£1000 sportive bike shortlist

wilbo83
wilbo83 Posts: 90
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I know there are probably plenty of what £1k bike threads on here but using the search, I could not find anything recent and there are some appealing current deals out there, so....

Looking to spend up to a grand on a new bike for sportive use. I currently ride a Giant Defy 4. The bike will typically be used on evening rides of 20-30 miles and then weekend rides of 40-80 miles, with the occasional century too. I have spend quite a while researching and come up with the shortlist below. Which would you have and why? Would love to hear from current or previous owners of these too.

Planet X Pro Carbon, with 105 5700, FSA Team 30 wheels £799, or Ultegra £999
Planet X RT58 with Ultegra, FSA Team 30 wheels £999
Dolan L'Etape with 105 5800, Shimano RS10 wheels £999
Ribble Granfondo with 105 5800, Fulcrum Racing Sport wheels £1093

Shame the Pro Carbon doesnt come with 105 5800 as I would like 11 speed. They do the Pro Carbon with Rival 22 for 849 but I tried it out (on a different bike) and just don't think double tap shifters are for me and it was noticeably noisier when shifting than shimano.

Comments

• saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    I've just pressed the button for the Dolan with ultegra.

I wasn't keen on the PX bikes, just didn't quite do it for me. The rear brake cable dangling under the top tube on the Ribble just seemed to drag my eye to it every time. Might not be an issue, but I thought it looked less finished.

At the end of the day, people with a lot more experience than I have, rate all of those bikes so I guess you can't lose whichever you go for.

Have you considered a Canyon?
  • wilbo83
    saftlad wrote:
    I've just pressed the button for the Dolan with ultegra.

I wasn't keen on the PX bikes, just didn't quite do it for me. The rear brake cable dangling under the top tube on the Ribble just seemed to drag my eye to it every time. Might not be an issue, but I thought it looked less finished.

At the end of the day, people with a lot more experience than I have, rate all of those bikes so I guess you can't lose whichever you go for.

Have you considered a Canyon?
    I know what you mean about the cables on the pro carbon. It is one thing that frustrates me with my defy as I can't put it in the workstand using the toptube as it pulls the rear brake, need to clamp it using the seatpost.

I have considered the Canyons (they are on the spreadsheet :D next to the above, along with Rose bikes too) however the carbon has a bit more of a premium. I also think the seatstays look really skinny.
  • wilbo83
    Any other thoughts? I actually think I have gone full circle on the SRAM groupset and now think it could suit me quite well, particularly as I have small hands so the smaller hoods and ability to change reach could be a good benefit.
  • I bought a planetX in the 105 spec you mentioned, I had a £1000 budget, but decided to get the 105 spec, then in a few weeks hopefully get some fulcrum Quattro or shimano Ultegra wheels.

I had the pro carbon last year on sram and didn't get on with it, so back to shimano
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    wilbo83 wrote:
    It is one thing that frustrates me with my defy as I can't put it in the workstand using the toptube as it pulls the rear brake, need to clamp it using the seatpost.

Not sure you ever really want to clamp your top tube in a work stand, especially if carbon? Always better to clamp the seat tube, much cheaper to replace than a frame if you over-tighten the clamp. :shock:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    wilbo83 wrote:
    It is one thing that frustrates me with my defy as I can't put it in the workstand using the toptube as it pulls the rear brake, need to clamp it using the seat post.

I have a Aluxx Defy and rest the bike in my workstand using the top tube. I wrap a length of 5mm thick rubber round the top tube to stop marking/slipping and just lightly clamp it, can still operate the rear brake for servicing.
    I suppose it depends on the design of your workstand's clamp. I can't use my seat tube as it is carbon fibre.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    The Boardman Team Carbon with Apex is currently £849.99 bargs
  • A couple of 'Cube's' could fit the bill.

Cube Peloton Race 2015- full 105 5800 groupset, Fulcrum Racing 77 wheelset at £899.
    Cube Peloton SL 2015 - as above but with Ultegra front and rear derailleurs and Mavik Aksium wheelset at £999.

Currently at Rutland cycles you get 10% 'cashback' to spend in their store upon purchase of 2015 bikes. Both have nice internal cabling for the three entry points and have the wide ranging 11-32 cassette so you should be able to get up any hill!

Though if you are a medium then this Defy 0 2014 looks brilliant value at £799 from £1199
  • wilbo83
    Pnev wrote:
    Do you have a link? The Boardman Team Carbon that I see on halfords is £999 and has a mix of Tiagra and Tektro.

In response to the Cubes, should have mentioned that I have a preference for carbon.
  • Get yourself on the Pauls Cycles website, if you're not too bothered about this year's model there are some bargain Cannondales and Giants for about £1k.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Or buy second hand, and don't worry about 11 speed either if it isn't, there is naff all difference. Find something like new hardly used (loads around nowadays) and you should get something far superior for your £1,000.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I ride a 2012 carbon framed Vitus (the Chain Reaction brand) and love it to bits. Mines had a lot of upgrades over the last couple of years but it was a low model to begin with and that was always the plan, the higher spec models are good value for money and great to ride. Tend to be ignored by reviewers as they're an in-house brand.

Full 105 5800 (apart from the chain)..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod120697

Only down side is that this years models aren't the best looking. Hope that helps in some way!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    depends on what you want out of it. Last year I had a PX carbon pro, which sat inside on any sportive as I always took the 1978 Raleigh Ti. Much more fun to ride.

So, in other words, pick the one that you like the best and don't let 'which is the best' cripple you. My race bike is WAY 'better' than my raleigh, but I know which one I prefer to ride on a sunny day with my mates.
    Insert bike here:
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    The PlanetX RT-58 Ultegra is specced really well for £1k. As is the Ribble Sportive Racing for slightly less

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58UL ... -road-bike
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERW
  • wilbo83
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Ribble have just thrown this into the mix; GranFondo with ultegra for £999.

The fact that I keep comparing all of them to the PX bikes and preferring those probably shows my decision is made, just got to decide between the RT58, Pro Carbon...or the Ribble. Sure they will all be great though.
  • passout
    wilbo83 wrote:
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Ribble have just thrown this into the mix; GranFondo with ultegra for £999.

The fact that I keep comparing all of them to the PX bikes and preferring those probably shows my decision is made, just got to decide between the RT58, Pro Carbon...or the Ribble. Sure they will all be great though.

Of those 3 I might go for the Ribble with upgraded wheels but I'd probably end up with the RT58.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I believe the GrandFondo is the older and heavier of the Ribble frames when compared to the Sportive Racing I linked earlier.
  • I've been having exactly the same dilema for the past month, so I took myself up to Sheffield and Preston on Saturday to have a look at the bikes and chat to the people in store.

Before the journey, I was torn between Ribble New Sportive 105 or Planet X RT58 Ultegra (edging towards PX). I looked at Planet X first and was impressed, all set to order the RT58. Then I went to Ribble and the Gran Frodo was thrown in the mix!

Long story short - today I ordered the Ribble Sportive Racing 105.

It looks the best, is the most modern, it's cheaper and the geometry suited me best. As someone said 5800 105 is very similar to Ultegra 6800, and PX has FSA brake/crank. I will upgrade the wheels and put on a 105 crank eventually.

Took me ages to decide but my advice is get the one you'll be happiest riding. They are all really nice bikes in the flesh.
  • I've been having exactly the same dilema for the past month, so I took myself up to Sheffield and Preston on Saturday to have a look at the bikes and chat to the people in store.

Before the journey, I was torn between Ribble New Sportive 105 or Planet X RT58 Ultegra (edging towards PX). I looked at Planet X first and was impressed, all set to order the RT58. Then I went to Ribble and the Gran Frodo was thrown in the mix!

It looks the best, is the most modern, it's cheaper and the geometry suited me best. As someone said 5800 105 is very similar to Ultegra 6800, and PX has FSA brake/crank. I will upgrade the wheels and put on a 105 crank eventually.

Took me ages to decide but my advice is get the one you'll be happiest riding. They are all really nice bikes in the flesh.
    I placed an order yesterday for a Pro Carbon with Rival 22. Took me weeks to actually decide too and plenty of research and deliberating. I just kept comparing everything to the Pro Carbon and staring at images of it, which told me that should be my choice! Really excited, got an email today to say it will be built on Thursday :D

Look forward to seeing some pics of your Ribble. I think Ribble and Planet X make some of the best value bikes at the moment and have some great looking bikes, they certainly don't make it easy at this price point! I was hoping they would both be at the London bike show but they both informed me they wouldn't be, guess they don't get involved in things like that to keep costs down.
  • passout
    Both good options I reckon - had planet x & one one bike in the past. Agree about value. Also had a a great experience when I visited Ribble - in fairness never actually visited on one / planet x but got a cracking deal nonetheless.
  • rgh450
    rgh450 Posts: 15
    I've been having exactly the same dilema for the past month, so I took myself up to Sheffield and Preston on Saturday to have a look at the bikes and chat to the people in store.

I am also thinking of getting the Ribble Sportive 105 model, can you please post some photos and let us know your thoughts when it arrives? Our cycle to work scheme has just opened at work, so I have 4 weeks to decide on a bike.......?????
  • wilbo83 wrote:
    Pnev wrote:
    Do you have a link? The Boardman Team Carbon that I see on halfords is £999 and has a mix of Tiagra and Tektro.

In response to the Cubes, should have mentioned that I have a preference for carbon.

Sorry no link but I'll pitch in with another vote for the Boardman. Had mine for just about 12 months now and have done a couple of thousand miles, my first proper road bike since the teenage years. (And I'm now 48 :shock: ).

Coming from an alu Boardman hybrid I was worried about riding position, whether a carbon bike would actually make a difference, being an entry level carbon ride-to-work-special what are the components like....all sorts of things.

All I can say is that for me, it's been a brilliant bike. I love it. I never intended to do more than 500/1000 miles in a year but the bike just egged me on. I can actually do hills! Who would have thought?

It's wearing well too. Apart from inevitable wear related scratches, everything is looking in very good order indeed although when I renew the chain/cassette/rings I might also upgrade the shifters. But the bike itself, is a keeper!