Ride London 2015

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    As I didn't chose to donate, I wondered if the £58 balance was now due, hence the invoice is available to view.

But I'm probably reading too much into it.

EDIT: I did just call them. Apparently they cannot change my address as the Ballot is "In Progress" so I have to wait till after the 12th Feb to call back to change my address, at which point they can tell me over the phone if I'm in or not. They said they are only posting results this year, no email notification that I seem to remember from last year or before

As the Ballot is "In Progress" it might explain why some people are seeing things others are not
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • "Ballot in progress" these people people are in the stoneage
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you did not donate then I think the mention of £58 may indicate that you are in.

Maybe someone else who did not donate and unfortunately did not get in can confirm if there is any mention of £58 on their application screen.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    Carbonator wrote:
    If you did not donate then I think the mention of £58 may indicate that you are in.

Maybe someone else who did not donate and unfortunately did not get in can confirm if there is any mention of £58 on their application screen.

Mines cancelled and no mention of a fee.

I know I have no 'case' but I feel miffed. Slogged round in the rain last year on a shortened route, and they don't repay my loyalty. :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Blank screen for me :(
  • Anonymous
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Mines cancelled and no mention of a fee.

I know I have no 'case' but I feel miffed. Slogged round in the rain last year on a shortened route, and they don't repay my loyalty. :lol:

Thanks CC, my guess is that IC is in then.

The only two reasons I can see the £58 being on there is if you donated and had already paid it, or if you got an 'accepted' and its awaiting payment.
  • ic.
    Trying not to count my chickens :?

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Anonymous
    I cannot believe you cannot look at your registration page on some device.
    I saw it on a mac via safari and wife saw it on here iPhone via safari.
    Even my brother found his. So did my mate who has serious trouble finding/doing the simplest things on the web (despite being an i.t. freelance :shock: )!

Are you sure the mention of the £58 was not at the bottom of the page that had all your registration details on?
    Your 'status' is about a third down that list. Its not very obvious that its the decision. They have just changed the word 'pending' to either 'cancelled' or 'approved/accepted.
  • ic.
    Sadly, I don't think it's me. Being a 10 year exp web development manager at a global company and all :)

I've tried it on Windows with IE10 and 11 (compat view and not), Chrome, Safari and Firefox, all give the same blank blue screen, but the source does show some content - the same content that is displayed to me via any mobile device I try.

Mobile wise, I've tried an iPad2, an iPhone 5s, a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active and a Nokia somethingorother running Windows.

Mac wise, I've tried Safari and Chrome on a Mac Book Pro.

I've even tried a Mac running Windows with IE and Chrome.

That's all I have available on my desk at the mo.

I've also tried 2 networks (home and office) and a 3G connection, not with all options but enough to get bored and walk away.

All give me the same thing. If it's desktop then I get a blue screen, if it's mobile I get a very simple page as described by other users above, with no details other than an ability to see an invoice which detailed the charge as I mentioned, but no status

Not much more I can do really :(

If it's me a numpty, fair do's, but I don't think it is.

If you log in now, do you still see what you saw before?

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Anonymous
    I used to see the whole application with the 'approved' box.

Now I just see the invoice.
  • IC. wrote:
    Sadly, I don't think it's me. Being a 10 year exp web development manager at a global company and all :)

I've tried it on Windows with IE10 and 11 (compat view and not), Chrome, Safari and Firefox, all give the same blank blue screen, but the source does show some content - the same content that is displayed to me via any mobile device I try.

Mobile wise, I've tried an iPad2, an iPhone 5s, a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active and a Nokia somethingorother running Windows.

I've also tried 2 networks (home and office) and a 3G connection, not with all options but enough to get bored and walk away.

All give me the same thing. If it's desktop then I get a blue screen, if it's mobile I get a very simple page as described by other users above, with no details other than an ability to see an invoice which detailed the charge as I mentioned, but no status

No, the original page is not available as before and is replaced with what appears to be an invoice for payment (or at least an indicator for this).

My guess is this status is an internal thing for them to produce the distribution list for when the proper invites open. Guessing they didn't realise that this information was public initially and have since closed this.

Just means for the lucky few that have seen whether they are in or not (*cough me :-) ) I can book accommodation early before it fills up and prices go through the roof!
  • ic.
    Similar to this then? This is what I see when logging in on iPad

Sorry from truly awful pic.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Anonymous
    Same as what I see (iphone)
  • The blue screen happened last year. it seemed to be a fault and they quickly closed it when they realised people were logging on to view the ballot results.

I managed to get on via my mobile but couldn't on desktop. Mine shows as cancelled for the 3rd year running.

