PTP Helpers

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Now then Ladies and Gents. It's coming up to the start of PTP season and I need helpers again. So far 3 of the guys from last year have said they will continue to help but I need about 10 in total.

So any volunteers please?
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll help.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I'm in. Loved doing the Giro last year (hint).
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • What does it entail? :-)
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I am in again.

Had an idea to make it a bit easier for us scorers, are we going to have a 2015 rules thread to chat through any changes the forum may or may not want?
  • rozzer32
    Remarkable wrote:
    What does it entail? :-)

Have a read of the ptp sticky at the top. Have to keep track of everyone's pick(s) and update the scores accordingly.

Mr poll - once I've got the helpers then I'll move on to the race calendar, rules etc.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am in again.

Had an idea to make it a bit easier for us scorers, are we going to have a 2015 rules thread to chat through any changes the forum may or may not want?

A Google Sheet that everyone can put their picks onto? Then the scorer just scores and won't get anything wrong.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    I'm happy to help again.
  • TheBigBean
    Remarkable wrote:
    What does it entail? :-)

It's worth noting that it is a little tedious and can take up a bit of time every day for the races that you cover. But the game is fun, and it needs people to run it, so if you are likely to have free time then it would be appreciated by the players.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Joelsim wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am in again.

A Google Sheet that everyone can put their picks onto? Then the scorer just scores and won't get anything wrong.

It's a possibility but does need everyone to obey the 12 cut off - slightly open to abuse.

I was thinking that for the multi stage races that if you don't pick a GC contender then you're out for that race. Much easier to sort the sheet for just players who are actively playing, last year ended up with loads of ppl who dipped in and out and most of the time only a half of the names on the sheet play. Even worse when someone pops up and makes a stage pick half way through, then goes quiet. Hard to track if you have missed anyone.

Thoughts?
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I can do a race or two - preferably early in the year.

GC idea above seems sensible enough, esp for the grand tours.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mr_poll wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am in again.

It's a possibility but does need everyone to obey the 12 cut off - slightly open to abuse.

I was thinking that for the multi stage races that if you don't pick a GC contender then you're out for that race. Much easier to sort the sheet for just players who are actively playing, last year ended up with loads of ppl who dipped in and out and most of the time only a half of the names on the sheet play. Even worse when someone pops up and makes a stage pick half way through, then goes quiet. Hard to track if you have missed anyone.

Thoughts?

To be honest I'm not sure it's a problem on the honesty, it's only for fun, and Valverde isn't playing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,234
    mr_poll wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am in again.

Just be reasonable about it.

Picks at 12:17 which are obviously not influenced by what might have happened before 12 - it's not gonna break the game.

Happened to me and put me off playing for the rest of the season since, as much as I like it, I also have a life outside of the forum *shock horror* :shock:

I mean if it's 13:05 and someone picks some rank outsider who's in a break or someone like me goes for Cancellara minutes after boonen crashes out of Flanders than fair enough, but you know, discretion is always better for this kind of stuff ;).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    mr_poll wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am in again.

Just be reasonable about it.

Picks at 12:17 which are obviously not influenced by what might have happened before 12 - it's not gonna break the game.

Happened to me and put me off playing for the rest of the season since, as much as I like it, I also have a life outside of the forum *shock horror* :shock:

I mean if it's 13:05 and someone picks some rank outsider who's in a break or someone like me goes for Cancellara minutes after boonen crashes out of Flanders than fair enough, but you know, discretion is always better for this kind of stuff ;).

If the person admining that race used their discretion and decided 12.17 was too late, what then?

I'm happy to do the spring classics - nothing after the end of April as work is just too busy in the summer.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    All i mean is if it's obvious they're cheating then sure - if it's just because people were riding until 12:30 or busy until then, whatever than y'know, cut some slack.

S'not like we're doing it for money.

Doesn't need to be so serious

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg
  • rozzer32
    All i mean is if it's obvious they're cheating then sure - if it's just because people were riding until 12:30 or busy until then, whatever than y'know, cut some slack.

S'not like we're doing it for money.

Doesn't need to be so serious

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

Then think ahead and post your pick the night before. The whole reason the 12 cut off being strict is so its fair and everyone knows. If one person who runs a race says 12.30 is fine but another race uses 12 then you'll be like well so and so let me pick at 12.30.

The rules are set before the season starts. And like you said doesn't need to be so serious, if you're late with a pick then don't throw your toys out the pram, move on to the next days pick.
  • rick_chasey
    :roll:

fair enough. S'no fun if you're not in the hunt.

