Bike box lining

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2015 in Road general
I need to replace the foam lining on my bike travel case as its getting a bit old and tatty looking.

Does anyone know where the best place to buy the replacement sheeting? I have a B&W case with grey eggbox like foam. I want a sheet roughly 2m x 1m.

TIA

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd start by looking on ebay

Though a quick google on egg box foam throws up loads of companies

http://www.easyfoam.co.uk/packaging-foam-egg.php for instance
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I bought a load of foam once from a company called eFoam to make a custom flight case for stuff. Went great. Mark everything up and cut. I used a dremel and a craft knife but I'm sure there's more elegant solutions.

They actually do a picknpluck thing where it comes almost perforated into cubes and you can just pull out the cubes you don't want to use.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    A cheap and effective way to do this is to use an old cardboard box (you know, the sort that bikes are
    transported in to bike shops). They are immensely strong and weigh next to nothing. What's more, you
    will most likely get one for £0.00 from any bike shop.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Got any carpet underlay lying about. Makes a great (and hardy) liner...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Anonymous
    De Sisti wrote:
    A cheap and effective way to do this is to use an old cardboard box (you know, the sort that bikes are
    transported in to bike shops). They are immensely strong and weigh next to nothing. What's more, you
    will most likely get one for £0.00 from any bike shop.

i have a 250 quid solid bike transporter box already. Thats what i am after relining. As good as cardboard is i wouldn't trust it going on an aircraft.
  • Anonymous
    dilatory wrote:
    I bought a load of foam once from a company called eFoam to make a custom flight case for stuff. Went great. Mark everything up and cut. I used a dremel and a craft knife but I'm sure there's more elegant solutions.

They actually do a picknpluck thing where it comes almost perforated into cubes and you can just pull out the cubes you don't want to use.

Thanks. I took a look. Kind of stuff im after.
  • dilatory wrote:

Thanks. I took a look. Kind of stuff im after.

I've used them before for work related use. No problems with the company and the foam they supplied was decent enough.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    What about thin celotex from builders yard. Tough but very light. Dont know where you are but if your anywhere near colchester in essex ive got enough in my shed for a bike box you can have for free
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Still using my canyon bike guard and bubble wrap, 6 years on a no bike damage
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799