No Plan B

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited February 2015 in Road general
Just watched this film on Rapha's site with the tears rollin down my face. It makes you realize how fragile life can be and that suffering on the bike is a pleasure!

Comments

• Sounds like they've hooked another....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Love or hate Rapha, the films are beautiful.

I don't know why I put myself through that as the first part reminded me of the year of chemo my teenage son went through (3 days at a time) and it is brutal, just totally brutal.

But then the second part reminded me of all the positives that come from those experiences: my boy who missed a year and a half of school and now has an offer from Queens' College, Cambridge, to do Natural Sciences. And the certain knowledge for me that nothing on a bike will ever even register on the scale of toughness that going through that experience with my son (and the several friends I lost to Cancer that year) brought.

I wish you could bottle it so that people don't need to go through those things to have that certainty. Unfortunately you can't.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Beautifully shot, composed and very moving.

I've bought a cap for the cause.

I'm currently off the bike with a broken femur and this film is very inspiring for my recovery.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • This is just sh!te analogy after sh!te analogy while I watch a man chunder into his sink.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Undertones wrote:
    This is just sh!te analogy after sh!te analogy while I watch a man chunder into his sink.

Were you expecting something else from a guy going through chemo?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Watched my wife (then girlfriend) go through chemo in her early 20s. It's a completely alien experience, even for us as medics. Personally happy to support them in trying to improve the patients lot away from the medical side of thing.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I didn't like him in The Sweeney much either.
  • life changing events do what they say on the tin, it's certainly true you do get only one shot at life, there is no plan B.

And equally you don't get pleasure/glory with out putting the effort/suffering in.

the analogy doesn't really work for me but then very different sort of experience.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's something well executed but of course stylized in a completely 'film making by numbers' clichéd manner, just like would be expected really.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Ultimately, it's a film on the rapha website so you pretty much know what you're going to get before you press play and it's a bit daft to expect anything else!

Having said that, it's a good film to watch. The struggle is portrayed honestly - the look on his face as the chemo hits speaks volumes. But then the bike ride looks awesome. It's not just a moody bunch of mamils, they all look like they're having a ball and the fact that looking forward to the Corsica trip gave the chap something to keep in his mind as a motivation to keep pushing on is a great message.

Not sure how successful the aims of thrivor will be but it seems like a blooming good thing to aim for so I've bought a cap too. It'll be the only rapha gear I ever own!!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    All the profits of the cap go to Thrivor, but if you don't need a cap they are better off if you just donate £10 directly to them if that's possible (plus any postage costs if they charge for delivery you could donate). OR, donate the £10 to another cancer charity.