Fargo St. Unicycle Hill Climb - filmed with Aerial Drone!

unigeezer
unigeezer Posts: 39
edited February 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Shot 1/29/15 at Fargo Street in Echo park, CA. At a massive, constant 33% grade, this is one of the steepest streets on the planet, and has been the venue for an annual bike climb event since the mid 1970's. On this day I climbed it on a 29" non-geared unicycle, and the footage shot aerially gives a truly unique perspective, especially given the fact that the drone operator had to avoid trees, low hanging power lines, and also keep his drone from running into this mountain of a hill going up!

At 59, (or any age!) this monster WALL of a hill is beyond lung busting! I was in lactic threshold for at least the last 70% of the climb, and felt like me heart could burst through my jersey at any moment! Although this gives a good idea of the steepness, it's still can't do justice to actually being there and experiencing it for yourself! :D

Filmed with a DJl Phantom & gopro 4.

http://youtu.be/qf0A4UqSjyo

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Having to zigzag on a unicycle! Would a smaller wheel help?
  • Haha, I didn't see a "winkie" but you had to be kidding. If not, what video were you watching, lol? There was no zig-zagging. :roll:

Btw, the pic of Fargo street below IS zig zagging, and the vast majority do this...on TWO wheels, and even with ultra low gearing:

ziggy.jpg
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    You're right, the picture shows serious zig-zagging compared to your approach.
    I loved the shots taken alongside you where you effectively seemed to stop, then toppled forward to keep going.

Chapeau !

Pete
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    Very very impressive :D
    Hope I am half that fit when I am 59.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18