Is this guy trolling?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Comment on a page selling SLX mountain bike shifters...

"I have bought a set from another company and have found them to be 10-speed on the left trigger and 3-speed on the right which is the opposite configuration to bikes in the UK. Can you confirm that your shifters are 10-speed on right and 3-speed on left, please?"

Chortle. :roll:

Sure you have.

That's pretty good trolling IMO. :)

"You can use these shifters with any 10 speed rear mech."
- STAFF

Is the staff trolling? :lol:

I thought a MTB 10-Speed shifter had to be used with a MTB 10-Speed rear mech? Using a road rear mech with a rear MTB shifter works then? Jesus honestly. So using a road shifter with a 10-Speed MTB rear mech doesn't work? I think I understand it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As MTB shifters, one assumes MTB mech. Or anyone with half a brain would and the rest don't matter anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Staff are not quite right as in MTB and road shimano 10 speed rears are not interchangeable.

But road shifters use the same pull as MTb 9speed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Manc33
    The original comment could be talking about any shifters.

Were there ever rear shifters on the left on anything, ever?

The bike frame would have to be altered to accommodate the shifters with some sort of fancy crossed over cabling somewhere.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nope but people have mounted them on the opposite side for reasons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Manc33
    The guy can't have seen a pair lol. He seems to be saying they are some non-UK version (but are all Japanese). I smell trolling.

The king of all trolling, Ken M lol http://runt-of-the-web.com/internet-troll
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    As an outside possibility, could the alleged troll have last looked at a shifter back in the days when the lever was on top of the bars, and have missed the important point that they're underneath now?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seems unlikely, but you never know!

A 10 speed road shifter is a cheap(er) way into 10 speed MTB as you can use a 9 speed rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Manc33
    The Rookie wrote:
    Seems unlikely, but you never know!

A 10 speed road shifter is a cheap(er) way into 10 speed MTB as you can use a 9 speed rear mech.

You mean like the SL-R770 flat bar shifters?

I was tempted by those since they came down quite a lot in price (from about £95 to £65) and was going to just get a used 10sp chain and cassette, but I can't do without my XTR shifters after having tried a lot of the lower down shifters. There's a big difference in accuracy between my M748 rear shifter and M951 rear shifter. Like riding a different bike.

The SL-R770 suggests Dura-Ace level, but is sold as an Ultegra level component. I guess Shimano never plan to make flat bar Dura-Ace shifters - that would be so crass, like that Arab guy that made a Ferrari into an estate car. :lol: