Planet X SLX (Flanders Colours)

bakerstreet
bakerstreet Posts: 108
edited June 2015 in Cyclocross
This my recently purchased CX Bike. Its a Planet X SLX bike in Flanders colours.

PX-CXCompleteBike.jpg

PX-CXBars.jpg

PX-CXDownTube.jpg

My bike is the standard bike with 105 fitted. I got the shop to add my preferred Fizik Classic bar tape. I added some Cateye light, Elite bottle cage and standard Garmin mount. The Elite bottle cage and Fizik bar tape are good colour matches IMO.

It was a long wait to get it and Planet X's reputation of poor customer service shone through out the process. I had no less than four delivery dates given to me and the bike eventually took 5 weeks to arrive. Wiggle can track my order from the day it leaves the warehouse and send me an e-mail when it has arrived, Planet X have some work to do in that department. I've written a letter to their customer service manager.

It was bought to commute and hopefully race at the end of the year. So far, I have done just over 150 miles in the week that I have owned it and I love it. Its absolutely brilliant. I wish I had bought a CX bike years ago.

My other bike is a 2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80s. It was taking a battering on the commute and I decided it was time to invest in a commuting bike and I've also fancied a go at CX racing.

The frame on PX is much stiffer than my Defy. You can certainly feel better power transfer through the peddles. Based on my limited experience with the SLX, I would definitely buy another Planet X.

The bars are bit thin for my liking, so as soon as I loose a bit more weight, I shall treat myself to some carbon bars, which are a bit thicker. Might go for the Planet X nano bar.

The 105 works, but its isn't as fast as my SRAM Force, but I was expecting that.

The cable routing at the front of the bike os pretty poor. Its all over the place! I applied a couple of pads to stop the cables rubbing the paint off the frame.

I took it on a mixture of footpaths and roads yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I was happily pedalling through a field with not a car in sight :)

I bought it from Planet X's distributor in St Albans in Hertfordshire. Good little shop and very knowledgeable :)

Plans for the future:
New wheels (current ones don't roll well IMO and I really noticed the difference when I fitted better wheels to my road bike) It will either be Chinese Ebay 38mm Carbon clinchers or Kinesis ali clinchers
Carbon bars
Replacement of 105 to Ultegra parts (Not a necessity, but I like the look of the Ultegra shifters)
New Saddle (Standard San Marco was a gamble and I don't like it)
2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
1999 Carrera Integer MTB
2014 Planet X SLX

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I really fancy an XLS, the flanders colours are nice!

Fit some lightweight wheels and you've got a decent race bike there.
  • I looked at this bike, looks good, but I couldn't be bothered with their customer service issues.
  • Jf1428
    Jf1428 Posts: 1
    Looking at XLS as first bike as an all rounder thinking this or kaffenback ? Anyone any got any comments?
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    Don't know about the Kaffenback, other than the reviews I've read, but I do own an XLS, and bought it as an all round bike, to do a lot more road work and to replace my MTB.

I have to say I love my XLS to bits. Mine is SRAM equipped, as I got it from the PlanetX clearance shop. Top bike very light. I've had to experiment with different tyres to find the right combination of road friendliness, off road grip and puncture resistance, and think I have the balance right now!! Saying that, for winter (when my commute is 100% road) I just went with Schwalbe Marathon road tyres!

Anyway, the XLS for me (as a bigger rider), is a great combination of lightness (when the wheels are off the frame is very light), toughness, and all round fun.

From what I can see the Kaffenback is a steel framed road bike, whereas the XLS is a carbon framed CX bike. For me, my normal 3 season commute is half road half tow path, so a CX seemed the ideal bike.
  • bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Posts: 108
    I looked at this bike, looks good, but I couldn't be bothered with their customer service issues.

I suffered it because the bike represents great value for money. Their customer service will improve and I'm really pleased with the bike. I will probabaly buy another Planet X based on the bikes alone :)

Just collected it from the shop. It needed a few tweaks and I had the tyres swapped over for GatorSskin 28s for the Wiggle New Forrest Sportive tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how it fairs against tradditional road bikes on 23mm tyres with no disc brakes :)
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • That looks awesome, can't say I've seen one of those before. How you enjoying it now?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm about to buy one of these, in Flanders colours too. Guy on the phone at PX didn't instill confidence when we discussed sizing. What sizes are people buying, compared to their road bikes?

I'm usually a 56 with 110mm stem on road bikes. I'm thinking the large would be better as it's just over a 55 top tube but the guy on the phone advised a medium which seems quite small as it's just over a 53. Appreciate sizing down for TT and CX bikes but a 53 seems pretty extreme.

Any advice and feedback from PX XLS owners would be appreciated.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I'm about to buy one of these, in Flanders colours too. Guy on the phone at PX didn't instill confidence when we discussed sizing. What sizes are people buying, compared to their road bikes?

I'm usually a 56 with 110mm stem on road bikes. I'm thinking the large would be better as it's just over a 55 top tube but the guy on the phone advised a medium which seems quite small as it's just over a 53. Appreciate sizing down for TT and CX bikes but a 53 seems pretty extreme.

Deffo not the large... get something equivalent to a 54, so I would say a medium... big cross bikes are really big!
    left the forum March 2023
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Deffo not the large... get something equivalent to a 54, so I would say a medium... big cross bikes are really big!

Thanks! I think I'm going to have to take a drive up to PX and throw my leg over one. A 53.5 top tube just seems a bit too small for me, on paper.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I looked at this bike, looks good, but I couldn't be bothered with their customer service issues.

I suffered it because the bike represents great value for money. Their customer service will improve and I'm really pleased with the bike. I will probabaly buy another Planet X based on the bikes alone :)

Just collected it from the shop. It needed a few tweaks and I had the tyres swapped over for GatorSskin 28s for the Wiggle New Forrest Sportive tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how it fairs against tradditional road bikes on 23mm tyres with no disc brakes :)
    Great value gear and bikes, customer service is shocking. If they weren't cheap they would be out of business 100%.

They've been "Sorting it" for a long time now! Google reveals all...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    jordan_217 wrote:

My road bike is a 56cm Madone with either 10cm or 11cm stem, and the 57cm XLS is a perfect fit for me with 10cm stem. I liked it so much, I've just bought another one :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jordan_217
    TGOTB wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

My road bike is a 56cm Madone with either 10cm or 11cm stem, and the 57cm XLS is a perfect fit for me with 10cm stem. I liked it so much, I've just bought another one :-)

Thanks for that! Flanders in large is out of stock :(
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Thanks for that! Flanders in large is out of stock :(

Now 'lots in stock' :D
  • I have one with SRAM Force, I love it. I use it mainly on the road with conti gp4s but will be looking to buy a spare set of wheels so the standard ones can be used for cx and a new set for road duties.
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Really like the look of these, but not sure about the mud guards. I can't find anything close for the money/spec/weight with discs.

Assume the raceblade or crud catcher will be ok.

I'm not a fan but like to be out in all weathers and club stipulates you have them or ride at the back.

Also, took my crud catchers off earlier in the year and noticed it had left abrasive marks on the paint of the forks where they were fixed. Is this normal or do folk put some suitable tape down before hand?

(Cheap Raleigh so paint quality is basic)
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I can highly recommend the XLS. I've had it for a year now although only for road use, it's a lovely bike to ride... in fact only last week I made the effort to get my proper road bike out!
    In many ways when running 28mm tyres and a frame/wheelset tough enough to use offroad, it makes riding rough roads covered in grit and farm waste enjoyable with the added traction and toughness a cross bike gives.

Not sure why people complain about poor service as PX have been excellent for many purchases to date; and any issues they have always sorted then quickly. I guess a few people have had problems and the internet has done the rest.

They do however suffer from stock levels for a few of their frames.. they appear to order a run of frames and then wait for the stock to go down before placing another order.. I guess in an industry that is constantly changing, it's the safest practice that avoids then being stuck with old stock.

The only downside with the frame is the lack of eyelets for proper guards... but I guess it wasn't originally designed to be used as a commuter (although this is what most people seem to use cross bikes for). I haver Raceblades but haven't tried to fit them yet... but will do next winter. I'm sure with a selection of tie-wraps I'll make them fit somehow :-)

I have the raw carbon version... which isn't the prettiest and you can feel some of the carbon joins etc, but it had meant that I don't worry about the odd scratch etc and treat it very much as the work horse.
    Simon
  • Do you get any screatching/howling from the front brake? I've a little over 100miles on my Dirty Disco with the BB7's and a few fast downhill decents (nicely bedded the brakes in) & the front brake is louder than most car horns :( . The caliper/pads are properly fitted & aligned
  • tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    I can highly recommend the XLS. I've had it for a year now although only for road use, it's a lovely bike to ride... in fact only last week I made the effort to get my proper road bike out!
    In many ways when running 28mm tyres and a frame/wheelset tough enough to use offroad, it makes riding rough roads covered in grit and farm waste enjoyable with the added traction and toughness a cross bike gives.
    I ride mine in this configuration (28mm tyres on cross wheels), but I get speed wobble on rough descents at only about 32 mph, I'm not an experienced roadie so it scares the life out of me!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Assuming the wheels are true, have you checked the headset bearings are tightened correctly?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tehtehteh
    pretty sure it's all good
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Really loving mine(not Flanders and built up with a mix of bits) at the moment,still a few niggles to sort out but I think it's going to get a lot of use (and abuse).
    A quick pic;

14357993630_ce2a152608_c.jpg
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    tehtehteh wrote:
    I ride mine in this configuration (28mm tyres on cross wheels), but I get speed wobble on rough descents at only about 32 mph, I'm not an experienced roadie so it scares the life out of me!

I would check your wheels as it's very stable even on rough roads. I took it over to Cyprus last summer and the roads were pretty crappy and I was amazed how stable the bike was at speed.

e.g. http://www.strava.com/activities/77389471

So close on 46mph on a pretty rough and fairly potholed road.
    Simon
  • tehtehteh
    wheels are true and round, headset is good, I've taken it to 40mph on a less steep but smoother descent, I'm hoping it's just the bumps on this particular descent are just the wrong combination and are triggering it, but I'll have to ride a lot more to test out that theory
  • Just thought I would so a short update on Planet X ownership. The bike has done about 2500 miles and the majority of that was was commuting with the odd canal path thrown in.

I've changed a few things.

28mm Gatorskins - Used for commuting as the standard SpeedKing tyres weighed a lot and not great for punctures
    35mm Cyclocross tyres - Lighter and the speedkings and a more traddisional CX tread pattern, so much better for muddier conditions (Xmas present from Mrs Bakerstreet)
    Hylix 440mm Carbon Bars - Never liked the Planet X bars. They are too thin for my liking. Hylix bars were very cheap and only 185g. Look great too
    Hylix 90mm Stem - New bars meant the original stem was too long, so went for another import from the far east complete with titanium bolts :)
    Fizik Performance bar tape - Needed new tape following a crash on the L2B. Went for the nicer Fizik tape,as I have it on my road bike and its lovely stuff!
    Titanium Bottle cage bolts - Just for fun
    Titanium Disc bolts - Just For fun
    Titanium Skewers - For fun, but I managed to damage one of mine, so I thought I would risk £8 and see what happens.

Bike is now 414g lighter than when I bought it and this is with out new wheels. I'm planning on getting a new Hylix seat post as the CX one is looking in a bit of a state all ready. All the paint has rubbed off from where the saddle bag attaches. I know this kind of post is more suited for weight weenies, but I thought I'd post it here anyway :)

I want new wheels (Kinesis Crosslights of course), but I was made redundant at the end of september, so I can't justify new wheels, but buy cheap bits of titanium and the like from the far east has helped me keep my spirits up :)

I enjoy modifying bikes from their standard build. Long term changes also include the move to full Ultegra and XTR pedals and updating the bike weight loss spreadsheet. Ultimately, I hope to race it at the end of this year :)
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Here's mine, I've upgraded the wheels.

10500342_10155325192005019_9087734565714281253_n.jpg?oh=733288517f962807b6d32119e30a9735&oe=556781BF&__gda__=1432026602_7118d5b14f78b3a2117cd44057d0d40c

This week I'll stick a pair of TRP Hy Rd on there. 160 rotors. They are better than BB7's but, crucially, so much easier to install and keep "straight."

It's a fascinating bike. At the moment I have a Bivio for really crappy commuting weather and have been using this in the dry. Thing is, it's bloody lovely. Light but not weight weenie. Responsive, firm but comfy.

It makes me wonder why I have a best bike (a Ritchey).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Them wheels look lovely, I just wish they were on my bike ;-)
  • Here's mine, I've upgraded the wheels.

10500342_10155325192005019_9087734565714281253_n.jpg?oh=733288517f962807b6d32119e30a9735&oe=556781BF&__gda__=1432026602_7118d5b14f78b3a2117cd44057d0d40c

This week I'll stick a pair of TRP Hy Rd on there. 160 rotors. They are better than BB7's but, crucially, so much easier to install and keep "straight."

It's a fascinating bike. At the moment I have a Bivio for really crappy commuting weather and have been using this in the dry. Thing is, it's bloody lovely. Light but not weight weenie. Responsive, firm but comfy.

It makes me wonder why I have a best bike (a Ritchey).

Wheels looks good. Could you tell me a bit more about them? Just interested to know spec/weight/cost. I did google the rims, but came up with a few american sites.
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Rims are Pacenti SL25. Hubs are Novatec 771 and 772. Spokes (32) are Sapim D Light.

You could ask Ugo to build you some. A similar set are in stock here, but I don't know how good the hubs are
    http://www.justridingalong.com/jra-jawbone-disc.html
  • Just had a look at the link. They look nice, but not sure if they are good value for money. The Kinesis cross lights are cheaper and lighter, but I appreciate that weight isn't everything for CX wheels. However, I must confess that I'd like a set hand builts :)
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Ugo has a view on the Kinesis ones. Worth looking for. See here http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... s-any-good

Depends if you want a set to last thousands of miles or not. My hand built Archetypes are 2 1/2 years old now. Probably done 10k plus. Still as good as the day they were built. No reason to suggest these won't be either.

In terms of value, those on the link are a bit expensive. You should be able to get the rims for £150, hubs for £95. So then spokes and building. Dunno, £350 or so? Perhaps a bit less.