2015 S-Works chainset shift quality vs DA9000

bartersb
bartersb Posts: 63
edited February 2015 in Road general
Hi all,

I have just bought the '15 S Works Tarmac Dura ace which comes with the S works chains. I haven't ridden the bike yet but have read that the front shifting is quite poor when compared to a DA 9000 chainset. Can anyone comment from experience on this?

The reason I want to know so badly is because I want to know what to do for a power meter. If I stay with the S works set up that comes with the bike I will go for a power2max s however if the shifting is a disaster I will buy a DA 9000 chainset & go with stages.

Cheers!

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I've had the S-Works crank on my main bike for 2 years and have never had a problem with it. It turns perfectly everytime. If you keep it clean and greased (I use the DuraAce grease) and correctly torqued then I don't think you will have a problem with it.

The reason I got this crank with the bike is because I don't really like the look of the DA9000 crank. The S-Work one looks better in my opinion and I'm pretty sure that it is lighter than the DA9000.

I have recently bought a DA9000 for my second bike. I've only ridden it once and so far I have no issues.

Ultimately they are both top of the range products so if they are looked after I doubt you'll have an issue with either.
  • If you don't want your Sworks chainset, I'll have it (subject to crank length!)
  • The cranks are by all accounts amazing in terms of stiffness to weight ratio. However, I have read that the shifting quality of the chainrings supplied are vastly inferior to Shimano.
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... aace#specs

Bernie--as I recall you ride a pretty wee bike. I am on 175mms!
  • bartersb wrote:
    The cranks are by all accounts amazing in terms of stiffness to weight ratio. However, I have read that the shifting quality of the chainrings supplied are vastly inferior to Shimano.
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... aace#specs

Bernie--as I recall you ride a pretty wee bike. I am on 175mms!

True, I need 170's! Never mind!

(I've never had any shifting issues with mine by the way).
  • Good to hear Bernie. Looks I will keep them & sell my Stages DA 9000 & buy a power2max s instead.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    edited February 2015
    I'm kinda in a similar spot barters

I'm building up a Tarmac but I'm torn between a sram red / s-works crank set or DA. Ive also heard mixed reports regarding s-works vs DA but i guess it's anecdotal rather than fact.

I'm not planning to use a power meter but I'm not sure whether it's better to stick with BB30 or use an adapter to run DA. I've heard people suggest running a converter may increase the chance of creaking but again this is anecdotal evidence I guess. Did this come into your thinking when trying to choose?

I run a 175mm and if you do decide to sell up please shoot me a pm. If it's a price we're both happy with it may help me make up my mind as to which system to choose!

Good luck with the bike, can't wait to get mine up and running!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • I think it's a shame to use converters on a Tarmac so you can fit a DA chainset.

If you really have to for power meter reasons then fine, but the Sworks chainset is such a good match for the bike - just looks right, it's a good bit lighter than DA, very easy to take out for greasing, etc. and shifts absolutely fine.

Front shifting is all in the derailleur IMO, a few degrees off will make good rings shift bad, and vice versa.

• Front shifting is all in the derailleur IMO, a few degrees off will make good rings shift bad, and vice versa.

That's what I sort of thought too Bernie. Unless people who didn't get on with the s-works cranks felt there was some type of inherent design flaw with the way it recieved the chain?

I defo agree looks wise but obviously that's just personal preference
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Hi Tommy, I didn't realise the 2015 Tarmac still required an adaptor for DA chainset. I read somewhere that adaptors were no longer needed for the SL5.

I am going to collect the bike next week & will give the front shifting a test to see how I feel about it. I had read that DA 9000 mech front shifting was now amazing--the main upgrade vs 7900. I will see myself before making a choice.

The S Works is lighter but then when you taken into account the weight having to run a spider based pm like p2m vs DA & a stages I think it is pretty much awash.

The S Works chainset is a rather expensive piece of kit. The crank arms alone are £400!
  • bartersb wrote:
    Hi Tommy, I didn't realise the 2015 Tarmac still required an adaptor for DA chainset. I read somewhere that adaptors were no longer needed for the SL5.

I am going to collect the bike next week & will give the front shifting a test to see how I feel about it. I had read that DA 9000 mech front shifting was now amazing--the main upgrade vs 7900. I will see myself before making a choice.

The S Works is lighter but then when you taken into account the weight having to run a spider based pm like p2m vs DA & a stages I think it is pretty much awash.

The S Works chainset is a rather expensive piece of kit. The crank arms alone are £400!

Yeah the price seems super high. Ecspecially when compared to the high end shimano / sram offerings which are generally considered among the market leaders. TBH I don't have 1st hand experience of either set up, but from a bit of research, they both seem to have pros and cons.

I may well be wrong on this (I'm on a fairly steep learning curb at the moment!), but my understanding is that you need an adapter to allow for the 24mm shimano spindle.

All the best
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • I've seen several builds on weight weenies with the new frameset & the DA 9000 chainset. Might be worth asking those guys.
  • Yes you will need an adaptor, the BB30 bearings in the Sworks frame can only take a BB30 mm spindle.

I have the an SL4 and an SL5 (both with Sworks chainsets).

There is no significant difference in their BB's, (both BB30).

I have always been wary of thoses adaptors increasing the Q factor - I like the way the Sworks cranks are nice and tight to the frame.
  • The shifting problems will be coming from the derailleur used, not the chainrings. It is such a simple function they do in terms of shifting that it shouldn't make a difference.
  • S works it is then. Placing my order for power2max.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Looks wise im with Berni, keep the S works (currently waiting for a friend to bring mine back from the states)

Otherwise I am out of this.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy