Dodgy bike setup from Halfords?

CarrotCakeIsYum
CarrotCakeIsYum Posts: 6
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

I guess I'm what you'd class as an occasional lurker! I was after some advice on MTB set up...

I usually ride TT bikes, but wanted a mountain bike for trips to the pub and a now-and-again trek out along the surrey trails. In the end I went for a cheap Apollo Evade from Halfords, which seems to be made out of jelly metal but does the job.

On one of my first rides I was turning right from a main road into a side road. The front wheel stuck - causing me to stagger around and look like a bit of a prat (and of course some muppet who was waiting to come out of the side road wasn't happy to wait an extra two seconds and honked his horn).

On inspecting the bike they've set it up so the front brake cable is routed as going across the back of the fork (to the right hand brake lever). This means when I turn the handlebars to the right the cable gets caught on the tyre tread. I don't know if the pictures are clear enough to show the problem? I have always set brakes up so the cable is routed in front of the forks, so doesn't get caught in the tyre - its done that way on every other bike I own.

I'm happy to alter the cable myself. But feel I should contact Halfords to let them know, in case they do it again and it causes injury. I just wanted to check I wasn't being thick, and they were in fact setting them up correctly.

Cheers!

20150130_101943.jpg

20150130_101931.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That looks rather wrong
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes report it back to them as that is not good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just take it back then. Why the post on here?
  • Thanks for the advice - I've dropped them an e-mail.
    Just take it back then. Why the post on here?
    Firstly: The last line of my 1st post - I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something and check this wasn't some new-fangled way of setting up bikes.
    Secondly: I thought this would be a good place to ask, it being a cycling forum 'n all. :)
  • Quil stem - didn't realise you could get them.

Cam't you just slacken off the alan bolt in the stem and spin the forks 360 to get the cable the right side?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    that's some clever cable routing.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Quil stem - didn't realise you could get them.

Cam't you just slacken off the alan bolt in the stem and spin the forks 360 to get the cable the right side?

This^^ some muppet turned the handlebars the wrong way when it was being pulled out of the box.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    stubs wrote:
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Quil stem - didn't realise you could get them.

This^^ some muppet turned the handlebars the wrong way when it was being pulled out of the box.

No.

It's set up wrong, not just a spun around fork. Cable should come to front of fork arch, down leg beside wheel and through to the disc brake - the way it is, running up back of leg and under frame to get to right lever cannot be done simply by spinning the fork around. Or at least not in my understanding of 3 dimensional shapes.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Perhaps you should try, it will, the bike was built up before getting to Halfords, they've just fitted the bars with the forks rotated 360 degrees, loosen quill stem, rotate forks back 360 degrees (it will only work one way not the other) tighten quill stem. That will move the brake cable as required.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The guys at halfords would only have put the bars on and possibly the wheels.
    Thats how we got them when I worked for them in my student days.
    We had a batch of Apollo once where the fork steerer was made of cheese. Didn't matter how tight you did the stem bolt after a minute or so they'd rotate. We couldn't get the forks out on one as the steerer had deformed so much.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    The Rookie wrote:
    Perhaps you should try, it will, the bike was built up before getting to Halfords, they've just fitted the bars with the forks rotated 360 degrees, loosen quill stem, rotate forks back 360 degrees (it will only work one way not the other) tighten quill stem. That will move the brake cable as required.

This.

A couple of the guys in my shop almost sent a few Evades out like this when they first started, good job i spotted it before it left the shop. Every one comes from the factory like that so it just requires a 360 degree turn of the fork before installing the stem. Easy to do yourself with a 6mm Allen key but take it back to store if you want them to do it for you.
  • Great advice - quick loosen of the stem, a spin of the forks and it's all sorted. Saved me messing about with the routing, so thanks for that. :D
  • Great advice - quick loosen of the stem, a spin of the forks and it's all sorted. Saved me messing about with the routing, so thanks for that. :D

No probs.