my bike for weekend rides.

Currently riding a 90's Raleigh Massif mountain bike (yes i know!) and looking to upgrade to a hybrid shortly, budget is £400 and wondered if anyone had any good tips. Seen some good Giant bikes (Escape & Roam).

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Similar to those but better value is the Voodoo marasa from Halfords.

I ride a rented Roam occasionally, not a bad bike at all, but the forks are pretty much a waste of time as they are really harsh, better to just go rigid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I just got a Voodoo Bizango, not the same bike but I'm really impressed by the quality and components of the bike for the price.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Hello! For a 3 mile commute just keep your Raleigh (I commute on a Raleigh older than that). You might want to put slick tyres on it if you haven't already done so.

If you're after a new bike I wouldn't recommend a hybrid but there's threads and threads on that subject and I wouldn't want to go stirring that old chestnut again. Would I.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Hello, and welcome!

I see you have already embraced the rule of n+1 where bikes are concerned so you'll fit right in round here!

"While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • srdzk
    srdzk Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I am also new to this forum and this is my first post as well.

I live in Hatfield, Herts. Begin to commute in July 2012 on a rout 7.5 mile. Generally, I commute 5 days out of 7 all year round. I started to commute on a hybrid Cross bike, but recently changed over to a cyclocross - Saracen Hack 2. I love commuting and cycling generally! Ofcourse, I had a few punctures over the past two years, but I went into Shwalbe Marathon Plus tyres an the problems gone.

I use road, cycle pats and concrete road to get into the work place. While off, still cycling locally. Looking forward to purchase cycle computer to track my jurnays.

Anyways, this is a great forum and it's nice to be here.

Regards,
    Maurice
  • craker wrote:
    Hello! For a 3 mile commute just keep your Raleigh (I commute on a Raleigh older than that). You might want to put slick tyres on it if you haven't already done so.

Noooo, don't do it! My commute is only 4 miles but my life got immeasurably better when I went from a very cheap old Raleigh MTB to my beloved hybrid. I was instantly 20% faster on the commute for no greater level of exertion.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I would go for this http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2014 got mine last year for a 15 mile commute and never looked back, fast and reliable great bike
  • srdzk wrote:
    Hi all,

I am also new to this forum and this is my first post as well.

I live in Hatfield, Herts. Begin to commute in July 2012 on a rout 7.5 mile. Generally, I commute 5 days out of 7 all year round. I started to commute on a hybrid Cross bike, but recently changed over to a cyclocross - Saracen Hack 2. I love commuting and cycling generally! Ofcourse, I had a few punctures over the past two years, but I went into Shwalbe Marathon Plus tyres an the problems gone.

I use road, cycle pats and concrete road to get into the work place. While off, still cycling locally. Looking forward to purchase cycle computer to track my jurnays.

Anyways, this is a great forum and it's nice to be here.

Regards,
    Maurice

just run Strava on your smartphone - it will give you all of the data you will ever need
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Get a road bike

(someone had to say it)