Zuus Wheels

tomengel
tomengel Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Has anyone tried any Zuus wheels. They are relatively cheap carbon wheels at around 300-400£ but didn't want to trust them without doing some research.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Spotted a set of these somewhere else but haven't the foggiest where. First thing that stands out is their logo is remarkably like ZIPP's and second they are a full carbon rim. I'd be expecting basalt or something along the lines of chinese stuff.

The next comparable wheelset is Planet X? So why are Zuus so much cheaper :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    There is a gap in the market for full carbon clinchers which are safe to ride and come with a budget price tag... is Zuus the answer? The jury is out... :roll:

If Chinese wheels cost 3-400, I doubt someone based over here can do better for the same price... the attempt to copy Zipp logo and take advantage of their popularity is obviously pathetic
    left the forum March 2023
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    There is a gap in the market for full carbon clinchers which are safe to ride and come with a budget price tag... is Zuus the answer? The jury is out... :roll:

If Chinese wheels cost 3-400, I doubt someone based over here can do better for the same price... the attempt to copy Zipp logo and take advantage of their popularity is obviously pathetic

Bit harsh, 2 year warranty and you only have to send back to Cumbria should things go wrong.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Flasher wrote:
    Bit harsh, 2 year warranty and you only have to send back to Cumbria should things go wrong.

What is harsh? Because I said that the attempt to take advantage of Zipp logo is pathetic? It is, is it not? :shock:
  • Has anyone got any update/experience with these?
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I emailed them about the wheels last week. I got a very prompt and courteous response to my questions. A club member has also bought a set but I haven't spoken to him about them. I think he has only used them once due to time of year etc.

They look decent enough and are well priced. They are very competitive with the landed price of a set from Farsports and you get a UK warranty. They are apparently "u" shaped. The only difference between the s and Z versions is the finish. Matt UD vs shiny 3k. For some reason the UD is 80g heavier. I might give them a go but not just yet as its not really 50mm carbon clincher weather.
  • stepdavi
    stepdavi Posts: 135
    I'm gonna get some either 50 or 60 mm in March, although they seem to quite often do 15% off offer codes so worth holding out for that.
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The blatent, silly copy of the Zipp logo automatically rules them out for me, even if they were the best wheels in the world. Although I guess you could peel them off.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I did a google image search from one of there rim diagram pictures. It came back with Xiamen Ekay Composites Technology Co.Ltd. Not conclusive as to who makes the rims. They may have just nicked the picture. But if it is. They dont look like anything special. Just run of the mill chinese wheels.

http://www.xmekay.com/en/
    http://xmekay.en.alibaba.com/
  • Yes, the logo isn't great and I was after gloss wheels so can only have the white version (the matte with the black logo is a bit less in your face).

What are the 271/372 hubs like? They're not the superlight version the most people seem to ship with although doesn't that generally mean bigger axles and bearings so not actually a bad thing. What's this about "matched spokes" though, is that a problem?

Also generic own brand spokes so bit of an unknown quantity.

At that price (roughly the same as the odd deal at Superstar or from Farsports) though you can't really be fussy.

It's these or keep the much more sensible Pacenti SL23's I bought...

• What are the 271/372 hubs like?

They are the paired-holes version on the 171/172. I did build a pair 3 years ago... they are OK. Exactly the same internals as the 171/172 (also branded Ambrosio). type A free hub, 12 mm axle... reasonable quality bearings, you need to know more? Just ask...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

Most likely they are Pillar.
  • DKay
    trailflow wrote:
    They dont look like anything special. Just run of the mill chinese wheels.

One of the ever increasing number of pop-up companies importing open-mould Chinese carbon goods and then flogging them on with a mark-up. Not as bad as Starley though, who mark-up the prices of their frames from 250% upwards.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    DKay wrote:
    trailflow wrote:
    They dont look like anything special. Just run of the mill chinese wheels.

One of the ever increasing number of pop-up companies importing open-mould Chinese carbon goods and then flogging them on with a mark-up. Not as bad as Starley though, who mark-up the prices of their frames from 250% upwards.

….and have SHI7E build quality.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:

….and have SHI7E build quality.

Tell us more, which ones have you got? Why were they bad?
  • trailflow wrote:

You might be right, zooming on the rear hub I seem to have spotted the P of Pillar...
  • trailflow wrote:

You might be right, zooming on the rear hub I seem to have spotted the P of Pillar...

Sorry, basic question, is that an issue? How do they compare to say CX-Rays?
  • trailflow wrote:

Sorry, basic question, is that an issue? How do they compare to say CX-Rays?

It's hard to say. Pillar make a lot of spokes and I have only seen a couple of their models. There was a problem with some bladed ones, that are nowhere near as durable as the CX Rays, but whether that applies to the all range I don't know. They are not bad spokes, but they are not as good as Sapim or DT. That said, even DT makes some bad spokes, the Supercomp are pretty crap and best avoided.
  • I have a pair of Zuus 80mm deep clinchers and the pair of them weigh 200 grams more than a pair of Zipp wheels. So I counterbalance this by cutting my toenails regularly :roll: Anyway, I put them in and the acceleration sensation was very evident as soon as I got to + 18mph. Also, the forward momentum they gave me going up 2 to 3% undulations was really impressive. So I'm a fan
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm fascinated by this post. They give you momentum? Please explain how.

