(n+1) x 50 = 3k?

Paulf1566
Paulf1566 Posts: 48
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
So, next year I reach the milestone of 50 years old and I am in the fortunate position that I have to decided to treat myself (with a policy pay off and contributions from all the family) to a new road bike and set a ceiling limit of £3k. I now face the pleasure and pain of doing the research to decide upon the new stead and having received great advice from this forum before, I was hoping this would be a great place to start. And yes I know, a year is a long way off but may buy earlier if temptation gets the better of me.

I used to cycle (road) a lot in my youth and was pretty fit playing football until the family and work demands kicked in 20 years ago. Became unfit with knackered knee but then took up MTB 4 years ago and road biking 2 years ago. Love it! I currently ride a 2013 Alu Giant Defy 0 and this will become the winter bike. I am slight in frame (5 ft 10" and 65kgs) and despite low weight, my weak spot is going up steep hills, which I find really hard. I cycle 2/3 times per week totalling about 75/100 miles although in the spring/summer, I probably do 100/150 miles. I am into comfort rather than speed.

The only thing that I have decided upon for certain, is that I want disc brakes. Then the questions begin... Carbon or Titanium, Di2 or not and what bikes are really going to fit the bill. Any advice and suggestions appreciated. The only one that has caught my eye so far is this one:-

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xe ... aid:756129

Thanks folks!
Ride to live.......live to Ride!

Comments

• bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    If buying new, and in your price bracket its near impossible to beat the value of Rose or Canyon.

If you bring emotion into it things get complicated.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You won't go far wrong with the Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc.

Was Bike of the Year last year and has now been upgraded with hydraulic discs. Well within your budget so you could upgrade the wheelset to some handbuilts and sell on the Aksium discs

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p73614/Cannon ... tAodYhoALA
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have suggested previously a Ridley Fenix C10 Disc to someone in a similar position.

I think it looks fantastic, and that it will be rarer than the likes of Cannondale/Canyon.

Road.cc gave it a good write up.
  • Thanks for swift replies. What if I bring emotion into it? What will I get tempted by?

Any views on carbon v titanium too please?
    Ride to live.......live to Ride!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Where are you based and what are your timescales? The london bike show (http://www.thelondonbikeshow.co.uk/) is n a couple of weeks, Manchester (http://www.bikeexpo.co.uk/) is 20th March and then there's the NEC in September.

At a 3K budget you have a lot of choice. As it is for a special birthday, I would be tempted to strengthen my normal position in this budget and say don't buy off the shelf. When you but an off the shelf bike, you are buying someone else's choice of components and compromises. Not being in a hurry makes it easier.

What sort of compromises do I mean? There are the obvious things like wheels, and saddle, along with substitution od chainset or brakes with non-groupset parts, eg a FSA crank.

But there's more - even if you do get full ultegra, you may end up with 175mm cranks, where 170 may suit you better or you might prefer a different choice for of casette, you may get a bike with say Syntace Racelight bars where you would suit 3T ergonovas better.

Going bespoke may initally look to cost more, but once you factor in getting the parts you really want, it's probably evens. It also spreads the pleasure - browsing and choosing components can be fun.

I would also suggest you look at custom frames if you want something special. A spin (ridefullgas.com) will probably be out of budget Burls (http://burls.co.uk/index.php) will do custom Titanium for about 1K. Rourke (http://www.rourke.biz/) will also do custom based around Steel. I would also take a little time to try to have a look at Condor and Enigma for something a little out of the ordinary.

In terms of Ti Vs Carbon, they are just different, neither is "better". If you are looking at being a weight weenie, Carbon is more likely to suit, but Ti has a lot to offer. I personally went with Ti as I like the idea that it is more robust - I would be twitchy about clamping a carbon frame on a bike carrier in case I got a bit hamfisted and crushed the tube.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Consider talking to Epic cycles as they have a number of bikes in Carbon, steel and titanium which would fit the bill:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I recently passed 5-0 and wanted to give myself something distinctive and memorable - so I designed and built this for a lot less than £3k:
    VWKmrPYl.jpg
    Custom titanium frame with custom polished graphics, matching forks, carbon rims and colour-matched components - OK, I know it's not a road bike, but with a bit of imagination you can give yourself something truly unique rather than a big-brand, me-too special.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cattytown
    You certainly won't see another like that on the ridelondon!

Looking at the gearing, can you ride up cliffs?

Not my thing, but hey, it's pretty darn cool :-)
    Giant Defy 2
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Think custom steel would be the way to go with some nice hand built wheels. It's not like your racing and it's all about comfort and fun.

custom steel frame and fork
    5800 105 groupset
    Custom wheels

Should come in around 2.5k.

First time ever I've told someone to spend less
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Yes, custom steel is worth considering and well within budget even with top quality groupset etc as long as you stay away from exotica like stainless tubesets and some of the more upmarket frame builders.

I only mention stainless steel because it seems to come up in lots of discussions comparing different frame materials- perhaps because its the latest steel available. But Reynolds 853 will build into a light and reasonably stiff frame for around half the cost of 953 stainless.

Steel means a full custom build is available and you get the bike you've always dreamed of (unless you've always dreamed of carbon of course).
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited February 2015
    Paulf1566 wrote:
    The only thing that I have decided upon for certain, is that I want disc brakes. Then the questions begin... Carbon or Titanium, Di2 or not and what bikes are really going to fit the bill. Any advice and suggestions appreciated. The only one that has caught my eye so far is this one:-

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xe ... aid:756129

Thanks folks!

Well, that will date and date, it's like buying a new Vauxhall Astra, as are a lot of bikes. I'd consider dumping the Disc Brakes and the Di2 and trying to build up something more classic (even considering top end s/h frames). When all the stuff bolted to that frame seems old hat in about two years time not even the frame will seem classic of its time.
  • cattytown
    mfin wrote:
    Well, that will date and date, it's like buying a new Vauxhall Astra, as are a lot of bikes. I'd consider dumping the Disc Brakes and the Di2 and trying to build up something more classic (even considering top end s/h frames). When all the stuff bolted to that frame seems old hat in about two years time not even the frame will seem classic of it's time.

Another good reason to go bespoke...
    Giant Defy 2
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Custom steel, disc brakes and decent mechanical groupset would be my choice if it was a 'keeper' - read the thread about obtainability of 3-year old Di2 gear mechs should put you off anything electronic. Shand Stoater in custom geo would be a good start for inspiration.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Ridley fenix disc. Saw one yesterday and was impressed. Decals were a tad dated but the layout and angles were nice.

Otherwise, the Defy Advanced Pro comes in under budget.

Custom steel has it's fans, of course, but it wouldn't be my choice for a disc roadie.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer