Nutrition and dietary problems...

maharg22
maharg22 Posts: 50
edited February 2015 in Road beginners
Folks

I'm looking for some advice for nutrition before, during and after a ride.

I have to be careful what I eat as I have a gluten intolerance, this is mainly wheat gluten. I am okay with other grains but have to be very careful with the chance of cross contamination...

Oats are usually okay but the usual stuff like bread, pastas, cakes, biscuits are out! So to are some of the off the shelf power bars and some drinks.

My question is does anyone out there suffer like this and if so do you have any hints, tips or advice that you could share.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this..
British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross

Comments

• Bake your own flapjacks, choose exactly the ingredients you want and way cheaper. If you need help plenty of recipes out there. My misses makes mine and took about three batches to perfect the texture and now she varies the ingredients for me from time to time. Last batch had dark chocolate and coconut flakes in them.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    You don't need special foods or drinks to ride a bike. It's just like anything else you do, only you carry the things you eat in a pocket; stop over thinking it and take food you can eat and drink you can drink...

..and as you get accustomed to it, you don't really need to take that much of either.

...and if you are intolerant of gluten, don't eat it. It's really not rocket science.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For gluten-free, consider homemade 'rice cakes' (basically dry Chinese style fried rice made into small cakes) - search for Allen Lim. Or even plain boiled potato with salt.

Also look for gluten-free 'rice pasta'

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • bigac
    bigac Posts: 20
    Yep, I'm coeliac (Wheat and Gluten). When it comes to gels quite a few are gluten free anyway. Supermarkets are great for GF foods now. Nakd bars are good during rides (Rhubarb & Custard is a particular favourite), they are a good size (not too big) and easy to eat without feeling bloated, plus good for energy.

If you are looking at general day-to-day diet take a look at the Paleo diet as much of it follows GF requirements.