Ah well.

Enjoy it guys.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I think a bigger problem might be someone returning to the sheet mid afternoon to 'fine tune' their pick...or even 'fine tuning' an opponents choice!

People joining a race half way though did create extra work for me when I was scoring as I felt I then needed to review all the previous race picks to see if I had missed them on earlier days. So I would agree with a 'No start, no race' rule.
    Half man, Half bike
  • rozzer32
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I think a bigger problem might be someone returning to the sheet mid afternoon to 'fine tune' their pick...or even 'fine tuning' an opponents choice!

People joining a race half way though did create extra work for me when I was scoring as I felt I then needed to review all the previous race picks to see if I had missed them on earlier days. So I would agree with a 'No start, no race' rule.

I think having an open spreadsheet could cause issues like you said. People changing there picks or someone else's pick.

Open to ideas about joining cut offs. Something like 3 days into a week stage race and 7 days into a grand tour?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Happy to help out, if needed.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

I think having an open spreadsheet could cause issues like you said. People changing there picks or someone else's pick.

Open to ideas about joining cut offs. Something like 3 days into a week stage race and 7 days into a grand tour?

I just looked at google docs and there is a revision history.
    Revision history
    Google Docs has a revision history pane that allows you to view all of the changes made to a document by each collaborator at a glance. While it may not work exactly like a track changes tool, Google Docs revision history lets you view and revert to earlier versions of your document, and see which collaborators made edits to each of these versions.

For all Google Docs types, revisions are grouped into short time periods to make it easier for the user to identify the slight differences between previous document versions. If you want to see more fine-grained revisions, click the Show more detailed revisions button in the lower right of your document.

Google spreadsheets sometimes trims down your revisions over time to save storage. If you're working in Google spreadsheets and your document is either large or you created it a long time ago, your revisions may be pruned. Visit the help article to learn more about this process.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    I can help with the odd single day race or short tour.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think the biggest problem with players entering their own picks is that, at least on my laptop/trackpad, it's super-easy to copy/paste into the wrong cells. Even with a separate sheet to keep the scoreboard clean, a picks sheet may need as much admin as copy/paste from the thread. What we need is a script to automate copying picks from the thread into a table.

TheBigBean is our man.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I could do a couple of the spring/ardennes classics this year if I'm needed. I can't do any of the stage races though I'm afraid.

To be fair even the 12pm cut off time is being quite generous. Most of the spring classics will be well under way by then and sometimes the break in a GT stage will be formed as well. Not saying we need to be even stricter, but you definitely need a pre-set cut off.
  • ridgerider
    On cut off times, I brought the time forward to 11am for the Dauphine at they were starting around 10 and finishing about 2, so I think each race/stage needs to be dealt with on it's merits...

The simple answer...no entries on the day!
    Half man, Half bike
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Add me to the list for one or two races (when I'm available)
  • rozzer32
    OK so far we have;

Joelsim
    dish_dash
    Ridgerider
    sjmclean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    TheBigBean
    shazzz
    Tailwindhome
    alanp23
    scwxx77
    Milton50
    hommelbier

Thanks for helping out :D it's much appreciated.

Now I'll sort the calender out (tomorrow or Wednesday) and I'll post it in the admin sticky. Then people can pick which races they want dependant on their availability and we will go from there.
  • TheBigBean
    I think we should remove the nationals from the calendar. Also, if it's not live Eurosport then I'd question its inclusion.
  • ridgerider
    I don't have Eurosport...can I still enter?
    Half man, Half bike
  • TheBigBean
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I don't have Eurosport...can I still enter?

How do you watch pro cycling?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    rozzer32 wrote:
    OK so far we have;

Joelsim
    dish_dash
    Ridgerider
    sjmclean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    TheBigBean
    shazzz
    Tailwindhome
    alanp23
    scwxx77
    Milton50
    hommelbier

Thanks for helping out :D it's much appreciated.

Now I'll sort the calender out (tomorrow or Wednesday) and I'll post it in the admin sticky. Then people can pick which races they want dependant on their availability and we will go from there.

Can I suggest that one person runs the comp per month (does the races and collates PTP GC). It'll save emails to yourself and stops the thing becoming disjointed.

I'm happy to run it up to and including LBL if someone else picks up the baton for the Romandie and onward
    I'm also happy to pick up KBK and Tirreno Adriatico (sp?) if you want to add them in
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!