Crash first aid tips/courses

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited February 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Hi
I run cycling tours here in France and I think it is a good idea to get some good advice or even a course in what to do if,for example, you turn a corner and see another cyclist on the ground with a head injury or unconscious or both. I would like to pass this on to riders and staff before a tour.
Are there any sites, courses or other in the UK that I can visit etc?

Thanks for any pointers

Paz

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Call 112 maybe. No offence, but if you run tours in France on a commercial basis, you ought to have procedures in place already.
  • rouleur23
    rouleur23 Posts: 175
    Hi

Good point but I do have a basic first aid course under the old belt BUT...I need to know how to PASS THIS ON (and more) to clients. What I mean is, I don't want someone to say.... ''you were not qualified to pass this knowledge on and thus Mr ?????? was given advice my a person or persons not qualified to do so''. litigation is fast becoming a very nasty place and some folks look for ways to crucify those who meant well in the first place.
    Everyone is given emergency numbers (some phone signals don't exist in many places) and a very basic idea as to make an injured person comfortable. With head injuries a panic stricken fellow rider (or stranger) needs to be aware of his/her position legally. As bad a that sounds it is a dangerous area today and a sad reflection on society.
    I am looking for concrete advice on this. 112 may not be available at all times. Not all riders carry a phone. Or a phone may be broken in a crash or run our of power unexpectedly. I think I ought to cater for all scenarios.
    I want to do said course in my 1st language so nothing is left to chance. So of you do hear of anything, post it here please. I will contact British Cycling today. Thanks
  • imposter2.0
    Why do you need to pass it on? You or whoever is leading the ride should be 1st aid qualified anyway. Outside of those rides, other people will ride at their own risk in any case. If your clients are there to ride bikes, they will probably be less bothered about acquiring first aid knowledge as part of the package.

One of the main elements of most first aid courses is recognising when a person's injury requires more than just basic first aid. Technically, unless you are a qualified first aid trainer/instructor, you should not be passing any knowledge on, which is why I suggested calling 112.

On the other hand, if you want to become a first aid trainer, I would expect you to be qualified according to the regulations of the country you are in - which may not be the same as your native language.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I agree with Imposter.

If I went on a cycling tour I'd expect the own to have proper insurance and to ensure the course was safe. If you are riding with the riders then it might be useful for you to have basic knowledge of what to do when a crash occurs.

I had a serious accident in October - the broken ribs, collarbone and neck that I sustained were not the most serious injuries. Basic common sense meant that the people I was riding with knew that I needed to stay still and be kept warm and to try to keep me concious until the ambulance arrived.

The last thing I wanted was for someone with no medical training to attempt to do anything more than this.

If people ride your events from other countries then you could give out details of how to contact medical staff - I for one would not know how to do this in France. The very least I'd expect was to have the contact details of the event organiser.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,515
    For British Cycling coaching qualifications you need an emergency first aider qualification, these can be provided by British Red Cross or St John Ambulance for about £90.00
    I'm sure they'll also provide "train the trainer" type courses too, I hope this helps; it seems that those above won't.
  • imposter2.0
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I hope this helps; it seems that those above won't.

Yeah, we were too busy pointing out the obvious...like the possibility of your own suggestion actually not being a very useful thing to do....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I've stopped at about 1/2 a dozen accidents - couple of cyclists, mainly motorcyclists. Did my training with plod as part of teaching bike safe (motorcycle safety course run by police). I've always been lucky to have someone more qualified than me turn up very quickly. 2 of those were rather gruesome and I'm not sure I could have coped that well on my own. To anyone thinking of learning and I would recommend everyone does... Make sure you can get your head round what you might have to do.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I would contact St Johns and ask them about courses that follow on from basic first aid.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]