problem with wifes rear wheel...

James Q
James Q Posts: 201
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Right this one has stumped me...earlier on when she was riding along she went in to a lower gear and the chain, cassette and pedals were just spinning but not going anywhere. Changed up a couple of sprockets and was ok. now she fell off it last week and bike landed on drive side, could it be because of the crash? Wheel isn't buckled but there is a bit of play on the piece the cassette slides on. I have taken the cassette of and put it back on after a clean and re grease just in case it wasn't on tight eniugh. Any other ideas, possibilities?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Freehub gone. Or freewheel gone. Different chain position allowing it not to slip.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Ok thanks. ...better get her a new rear wheel then..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could be the bearings have gone in the freehub allowing it to move so the freewheel part isn't engaging, new bearings may sort that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    If it's just the freehub gone have you looked into replacing it instead of the cost of the whole wheel?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    James Q wrote:
    Ok thanks. ...better get her a new rear wheel then..
    Why it all depends what it is and what has gone.

Find out what it is and get I sorted. Buying a new wheel might not even fix it. As there might not be anything wrong with the wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Maybe the pawls were overlubed and in the cold weather they did not re engage?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It is not uncommon for freehubs to seize up temporarily in freezing weather - as they get water in them and the oil in there is quite thin anway.