Surely thats some serious bad luck
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • I didn't enter the ballot this year as I find the ballot weighting unfair. I have gone off Sportives a little as most of them require a large entry fee to ride on public roads (particularly if they aren't closed). Then you have to sort out hotels and travel. It gets very expensive all in all.

Having said that I can see the appeal of riding an event like this one. Closed urban roads in a busy city like London is very appealing.

Does sound like they need to get a handle on notifying people if they got in or not.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    The blue screen happened last year. it seemed to be a fault and they quickly closed it when they realised people were logging on to view the ballot results.

I managed to get on via my mobile but couldn't on desktop. Mine shows as cancelled for the 3rd year running.

If 10000 get places in the ballot, and 80000 applied, then the chances of failure are 7/8. Over 3 years that's a 67% chance of not getting a place.

I don't know what the numbers were over the last two years, something similar probably, the size of the event has risen, and so has the cap on the ballot. If you want to ride it you need to buy a place from a charity for £600. I think there were and are plenty available.

http://tourofcambridgeshire.com/ has a much better approach. And you can go as fast as you want!

Paul
  • Der Kaiser wrote:
    I didn't enter the ballot this year as I find the ballot weighting unfair. I have gone off Sportives a little as most of them require a large entry fee to ride on public roads (particularly if they aren't closed). Then you have to sort out hotels and travel. It gets very expensive all in all.

Having said that I can see the appeal of riding an event like this one. Closed urban roads in a busy city like London is very appealing.

Does sound like they need to get a handle on notifying people if they got in or not.

would you mind sharing the details of the ballot weighting?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Der Kaiser wrote:

In fairness, I think they do have a handle on notifying people, it's just we're all a bit impatient and want to know before the official magazines get sent out, presumably later this week.

Given that my entrance fee transaction has been cancelled, I'm guessing I'm not riding it this year - went and stupidly entered a triathlon the week before, so I'll have drowned by then anyway.
  • Der Kaiser wrote:
    I didn't enter the ballot this year as I find the ballot weighting unfair. I have gone off Sportives a little as most of them require a large entry fee to ride on public roads (particularly if they aren't closed). Then you have to sort out hotels and travel. It gets very expensive all in all.

would you mind sharing the details of the ballot weighting?

Well if you live overseas and apply you get in. If you are a woman you have a greater likelihood of getting in.

It's not a straight ballot as in names are drawn out. It's not rigged but weighted to fulfil certain criteria.

Whilst I understand the rationale behind the "Ballot" I don't like it. It would be fairer to call it a selection process.
  • IC. wrote:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • paul2718 wrote:
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    The blue screen happened last year. it seemed to be a fault and they quickly closed it when they realised people were logging on to view the ballot results.

If 10000 get places in the ballot, and 80000 applied, then the chances of failure are 7/8. Over 3 years that's a 67% chance of not getting a place.

I don't know what the numbers were over the last two years, something similar probably, the size of the event has risen, and so has the cap on the ballot. If you want to ride it you need to buy a place from a charity for £600. I think there were and are plenty available.

http://tourofcambridgeshire.com/ has a much better approach. And you can go as fast as you want!

Paul

Either way it does seem just reading through the forum there are a lot of people that have got in three times and a lot that havent got in once.

Using the 1/8 chance to get in 3/3 does indicate that there is a weighting on the ballot and whatever im putting in doesnt tick the boxes.

Im just bitter and jealous of those that did get a space
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

Paul

Either way it does seem just reading through the forum there are a lot of people that have got in three times and a lot that havent got in once.

Using the 1/8 chance to get in 3/3 does indicate that there is a weighting on the ballot and whatever im putting in doesnt tick the boxes.

Maybe the organisers could put people to the back of the queue if they got in through the selection the previous year. This way first timers would get a chance.

Maybe I'm just bitter about missing out the two previous years.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    :cry: Cancelled as well. 3rd year running. Would love to do this one year, but looks like a charity place would be the best option, and as has been discussed at length I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for sponsorship for something that wouldn't be that challenging so would have to cough up the money myself.

Oh well always next year
  • One of our club members has been in touch with the organisers...

They claim that THIS WEBSITE IS A SCAM...

Nothing to do with them, but guess that can be taken two ways.
    1. Its their error and this is denial
    2. It is a scam and they now have all our log in detail, emails address and passwords...but not sure what that could lead too. As long as its not the same password as all your other email accounts...!!!

Nice!
  • Hey,

Just registered to help those out that have moved and what not and finding the customer services as awful as I was.

