Windproof Jacket / Jersey

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
AT the moment, most of my cycling kit is baggy mountain bike stuff, so not ideal for road use due to flapping around everywhere.

My usual kit is a pair of Sportful Total Comfort bib tights (my only road kit so far), an Endura BaaBaa merino base layer, and an Endura Humvee long sleeve jersey. The jersey is not very good at keeping out the cold wind this time of year, even with the merino base layer - so I am looking for something to use instead. (I have an Endura gillet which is fine for keeping out the wind on the core - but my arms get very chilly).

Should I be looking at a jersey or a jacket?

I've seen the Sportful Fiandre light wind jersey which looks quite good, but have noticed that a lot of the soft shell type jackets can also be worn with just a base layer underneath.

My one concern is that road clothing is a lot more snug than MTB kit, and I am in the process of shedding a couple of extra kgs (mainly in the moob and midriff area) I'm a medium in the Endura kit. With this in mind I have looked at the Fat Lad At The Back kit, but haven't seen any real detailed reviews of their kit - other than brief overviews.

Any advice?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I do both road and mountain biking and use most of my kit for either.

This time of the year I have a merino base layer, specialized solid Jersey and a gore windstopper jacket. Also wear winter bibs to keep my legs warm. It is all fitted without being either skin tight or baggy like a sail. Anything similar will be fine but the main thing is to think about the layers. The bottom layer is to draw moisture away from the body , middle layers to keep you warm and a jacket to keep the wet / wind chill off you. I am about 6ft7 and 100kg so not the typical small , slim road biker physique but find after checking sizing charts I have no problems getting kit to fit.

My winter weight is about a stone more than my summer weight which while noticeable on the bike is not a problem.
  • gcwebbyuk
    So it might be worth sticking with the Humvee jersey and get jacket like the Windchill II. I have one of the Humvee Convert jackets and also an older windproof jacket - but both are quite baggy and blow around all over the place.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I bought one of these last autumn and find it a real useful item of clothing to help with layering and temperature regulation. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod91338
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You could do a lot worse than this jersey. I'm not sure why it's a jersey and not a jacket - it's wind proof at the front but not the sides so you can breathe in it still.

Goes up to XXL too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-ro ... ve-jersey/
  • gcwebbyuk
    DJ58 wrote:
    I bought one of these last autumn and find it a real useful item of clothing to help with layering and temperature regulation. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod91338

I have the Endura Lazer Gilet which keeps my core warm, but it's my arms that feel the cold when the wind is blowing.
    cougie wrote:
    You could do a lot worse than this jersey. I'm not sure why it's a jersey and not a jacket - it's wind proof at the front but not the sides so you can breathe in it still.

Goes up to XXL too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-ro ... ve-jersey/

I like the look of that. Thanks
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I bought an Endura Jetstream jersey just after Christmas and have been using it a lot. It has a nice slim fit and keeps the wind off really well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think that if something has jersey pockets, its a jersey.

Gore Phantom is a great piece of kit.
    Interestingly they call it a jacket, even though it has jersey pockets and the arms come off, turning it into a short sleeve jacket then I guess lol.
    I think the reason its called a jacket is to try and justify the cost. Either that or maybe as its slightly thicker/hevier than some.

Evans have them for £88 with the extra 10% off at the moment.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Gabba.
  • gcwebbyuk
    So much choice! The Jetstream looks good, the Phantom looks good too.

Now the Gabba, not sure I can swing that past the wife with all the other kit I have bought...
  • gcwebbyuk
    Carbonator wrote:
    I think that if something has jersey pockets, its a jersey.

Gore Phantom is a great piece of kit.
    Interestingly they call it a jacket, even though it has jersey pockets and the arms come off, turning it into a short sleeve jacket then I guess lol.
    I think the reason its called a jacket is to try and justify the cost. Either that or maybe as its slightly thicker/hevier than some.

Evans have them for £88 with the extra 10% off at the moment.

Do you know if any of the rear pockets are zippable for valuables?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    This came out as the best buy in the latest cycling plus group test.
    http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=223
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2015
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

Not on the Phantom.

I have an Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream too. That has a zipped pocket, but its a bot more footballer tracksuit than cyclist looking.

The Phantom is a steal at £88 IMO.
    Very windproof, soft feeling fabric (not plastic bag feeling like some), very water resistant, and super versatile.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Carbonator wrote:
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

Not on the Phantom.

I have an Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream too. That has a zipped pocket but its a bot more footballer tracksuit than cyclist looking.

The Phantom is a steal at £88 IMO.

Are the pockets safe enough to store a phone and wallet in on the phantom?
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2015
    The middle one is like a normal jersey pocket material, but the outer ones are a lot thicker (so guess more secure).
    Never had a problem putting a phone in any jersey, but the Phantom is more secure.

