Charge Knife v Spoon

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
My LBS has a great deal on a Knife Ti, I really love my Spoons and how comfy they are, how does the Knife compare? The top form looks similar just a bit less padding and a lower overall profile height?

It would be to replace the Bonti on my Litespeed as I find it can be a little snaggy when your coming from hanging off the rear and it can go on my commuter.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You occasionally get knives(?) on ebay for about a tenner - how about trying one to see what it's like, then upgrading to the ti version if you like the shape?
  • The Rookie
    Yeah, but by then I'll have likely missed out on what is a great deal!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    They share a similar shape but the knife has significantly less padding and as such you may not find it as comfortable as a spoon, but if it's a good deal it could well be worth a try of you want to save abit of weight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are £25 on Ebay. Serious deal. I've been umming and aaahing for a while already.

Have Spoons on everything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    At £25 they've gotta be worth a punt. Got a link?
  • The Rookie
    I presume searching ebay for charge knife ti is to hard for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charge-Knife- ... 4d22882f5c
  • lawman
    The Rookie wrote:
    I presume searching ebay for charge knife ti is to hard for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charge-Knife- ... 4d22882f5c

Not particularly, but just helpful for anyone else who might be interested.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    That's a great price for a Charge Knife, shame they don't have them in black as I can get a extra 10% off that price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Someone else is selling them at a similar price - might be worth searching.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Knife Ti purchased, comparing the upper surfaces it's identical to the Spoon so hoping it will be as comfy, the padding is a little firmer but not much. Fitted to the commuter (as a saddle swap on that takes about 50 seconds) and I'll break it in on that over the next week before putting it on the MTB.
  • jimothy78
    How is the weight compared to the claimed 210g?

Cromo Spoon gets sold as 275g, but both mine are 290g....
  • The Rookie
    Shamefully I didn't weigh it before putting it on, it will only be on for a week or so while I break it in and form an opinion then I'll swap it on to the Litespeed.
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:
    Shamefully I didn't weigh it before putting it on.

:roll:
  • The Rookie
    jimothy78 wrote:
    How is the weight compared to the claimed 210g?

Cromo Spoon gets sold as 275g, but both mine are 290g....
    My Cromo Spoon's are 293 and 295g, I cant find a claimed weight for the Cro-mo, they claim 258g for both Ti and Cro-mo!
  • The Rookie
    Well after a week on the commuter I thought I would give the results from my posterior comfort measuring device (its a Smart 4r5e not a dumb 4r5e!), the padding is firmer than the spoon, but not by more than a tiny amount, over all very happy and would buy another Knife.

Anyone know when the Charge Fork comes out....ideal when blaming the Forking saddle!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    The Rookie wrote:
    My LBS has a great deal on a Knife Ti, I really love my Spoons and how comfy they are, how does the Knife compare? The top form looks similar just a bit less padding and a lower overall profile height?

It would be to replace the Bonti on my Litespeed as I find it can be a little snaggy when your coming from hanging off the rear and it can go on my commuter.

Have owned a knife (in white) and ridden & raced many many miles on it. After the initial breaking in period I found it to be a great saddle and for the right price i'd buy another.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    I've just swapped the Knife over to the MTB, 222g compared to the claimed 210g, so a bit off but not too bad.