Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Cheers, go for it! ;) (convince the wife that you'll definitely die without disc brakes - may depend on how much your wife wants you alive or dead of course ;) )
    That worked for me. After I got doored she was a bit worried about me getting back on a bike so I grabbed the opportunity and went for it. I didn't mention the fact that when I had the accident I had no chance to brake as that wouldn't have helped my cause.

My wife didn't believe me. She just thought I wanted a new toy...which for once wasn't the reason (boy who cried wolf and all that :) )
    Fair enough, having an accident and being hospitalised to lend credence to your tale would have been taking things a bit far.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Are they the Portland Design Works City fenders or the Road ones?
  • leodis75
    Double post..
  • leodis75 wrote:

The city (wide) ones, I knew I'd wanna fit wider tyres at some point and I did. Very happy with them!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    edited January 2015
    Double post...
  • Treble post...weird forum timeout etc issues!!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    How do those pedals compare to normal SPDs? I'm thinking of getting a pair for a long bike tour this summer. I'll need a decent size SPD platform as I need relatively flexible soled shoes for when off the bike.

Sorry, meant to reply to this the other day.

They are meant to be easier to get out of compared to normal spd's (I've only ever used m520's btw) and as such they also come with special cleats that click out when pulling up at an angle or something.

I use these cleats because I didnt wanna pay for the normal ones you can also use...and I have the pedals dialed up to the max setting so I dont unclip accidently - and they are perfectly fine. I'm sure they'd be little difference if you use normal cleats, I'll switch to those once mine wear out.

So probably they are just normal SPDs with a platform surround and supplied with the multi way release cleats than the standard ones? If so, that'll do me. Thanks for the info.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • leodis75
    leodis75 wrote:

The city (wide) ones, I knew I'd wanna fit wider tyres at some point and I did. Very happy with them!

Thanks
  • leodis75
    I am about to pull the trigger on this bike but I thought I best check if they are willing to swap out the tyres for Conti 4seasons or GP4000S in 28x700 and got this reply...
    thank you very much for your enquiry.
    We are sorry, but this tyres are not possible to use on this rims.
    These are too narrow.

So I have questioned him with this:-
    thought the rims could take a 28x700 tyre, I read a review from someone who bought this bike and had Schwalbe One tyres fitted when ordered in 28x700 see link & the canyon inflite al 9.0s uses the same wheelset with 28mm tyres. Please can you check this as the tyres available on the options are far to heavy.

We wait and see. No point for me with this bike unless I can get a 28mm tyre on it, its main purpose is winter/poor weather riding on road.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    leodis75 wrote:
    thought the rims could take a 28x700 tyre, I read a review from someone who bought this bike and had Schwalbe One tyres fitted when ordered in 28x700 see link & the canyon inflite al 9.0s uses the same wheelset with 28mm tyres. Please can you check this as the tyres available on the options are far to heavy.
    Yeah, the Inflite 9.0S does indeed come with GP4000S in 28c and they're fine (having ridden with them when they arrived). The wheelset is slightly different - R23 on the Canyon rather than R24, but I think the only difference is a little less weight on the R23.

Also, the 8.0S has 28's on the R24s
    http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3619
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • leodis75
    I am upgrading the wheels to the DT Swiss R23 Spline's so there is no reason for them to say it. I also emailed previously 3 days ago and not got a reply, not so sure about Rose now.
  • leodis75 wrote:
    I am about to pull the trigger on this bike but I thought I best check if they are willing to swap out the tyres for Conti 4seasons or GP4000S in 28x700 and got this reply...
    thank you very much for your enquiry.
    We are sorry, but this tyres are not possible to use on this rims.
    These are too narrow.

So I have questioned him with this:-

We wait and see. No point for me with this bike unless I can get a 28mm tyre on it, its main purpose is winter/poor weather riding on road.

It's definately not true - not only did it come fitted with 28mm ones (which i took off straight away) I put on 28mm 4 seasons as a replacement - they were fine. Must be a mix up somewhere, they've been very good on email to me
  • leodis75
    CookeeeMonster,
    Did you confirm the change in tyres before hand or just in the additional info field on the order page? I emailed said guy but no answer yet so I emailed the helpdesk, if no answer tomorrow will give them a call.
  • leodis75 wrote:
    CookeeeMonster,
    Did you confirm the change in tyres before hand or just in the additional info field on the order page? I emailed said guy but no answer yet so I emailed the helpdesk, if no answer tomorrow will give them a call.

Additional info field I think, though I asked them beforehand too...
  • leodis75
    leodis75 wrote:
    CookeeeMonster,

Additional info field I think, though I asked them beforehand too...

