Brains fried with wheel set choice-help

baxboy
baxboy Posts: 19
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking at getting a new 26" wheelset for my 2012 whyte 901.
The original mavic xm119 have served me well up here in the lakes but are tired,a bit like me.
I want to go tubeless and weigh 190 pounds or 14st.
I ride whinnlater and xc stuff around the lakes.
I've got to the point where I'm totally boggled by the choice :shock:
I want to spend £200-300. Or maybe more.
Best bang for buck wheels?
15mm front qr rear.
Any recommendations?

Comments

• I would recommend Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs with Stans Flow EX rims, or for a bit cheaper, Mavic EN521 rims. The Mavic are a bit narrower, and not tubeless ready, but you can go ghetto tubeless.
    I have the Flow EX myself, riding the Peaks and trail centres. No complaints so far.
  • baxboy
    Thanks, that's what I've been looking at flow,crest and arch rims with hope hubs.
    So the flow are up to 14st abuse?
    Are winstanleys the best for price?.
    Really fancy pulling the trigger on a set this weekend.
    I fitted new xt brakes and discs and a new bb to the bike last weekend.
    This bikes a keeper. Cheers
  • baxboy
    Standard or straight pull?
    Thankyou
  • After much research when I bought my wheelset, I basically discovered there isn't a lot of different, but that J bend spokes were easier to replace, and there was more chance of a bike shop having them in stock.
    So unless you have any specific desire for straight pull, go for J bend.
  • Flows are up to full on downhill abuse, so I wouldn't worry at all, your not particularly heavy anyway. People might suggest Arch or Crest instead, but for the same price, and negligible weight difference, might aswell cover every situation with the Flow.
    Im not sure where is cheapest for them now, when I got mine, chain reactions were cheapest with a deal on.
    You can buy them as Hope Hoops pre made wheels, or check out Merlin Cycles, they build wheels to order, and when I last checked their prices were competitive.
  • baxboy
    Great, thanks allot for the help.
  • Got a set from evans. Made by hope. They're all you need and more. Most noticable upgrade by far. Note though that you may need to get some Stans rim tape .
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Flows are completely overkill unless you're going enduro racing. Arch or Crest would be more appropriate for your riding.
    There was a lad at the Tavi Woodlands DH race this weekend with Crests on his hardtail and that was a really gnarly track. His rims lasted longer than my collar bone. If they can survive big rocks and drops they will be fine for lakes xc.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Flows are completely overkill unless you're going enduro racing. Arch or Crest would be more appropriate for your riding.

+1, it's not a negligible weight difference either, Flow EXes are a heavy rim!
  • baxboy
    What are your thoughts on hope tech enduro?, I'm running 2.35 rampage sc tyres and not really bothered about a few hundred grammes weight difference. Just after a fit and forget wheelset(as much as possible).
    My old mavic xm119 rims are 19mm wide and guessing any new wheels will be an improvement!!.
    I like the looks of the enduro hoops.
    :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    baxboy wrote:
    What are your thoughts on hope tech enduro?, I'm running 2.35 rampage sc tyres and not really bothered about a few hundred grammes weight difference. Just after a fit and forget wheelset(as much as possible).
    My old mavic xm119 rims are 19mm wide and guessing any new wheels will be an improvement!!.
    I like the looks of the enduro hoops.
    :D

Im using Hope Tech Enduro wheels. They arent the lightest enduro wheel but Hope's quoted weight is spot on where some others arent quite true.
    They are absolutely bombproof wheels, as strong as my Mavic EX721 downhill wheels. I have give mine six months of hard riding and they are still good.
    Personally I would recommend them over Stans Arch ex due to Stans rims being a bit soft and easy to dent.
    For using on a trail hardtail and around Whinlatter they are a bit overkill though. I would suggest WTB i23 rims on Hope hubs as a lighter but still tough wheel.
  • baxboy
    Thanks rockmonkey, I like overkill!. Think I'm going to go for the enduro's.
    I can get them for 300 to the door.
    I've been holding off buying a AM fs bike for 2 years. I've ridden a few decent fs on trails and just prefer my hardtail.
    Yes the fs make everything easier but where's the fun in that?.
    I guess when my back starts falling to pieces I'll get one.
    Cheers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I used to race downhill on a hardtail but broke a lot of bones trying to be competative. It was fun but I cant take the injuries any more (separated shoulder at the moment). I used to enjoy having to really work for speed although those techniques count for nothing when you get a bouncy bike.
    A well ridden fs bike is definitely faster.
  • baxboy
    Agreed,No doubt fs are faster.
    I'm no way near a downhill rider never mind a racer.
    Hope your injury heals quickly.
    Cheers