For those who see a blank screen and want to try get on the site you can make changes to the site via Chrome to get it to work. Takes some tech savvy, but hopefully steps are easy to follow

USING CHROME
    1) Go to URL
    2) Right click -> inspect element. This opens a section at the bottom of the screen that shoes you all the underlying page HTML and styling. Nifty.
    3) Clicking in the large section on the left (under the tab Elements), Ctrl-F (to get search box) and type mainwrapper, this will jump to a line div line. Click on it and highlight (if not done already)
    4) On the right hand side, you will see the tab styles and just under it in a box something that looks like this

#mainWrapper {
    /* display: none; */
    }

5) There is a tick box, un-tick it. This will display the content of the whole page
    6) Login
    7) Repeat steps 3-5 everytime page loads

I remembered I donated my fee so I still have no idea if I am in or not!!

Hope this helps.
  • Jedi Si wrote:
    One of our club members has been in touch with the organisers...

2. It is a scam and they now have all our log in detail, emails address and passwords...but not sure what that could lead too. As long as its not the same password as all your other email accounts...!!!

Nice!

It's not a scam at all, it's the same website you used to register in the first place! It is what they use to generate the mailing list for the magazines themselves. I would be very surprised if they have told anyone it is a scam given that they haven't said as much in any of their twitter or facebook or even emails. The reason that they are not directing people to the website is that they have a lot of advertisers that have paid large sums of money to be in a magazine that will be sent to over 80000 dedicated cyclists (that's around three times the circulation of cycling weekly!).
  • zcapp96 wrote:
    Jedi Si wrote:
    One of our club members has been in touch with the organisers...

Nice!

It's not a scam at all, it's the same website you used to register in the first place! It is what they use to generate the mailing list for the magazines themselves. I would be very surprised if they have told anyone it is a scam given that they haven't said as much in any of their twitter or facebook or even emails. The reason that they are not directing people to the website is that they have a lot of advertisers that have paid large sums of money to be in a magazine that will be sent to over 80000 dedicated cyclists (that's around three times the circulation of cycling weekly!).
    Is that 100%???
    This is something for the organisers to answer bud. Am merely passing on the message from the organiser. They told him it was a scam, no one knows until the magazine arrives either successful or not...like I said in the post,
    1. Its their error and this is denial.
    That sounds like the more likely answer most would give if the common public had found a clause on their website to identify their result instead of the fantastic 'you didn't get in' magazine!
  • Jedi Si wrote:
    Is that 100%???
    This is something for the organisers to answer bud. Am merely passing on the message from the organiser. They told him it was a scam, no one knows until the magazine arrives either successful or not...like I said in the post,
    1. Its their error and this is denial.
    That sounds like the more likely answer most would give if the common public had found a clause on their website to identify their result instead of the fantastic 'you didn't get in' magazine!

I would say it is 100%, if it was a scam why would they not be shouting that from their twitter and facebook pages? Also it is exactly the same website as people used last year and it seemed to have a 100% correlation rate for those with cancelled on the website to getting the hard luck magazine, myself included.
  • Anonymous
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

Seems unfair if you do not get in once out of the 3 times, but remember that some of those people that are doing it for the third time may not have got in via the ballot for all of them.
    Maybe the fact that they took a charity place helped them on the ballot the subsequent year.

Having times from previous years probably means they can plan better to allow more entries, rather than relying on people guessing/lying about how long it will take.

The London marathon guarantee a place by the 5th year of entering the ballot I think, but not sure if RL will do the same.

Also, if it is partially a true ballot, luck will play a part.
  • ic.
    hardo82 wrote:
    Hey,

Just registered to help those out that have moved and what not and finding the customer services as awful as I was.

For those who see a blank screen and want to try get on the site you can make changes to the site via Chrome to get it to work. Takes some tech savvy, but hopefully steps are easy to follow

USING CHROME
    1) Go to URL
    2) Right click -> inspect element. This opens a section at the bottom of the screen that shoes you all the underlying page HTML and styling. Nifty.
    3) Clicking in the large section on the left (under the tab Elements), Ctrl-F (to get search box) and type mainwrapper, this will jump to a line div line. Click on it and highlight (if not done already)
    4) On the right hand side, you will see the tab styles and just under it in a box something that looks like this

#mainWrapper {
    /* display: none; */
    }

5) There is a tick box, un-tick it. This will display the content of the whole page
    6) Login
    7) Repeat steps 3-5 everytime page loads

I remembered I donated my fee so I still have no idea if I am in or not!!

Hope this helps.

If you do this, you'll see the same content as you do on a mobile device

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen