Giant Defy 0 Upgrades

FatCycleRider
FatCycleRider Posts: 58
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm about to get a Defy 0 which comes with Ultegra 11 speed but not the full groupset.

The parts on the bike that are not Ultegra are;

* Front derailleur (Shimano 105)
* Chainset (Shimano RS500)
* Brake calipers (Shimano R561)
* Cassette (Shimano 105)

I'm not sure whether or not I should do the following;

1. Upgrade the above components for Ultegra 6800 (except the cassette until it wears out) for c£220 and sell the unused bits taken off the bike.
2. Buy a 105 11 speed groupset for c£325 and sell all the components on the bike.
3. Do nothing.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have a Defy 0 2013 and did what you are considering. Swopped the FC-R565 chainset for a Ultegra FC-6750 chainset because I wanted shorter cranks, saved some weight also.

Swopped the BR-561 non-series brakes for Ultegra 6700 calipers and swisstop blue BXP pads as I felt the BR-561's were ok in the dry but not so much in the wet. Did not bother swopping the FD-5700 105 front derailleur as it was function correctly and did not see the point, though will upgrade to the Ultegra FD-6700 when the 105 is worn/developes excessive play.

Did not swop the Tiagra CS-4600 cassette for the Ultegra CS-6700, as the Tiagra works fine.

Don't see the point of buying a 5800 groupset and swopping all that out with what's already on the bike. If the mix bothers you, just buy the 6800 chainset and brakes and change the FD and Cassette when worn. Sell the unused parts you take off the bike.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Upgrade the tyres to a higher tpi. Maybe get 6800 calipers and chainset. Everything else you are splitting hairs.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. Very useful.

As for the chainset, the bike comes with a 50/34 and is mated with a very low ratio 11-32.

I current have a compact 50/34 on one of my bikes and a 50/39/30 on the other both with a 12-25 on the rear. The 50/34 always feels too much of a jump whereas 50 down to 39 is great but 25 on the rear is sometimes not low enough.

Do I go for the 53/39 Ultegra, the 52/36 or the 50/34. I'm thinking with the 11-32 on the rear, the 53/39 would be fine but seeing the newer 52/36 I'm tempted by that.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Try the pro compact 52/36T with the 11-32T cassette, that will give a low gear of 30.4"
  • I think you've convinced me :-)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    3. Do nothing.

As you haven't given us any compelling reasons to do the contrary - just do this ^^
  • Imposter wrote:
    3. Do nothing.

As you haven't given us any compelling reasons to do the contrary - just do this ^^

I don't like the mis-matched components so would like to try and get it as complete as I can but don't want to waste money unnecessarily. If the components were too expensive I would have waited for them to wear out and replace them then (although that may take many years).
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    3. Do nothing.

I don't like the mis-matched components so would like to try and get it as complete as I can but don't want to waste money unnecessarily. If the components were too expensive I would have waited for them to wear out and replace them then (although that may take many years).

Sorry, but you are contradicting yourself. Matching up the components would effectively be wasting money unnecessarily. But if you are determined to do it, then carry on.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    3. Do nothing.

Sorry, but you are contradicting yourself. Matching up the components would effectively be wasting money unnecessarily. But if you are determined to do it, then carry on.

I know. Maybe I'm just trying to find an excuse by asking fellow cyclists.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    IMO the best upgrades are brake blocks, tyres & maybe the saddle generally speaking. Sometimes wheels if the ones supplied are naff. I think the spec on your bike is good & you won't notice the upgrades mentioned apart from a change to the gearing - but is it necessary? I think the components 'do' match in the sense that they will all work perfectly well together. In short option 3.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Any suggestions on brake block upgrades then? I've used Aztecs which were OK and Koolstop Dura 2 which were good.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015
    i favour the red Kool Stop Salmon's . They have a soft compound and are nice to your rims. The braking performance is great.

2nd vote is Dura Ace pads.

3rd. Swisstop Green's.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    trailflow wrote:
    i favour the red Kool Stop Salmon's . They are have a soft compound and are nice to your rims. The braking performance is great.

2nd vote is Dura Ace pads.

3rd. Swisstop Green's.

Kool Stop Salmon pad (with Dura Ace style holders) for me followed by swisstop greens.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I received some BBB BBS-26HP pads today to place in my BBB holders. They're compatible with Shimano & SRAM. Not used them yet, but might be worth a shout.
  • imposter2.0
    holiver wrote:
    I received some BBB BBS-26HP pads today to place in my BBB holders. They're compatible with Shimano & SRAM. Not used them yet, but might be worth a shout.

Maybe I mis-read this - but it sounds like you are recommending a product that you haven't actually tried yet..?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Hey this is a forum. You don't require any experience of the subject to be an expert :)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Imposter wrote:
    Maybe I mis-read this - but it sounds like you are recommending a product that you haven't actually tried yet..?
    Yes it appears I missed some important information!

I have been using the older blue BBB pads with no issue for the past couple of years.
  • I've been thinking since I posed my original question.

I have two road bike currently. One is my training bike and the other my 'race' bike.

The Defy 0 will be replacing the training bike but has a better groupset than my race bike.

I'm now thinking I should swap the groupsets over and put the Ultegra 11 on the race bike and put the 105 10 speed on the Defy. The only faff is that my Easton Aero wheels are not 11 speed compatible so I'd need to get an 11 speed freehub.

Your thoughts?
  • The alternative option for chainrings is to go for a smaller big ring. You could go as low as 46t if you wanted to.