Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

BorgieBorgie Posts: 15
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking about buying a Giant Propel for this season. However, I read in the latest issue of Tour International that it's impossible to mount 25mm tires due to the lack of space under the break cables. Sounds strange to me, and might be a dealbreaker.

Can anyone confirm this?
«1

Posts

  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    What do you want 25mm tyres for anyway? If its for the supposed better rolling speeds thats still debatable.

    If its for extra comfort then the Propel is not the bike for you.
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    If its for extra comfort then the Propel is not the bike for you.

    So are you saying that if your bike rides a bit stiff, then you're not allowed to fit larger tyres for a bit more comfort and have to just put up with it? Sounds a bit daft to me. :?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Its a bike designed for flat out straight line speed. Not comfort. Look at the defy if thats what you are after.
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    It's not a TT bike and it's quite likely the OP isn't a competing world tour level rider, where every single aero advantage matters. What real world decrease do you think it will make to a riders average speed by running 25mm tyres? Ignoring the lower rolling resistance of larger tyres, the extra comfort alone is worth a lot more than saving 2watts of drag at 25mph.

    I like to run 25mm Pro4s on my Foil. Doesn't seem to slow me down at all and even if it did slow me down by 0.25mph, I'd still take them over 23s for the better ride quality.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    DKay wrote:
    It's not a TT bike and it's quite likely the OP isn't a competing world tour level rider, where every single aero advantage matters. What real world decrease do you think it will make to a riders average speed by running 25mm tyres? Ignoring the lower rolling resistance of larger tyres, the extra comfort alone is worth a lot more than saving 2watts of drag at 25mph.

    I like to run 25mm Pro4s on my Foil. Doesn't seem to slow me down at all and even if it did slow me down by 0.25mph, I'd still take them over 23s for the better ride quality.

    well if the bike cant take 25mm thats Giants decision. Not mine. The bike is an aero design and its nit uncommon for 25mm tyres not to fit. Sure the op is not a TT'er or a world circuit rider but the bike geometry is geared towards those that maybe want to be or pretend to be. Its not a comfort bike nor is it a traditional road geometry its designed to be aero. For speed. Geddit? If it dont take 25mm then move on and stop pretending its something its not.
  • Agree Molly Rosy, this 25-28mm thang is very magazine/website led and very recent. I cycled for 1/2 of the 80s, all the 90s and most of the 2000s on 23c Michelin Hi-Lite Pros or Continental Grand Prix and suffered no ill effects. For example I still had kids, my little swimmers weren't shaken & stirred to death.

    Also, as someone else pointed out on another occasion, if you go to a bike shop in Spain, Germany, Italy, France etc. good luck actually finding anything but a 23c tyre anyway.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • The Propel will take 25mm tyres. Giant Shimano run 25mm Vittoria Corsa SC's on their bikes, so you'll be fine.

    http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/pro-bike- ... mOZaJZx.97

    For what it's worth, I jumped on the 25mm fad for a summer a few years back and I couldn't tell the difference between them and a 23mm. Not one single bit.

    Anyway, the OP can run 25's on the Propel, so thread closed.
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    well if the bike cant take 25mm thats Giants decision. Not mine. The bike is an aero design and its nit uncommon for 25mm tyres not to fit. Sure the op is not a TT'er or a world circuit rider but the bike geometry is geared towards those that maybe want to be or pretend to be. Its not a comfort bike nor is it a traditional road geometry its designed to be aero. For speed. Geddit? If it dont take 25mm then move on and stop pretending its something its not.

    Well I suppose Marcel Kittel should stop pretending that his Giant Propel is something that it's not then?

    http://road.cc/content/news/122669-tour ... dvanced-sl
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Not wanting to stir up more but a 25mm tubular may fit fine but a clincher may not. Just choose your tyres carefully. Some can be bigger than others.
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,670
    Not wanting to stir up more but a 25mm tubular may fit fine but a clincher may not. Just choose your tyres carefully. Some can be bigger than others.

    Yep, and it depends what rims a tyre is mounted to.

    Increased height of the tyre profile as well as the width can create a 'no go'.

    I also agree with some of the other posters above, that this need for 25mm tyres seems to be a bit of a jump on the bandwagon thing.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 5,669
    Agree it will depend on the rim as well as the tyre - I've got some Pro4 25mm (generally accepted that these are wider than 25mm) which will not fit under the rear caliper on one set of wheels but are ok (just) on another on my old race bike.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • On my 2015 Propel sl0, I currently have 25mm Vittoria Corsa (clincher) running on the rear zipp 404 and when rear brake is in use, the brake cable is almost touching the tyre.
    The bikes that Giant Alpecin are using the Fourier brakes which provide greater clearance.
  • BorgieBorgie Posts: 15
    What do you want 25mm tyres for anyway? If its for the supposed better rolling speeds thats still debatable.

    It's not so much the extra width of the tires that's important to me but rather the question of what tire/rim combination will work. Many rims today are about 23-25mm wide. Will a 23mm tire on a 23mm rim fit? What about a 23mm tire on a 25mm rim?
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Not wanting to stir up more but a 25mm tubular may fit fine but a clincher may not. Just choose your tyres carefully. Some can be bigger than others.

    +1. IME the 25mm Michelin Pro 4 SC's come up big (height and width). I've found Conti tyres to always be a little just below or spot on their described dimensions.

    Why not try some 23mm Michelin Pro's? - they come up just over 24mm on my wheels.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Borgie wrote:
    What do you want 25mm tyres for anyway? If its for the supposed better rolling speeds thats still debatable.

    It's not so much the extra width of the tires that's important to me but rather the question of what tire/rim combination will work. Many rims today are about 23-25mm wide. Will a 23mm tire on a 23mm rim fit? What about a 23mm tire on a 25mm rim?

    The outside width does not matter, it's the inside width that counts.
    23 Mm tyres run perfect on 17-18C rims, 19 C is possible but these are made for 25 and more.
    I don't care about rolling resistance, but roadholding is significant better at lower pressures made possible by the wider rims.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311

    For what it's worth, I jumped on the 25mm fad for a summer a few years back and I couldn't tell the difference between them and a 23mm. Not one single bit.

    At the same pressure, the 25 's are worse for comfort and roadholding.
    Anyway,there isn't much difference between 23 and 25 ....
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    keezx wrote:

    For what it's worth, I jumped on the 25mm fad for a summer a few years back and I couldn't tell the difference between them and a 23mm. Not one single bit.

    At the same pressure, the 25 's are worse for comfort and roadholding.
    Anyway,there isn't much difference between 23 and 25 ....

    Which is it? :lol:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • markwb79markwb79 Posts: 926
    Well I hope they fit 25mm tyres. I just bought my propel and I only run 25mm tyres.

    As said above, the Giant team run 25mm tyres, so dont see it being an issue.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • BorgieBorgie Posts: 15
    markwb79 wrote:
    Well I hope they fit 25mm tyres. I just bought my propel and I only run 25mm tyres.

    As said above, the Giant team run 25mm tyres, so dont see it being an issue.

    But they use the Fourier brakes, which are different from the SpeedControl SL brakes.
  • markwb79markwb79 Posts: 926
    Borgie wrote:
    markwb79 wrote:
    Well I hope they fit 25mm tyres. I just bought my propel and I only run 25mm tyres.

    As said above, the Giant team run 25mm tyres, so dont see it being an issue.

    But they use the Fourier brakes, which are different from the SpeedControl SL brakes.


    And those brakes are wider?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • stepdavistepdavi Posts: 135
    Is it width that's the issue? I have a propel and am going to change wheels, possible mavic, zuus or planet x. The rear brake cable is pretty close to tyre. Has anyone got a propel with non giant wheels/tyres they can advise me on this?
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • BorgieBorgie Posts: 15
    markwb79 wrote:
    Borgie wrote:
    markwb79 wrote:
    Well I hope they fit 25mm tyres. I just bought my propel and I only run 25mm tyres.

    As said above, the Giant team run 25mm tyres, so dont see it being an issue.

    But they use the Fourier brakes, which are different from the SpeedControl SL brakes.


    And those brakes are wider?

    I'm not sure. But if the Giant Shimano Team uses 25mm tires (Fourier brakes) and Tour International says it's impossible to fit anything wider than 23mm on a Propel Advanced or Propel SL (both SpeedControl brakes as far as I know), then there's gotta be a difference in some way? Maybe the width is no problem, and it's the distance between the brake cable and tire causing the problem.
  • I'd agree it would depend which 25mm tyre you try.

    My 25mm Conti tubulars fit fine in both my Foil and Parlee Z5

    However...I recently tried to fit 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance clinchers into the Z5 and theres not really enough clearance between the stays to run them. They've been demoted to my training wheels for the Foil, and I've reverted back to 23mm for the Z5.

    The Conti 25mm tubs incidentally fit fine in the Z5 :D A 25mm tub is generally just that as its a sewn-up, closed structure. The clinchers of course can vary from what they're sold as.
  • markwb79markwb79 Posts: 926
    I'd agree it would depend which 25mm tyre you try.

    My 25mm Conti tubulars fit fine in both my Foil and Parlee Z5

    However...I recently tried to fit 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance clinchers into the Z5 and theres not really enough clearance between the stays to run them. They've been demoted to my training wheels for the Foil, and I've reverted back to 23mm for the Z5.

    The Conti 25mm tubs incidentally fit fine in the Z5 :D A 25mm tub is generally just that as its a sewn-up, closed structure. The clinchers of course can vary from what they're sold as.

    My friends dugast's compared to my Vittoria Pave (both Tubs) was massive, although they are both 25mm.