Is that the 200g of extra rotating mass?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    :lol:

Forward momentum?

These wheels defy the laws of physics then.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Calpol
    I have a pair of Zuus 80mm deep clinchers and the pair of them weigh 200 grams more than a pair of Zipp wheels. So I counterbalance this by cutting my toenails regularly :roll: Anyway, I put them in and the acceleration sensation was very evident as soon as I got to + 18mph. Also, the forward momentum they gave me going up 2 to 3% undulations was really impressive. So I'm a fan

Ignore the pedants on here picking holes in your appraisal. Personally I find real world opinion's valuable. I am glad you are enjoying your new wheels and if they make you feel faster then that's a good thing.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Calpol wrote:
    I have a pair of Zuus 80mm deep clinchers and the pair of them weigh 200 grams more than a pair of Zipp wheels. So I counterbalance this by cutting my toenails regularly :roll: Anyway, I put them in and the acceleration sensation was very evident as soon as I got to + 18mph. Also, the forward momentum they gave me going up 2 to 3% undulations was really impressive. So I'm a fan

Ignore the pedants on here picking holes in your appraisal. Personally I find real world opinion's valuable. I am glad you are enjoying your new wheels and if they make you feel faster then that's a good thing.

Pedants? He said they give him momentum, I would like to know how. I let him off the "acceleration sensation was very evident as soon as I got to 18mph....". How does that work then? Do "normal" wheels have such poor aerodynamics that they "hit the brick wall" at 18mph? Do the Zuus wheels have some sort of F1-style Kers system that when you hit 18mph they provide extra energy into the cranks to help the bike accelerate?

Real world opinions may be valuable, but they must also be open to interrogation, particularly if it's from a "one post poster" who's turned up with miracle claims for the product that is under discussion. There are, after all, real world opinions and flights of complete fantasy. I suspect I know which these were!

The most relevant thing in your reply is your "if they make you feel faster"!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Calpol
    Calpol wrote:

Pedants? He said they give him momentum, I would like to know how. I let him off the "acceleration sensation was very evident as soon as I got to 18mph....". How does that work then? Do "normal" wheels have such poor aerodynamics that they "hit the brick wall" at 18mph? Do the Zuus wheels have some sort of F1-style Kers system that when you hit 18mph they provide extra energy into the cranks to help the bike accelerate?

Real world opinions may be valuable, but they must also be open to interrogation, particularly if it's from a "one post poster" who's turned up with miracle claims for the product that is under discussion. There are, after all, real world opinions and flights of complete fantasy. I suspect I know which these were!

The most relevant thing in your reply is your "if they make you feel faster"!!

Not everyone who rides a bike has knowledge of Newton's laws and their application or the correct terminology. Your post and Matt's were unhelpful and unfriendly. It may have been a shill post but I tend to take things at face value. If every first time poster got belittled the forum wouldn't be particularly dynamic. No-one is asking you to agree but just be a little more considered in your response.
  • DKay
    To be fair, if you're going to do your first post, perhaps you should be more considered in what you type.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610

PLANT. Isn't that right Justin? You'd notice much more difference if you bothered to shave your legs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sounds like someone from my good old Piedmont...

Piciuplandrun is Piedmontese dialect for "lazy imbecile"... :wink:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Indeed, he's trademarked with the intention of starting a clothing brand.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DKay
    Hahahaha, is the name of the brand going to be 'Castilli' or 'Ropha'?
  • Haha very funny. Okay, I'll tell you how it is then I will give you my opinion. I bought my Scott TT without wheels so I put the Spinergy 54 Clinchers from my Orbea in it and took it on some familiar routes. The Scott felt great. I bought the Zuus 80's for the Scott and took it on the same routes. The Scott freewheeled down the descents a lot faster than it did when it had the Spinergys in it. And, it was easier to ascend up the hills (not climbs) as well. Furthermore, I have a TACX multiplayer that allows me to ride GPS routes that I have previously ridden on the roads. The time differential between riding on one or the other was always marginal until I started riding on the roads with the Zuus wheels in. Now, a 90 min. ride on the roads takes me 97 mins. on the TACX multiplayer GPS. So, that's how it is. Now my opinion. Don't buy 3 year old carbon wheels at £1000 because you can't afford new ones at £2500 or £3500 a pair. They will be f****d. Buy new carbon wheels at £600 a pair and throw them away after 3 years before they collapse on you while your riding along at 35mph and you end up in a heap with a load of broken bones. Carbon structure albeit tortionally rigid can not withstand constant pothole hammering, and that goes for any make of carbon wheel. It's 10pm so off to bed now as I'm on the Turbo at 5:30 tomoz morning training for 90 mins. Night night. x