I tend to put the phone in the middle one anyway thinking about it. With a small packable outer shell in case it tips down.
    I find the Phantom and an outer jacket in the pocket combination a really good one actually.
    Have a Gabba too but have not tried it yet.
  • Anonymous
    Just read your opening post fully.
    The fit/cut of the Phantom might be about right. Its a road garment but not overly fitted.
    I have put on a little weight recently and thats why I have not tried the Gabba yet. The Phantom is fine though :wink:

That Endura Equipe looks interesting. Rapha styling and Rapha pricing too!
  • gcwebbyuk
    What is the sizing like on the Gore compared to the Endura?

My Endura jersey and base layer are M and the gillet and jacket are L (I'm a 41" chest) the Gore sizing guide looks like I will need an XL!
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2015
    I find the Phantom quite generous really.
    I have an Endura MT500 jersey in a large and its about the same size (I just tried them both on) as the Phantom in a large.

The MT500 is an MTB jersey though so needs to be less fitted.
    I have lost weight since getting my original Phantom and now have a medium one too. Although I always felt the large was a little big.

I do not think you will need an XL by the sounds of it.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    What is the sizing like on the Gore compared to the Endura?

My Endura jersey and base layer are M and the gillet and jacket are L (I'm a 41" chest) the Gore sizing guide looks like I will need an XL!

To me the Gore Phantom sizes pretty big - my xl is a little to big for me - I would say I am a 42" chest.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks both of you, glad I asked before ordering! Will go with a large then.
  • Anonymous
    Np. Hope you like it as much as I do.

Just watched the Gore video on the evans site (far right in the photo gallery after all the different colours) and he looks like he could go at least one size smaller lol.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    So much choice! The Jetstream looks good, the Phantom looks good too.

Now the Gabba, not sure I can swing that past the wife with all the other kit I have bought...

I've got the Gabba convertible and it's a fab piece of kit. Very versatile due to the removable sleeves.
    I often look at other new cycling tops and think "hmmm, I'd like that" ....
    But then I reply to myself "But I've already got a Gabba" ...

It's nearly all the cycle jersey you need, therefore saving you money long term :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have they fixed the sleeves on the Phantom yet? Several years ago I chatted to Gore about the way that the reflective stripes on the Phantom II sleeves twist inwards on the bike. They agreed that it was a design fault and even offered to change the jacket. The Phantom is really an MTB jacket (according to Gore) - Oxygen being their more road-specific range (which is what they offered me). I've never needed/used the removeable sleeve feature. As mentioned above, if my core is cold, my arms certainly will be.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Sounds like you have probably decided on a phantom, but if not you might want to consider this:

http://www.royles.biz/p/12692/Mavic-Echappee-Jacket-Blue
    8875_351691.jpg

Expect a Large would fit you fine - I have both an Echappee and a Phantom in small, and am 72kg.

My personal preference is the Echappee - the arm vents are superb and very easy to adjust on the move.

Two reviews that made me choose the jacket:
    http://road.cc/content/review/76346-mavic-echappee-jacket
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-mavic-echapee-jacket-11-45457/

Oh and a small and an XXL in a different colour scheme for £15 less here:
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Mavic/Echappee-Jacket/18IB
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you're looking for the Gore Phantom check your local Halfords. Mine had a couple priced at £90. The staff and till then both applied a 20% discount for winter clothing, followed by British cycling discount. Bought it down to £50 and a few pennies. Bargain of the year!! Wish I bought two.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks for the other suggestions of the Mavic and getting the phantom from Halfords. But I had already ordered from wiggle...

It arrived today, and I wore it while on the turbo trainer in the garage. It was much warmer than my Endura jersey, and certainly kept the cold wind out (our garage seems to be in a position that it attracts the wind). It didn't breath as well as the Endura, but then that is an open weave kind of Jersey which is why the wind got In so easily. It breathes enough though, and I can experiment with opening the sleeve zips as vents.

I should be out for a road ride tomorrow subject to weather. As long as the phantom is dried from its post ride wash, it should make the coastal ride much warmer.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Today's a great day to find out how breathable your jacket is - if it ain't breathing too well in today's winds, it ain't going to, ever!! Less than 2 Celsius this morning and I was most impressed with my Castelli Alpha - mesh sub-base and long sleeve merino base layer and I was spot on temperature wise. Wish the same could be said for energy levels battling the wind!!

Peter
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Shout out for the Sportful R&D Wind jersey here, following my first ride in it yesterday. Temp gauge registered 5 degrees but was decidedly colder with windchill (man, it was windy!) Jersey has an insulating layer (Polartec Alpha fabric) and a thin windproof outer and laughs in the face of cold wind 8)

Tight fit mind (tighter than my Gabba), so thinking of sizing up
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Not sure that trying it indoors on a turbo is going to be that informative.
    I am mr sweaty and trust me, its highly breathable.

You should not need to be using the arm zips as vents.
    A decent base layer is a good thing to have. Long sleeve would work best.

Did you wash it as per instructions? 30 degrees and inside out?
    Don't forget you will need to re proof it when it no longer beads water.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about it not breathing, it breathes enough, just that my summer style Jersey has a more open weave to it.

I wore my merino base layer underneath.

All washed as per the rest of my kit at 30c, inside out with no softner.

I'm heading out at 2pm for a 25 mile coastal ride, so it's gonna get a testing! As am I :?