    I will check what brakes I have and if my 25mm's fit. I would be completely shocked if it didnt fit.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79markwb79 Posts: 926
    markwb79 wrote:
    I'd agree it would depend which 25mm tyre you try.

    My 25mm Conti tubulars fit fine in both my Foil and Parlee Z5

    However...I recently tried to fit 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance clinchers into the Z5 and theres not really enough clearance between the stays to run them. They've been demoted to my training wheels for the Foil, and I've reverted back to 23mm for the Z5.

    The Conti 25mm tubs incidentally fit fine in the Z5 :D A 25mm tub is generally just that as its a sewn-up, closed structure. The clinchers of course can vary from what they're sold as.

    My friends dugast's compared to my Vittoria Pave (both Tubs) was massive, although they are both 25mm.

    I will check what brakes I have and if my 25mm's fit. I would be completely shocked if it didnt fit.


    Sorry, I am lucky and have the Fourier brakes. But the way they work I find it hard to imagine that there is a difference in the wheels that fit between the Fourier and Giant Brakes.

    Just noticed that it changes the side that the cable goes to the front brakes. Most pictures have it running to the left of the brakes. But there is the odd version (mine included) where it runs to the right hand side.

    Any ideas why the change?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    DKay wrote:
    If its for extra comfort then the Propel is not the bike for you.

    So are you saying that if your bike rides a bit stiff, then you're not allowed to fit larger tyres for a bit more comfort and have to just put up with it? Sounds a bit daft to me. :?

    Thats fine if you already have the bike, but to me, buying a bike that rides a bit stiff with the intension of fitting bigger tyres to make it more comfortable sounds even dafter.
    Theres nothing to 'put up with', just don't buy the bike :roll:

    I don't buy the 25mm tyre thing though and only 'run' 23mm or less on my road bikes.
    Would be surprised if Giant made that many bikes that could not take a 25mm tyre 8)
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    Carbonator wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    If its for extra comfort then the Propel is not the bike for you.

    So are you saying that if your bike rides a bit stiff, then you're not allowed to fit larger tyres for a bit more comfort and have to just put up with it? Sounds a bit daft to me. :?

    Thats fine if you already have the bike, but to me, buying a bike that rides a bit stiff with the intension of fitting bigger tyres to make it more comfortable sounds even dafter.
    Theres nothing to 'put up with', just don't buy the bike :roll:

    Completely and utterly disagree. Having a bike which is torsionally stiff under power, but has a compliant ride is the most desirable combination of traits for a road bike. Fitting larger tyres doesn't affect how the bike reacts under power, but makes it ride more comfortably. Why is that so hard for some of you to accept that somebody might want a stiff bike, but make it ride a bit more compliantly? I just don't understand the thinking of some of you people, I really don't. Putting up with a stiff, harsh ride when you can just fit larger tyres for more comfort doesn't single you out as being more if a man, or more hardcore than somebody else. It just makes you look illogical.

    I do find the increasing backlash against larger tyres pretty funny though.
  • stepdavistepdavi Posts: 135
    I've got a 2015 propel advanced 1 and all I'm bothered about is when I get some' best'wheels they will fit. I'm not bothered about 23 tyres, I know the propel isn't the softest of bikes and I like that.
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    DKay wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    If its for extra comfort then the Propel is not the bike for you.

    So are you saying that if your bike rides a bit stiff, then you're not allowed to fit larger tyres for a bit more comfort and have to just put up with it? Sounds a bit daft to me. :?

    Thats fine if you already have the bike, but to me, buying a bike that rides a bit stiff with the intension of fitting bigger tyres to make it more comfortable sounds even dafter.
    Theres nothing to 'put up with', just don't buy the bike :roll:

    Completely and utterly disagree. Having a bike which is torsionally stiff under power, but has a compliant ride is the most desirable combination of traits for a road bike. Fitting larger tyres doesn't affect how the bike reacts under power, but makes it ride more comfortably. Why is that so hard for some of you to accept that somebody might want a stiff bike, but make it ride a bit more compliantly? I just don't understand the thinking of some of you people, I really don't. Putting up with a stiff, harsh ride when you can just fit larger tyres for more comfort doesn't single you out as being more if a man, or more hardcore than somebody else. It just makes you look illogical.

    Since when did 23mm tyres become harsh in themselves? Problem is, it has become apparent the Propel may have problems fitting 25mm tyres. So what? Don't buy the bloody thing then. There are plenty of other brands and bikes out there to choose from which are more compliant to 25mm tyres. I use 25mm tyres but even on my bike I have a task getting the rear wheel on and off. Giant built the bike this way, and if it cant take the tyre that the op wants then he has a choice. stick with 23mm or dont buy it. Its as simple as that. No one is saying you cant have a torsionally stiff bike with comfort but it has to be within the spec of the bike in the first place. if its not then tough.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    ^ Yeah, yeah. What he said.
Sign In or Register to comment.