Thanks, still no reply to any emails I have sent this week. I will give them a call before I order the bike to check, just want Conti 4 seasons in 28 fitting which are cheaper than the standard ones it comes with as it saves me £70 buying a new set of tyres, that said the CX ones might come in useful for a bit of CX if I wanted.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    You should be ok. The rim inner width of the wheel is 18mm and according to Sheldon Brown you should be good wih a tyre size down to 28mm. Info towards the end of this page.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  • leodis75
    azzurri78 wrote:
    You should be ok. The rim inner width of the wheel is 18mm and according to Sheldon Brown you should be good wih a tyre size down to 28mm. Info towards the end of this page.

Thanks a lot. Worse case I have a spare set of tyres and have to cough up for some 4 seasons.
  • leodis75 wrote:
    azzurri78 wrote:

Thanks a lot. Worse case I have a spare set of tyres and have to cough up for some 4 seasons.

Do they have any 4 seasons in stock? They didn't when I ordered so stuck with the ones that I'll chuck on eBay at some point
  • leodis75
    leodis75 wrote:
    azzurri78 wrote:

Do they have any 4 seasons in stock? They didn't when I ordered so stuck with the ones that I'll chuck on eBay at some point

Yeah they have 28mm 4Seasons & GP4000S in stock, not sure between the two as the bike will be a winter/wet weather bike as I have a Ribble R872 for the summer.
  • dhope
    leodis75 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    azzurri78 wrote:

Yeah they have 28mm 4Seasons & GP4000S in stock, not sure between the two as the bike will be a winter/wet weather bike as I have a Ribble R872 for the summer.

I think you'll probably find little difference between them. Or at least the difference in your experience would probably be down to random road conditions and luck. Unlike a race tyre vs a marathon plus.

Though the GP4S is described by Conti as "Styled on the GP4000 S II, but with extra protection layers for harsh weather conditions"
    Which sounds like continental think you should go for the 4 Seasons
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    azzurri78 wrote:

100% go for 4 seasons for winter weather out of the 2

I think you'll probably find little difference between them. Or at least the difference in your experience would probably be down to random road conditions and luck. Unlike a race tyre vs a marathon plus.

Though the GP4S is described by Conti as "Styled on the GP4000 S II, but with extra protection layers for harsh weather conditions"
    Which sounds like continental think you should go for the 4 Seasons
  • leodis75
    Thanks guys, should be ordering in the next day or two and then hopefully get an expected del week.
  • Hi CM, just bring this topic back up to ask another question, specifically avout the mudguards and their fitting.

It looks like the bike has a chainstay bridge although its difficult to know for sure. Can the PDW mudguards fit to this and if so how. Is it with a bolt or zipties?

Cheers
  • azzurri78 wrote:
    Hi CM, just bring this topic back up to ask another question, specifically avout the mudguards and their fitting.

It looks like the bike has a chainstay bridge although its difficult to know for sure. Can the PDW mudguards fit to this and if so how. Is it with a bolt or zipties?

Cheers

It fits to the bridge with a bolt no problems. The top bracket on the rear guard will need to be bent though as the hole on the seat stay bridge (if that's what it's called) is underneath as opposed to on the front of the bridge. They may even supply a different bracket if you email them but I didn't bother
  • Cheers CM. Only decision left to make is white or anodized black! Rose have said they hope to bring one to the London Bike show. Then I will make my choice. Finally!
  • Hey azzurri. I had a Rose Dx 2000 delivered 2 weeks ago in anodised black. Only difference to the 3000 is 105 rather than Ultegra and mech discs. All in, a grand, delivered. Superb frame, specced a 52/36 Chainset and R24 spline instead of Mavic Crossone wheels.

Can't fault the service and I'm well pleased so far. The black looks excellent with a GT85 finish.

Swapped out the knobblys for 28mm Vred Sensos.

It flies, happy days. I doubt you'll be disappointed!
  • leodis75
    So I ordered on Wednesday and received my order confirmation today, disappointed is an understatement. The site advertised 4 week availability the order form said "Estimated assembly date 15.04.2015" WTF.. 10 weeks before they start work on it, I called them up and said its a winter, bad weather bike and by the time I will receive it its going to be nearly Summer (I might as well hold out for the Kinesis 4S Disc was going through my mind). Anyway 30 minutes later I get another order form arrive this one says "Estimated assembly date 12.03.2015" so not too bad but the online account still states the first estimate.

I am not sure why they advertise the bikes as available in a said time when they obviously cannot deliver it. :(
  • dhope
    leodis75 wrote:
    I am not sure why they advertise the bikes as available in a said time when they obviously cannot deliver it. :(
    They're in competition with Canyon for least accurate delivery estimates. Canyon still way ahead of them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    dhope wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    They're in competition with Canyon for least accurate delivery estimates. Canyon still way ahead of them.
    Almost exactly what I was thinking.