Best rims for Hope Mono RS hubs?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I want to make some wheels and read good comments on here about Hope hubs although the graphics are horrible.
The rear Hope Mono hub flanges look quite close together does this mean a deeper rim will suit better? Would like to try something different to H+Son Achetype, but 23 mm.
Is the Hope freehub quieter than DTSwiss? Shimano are out as everything on my bikes is Campag.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Is a Hope hub quiet?! Ha, good one!!

No!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    I think noise-wise the RS mono is what you might call a Marmite hub. I love it. Very useful for alerting pedestrians on shared use paths of your approach from behind.
    I always think JR Hartley from the old TV ad : i.e. The noise it makes reminds me very much of line being pulled from an old Fly Fishing reel ......
  • I want to make some wheels and read good comments on here about Hope hubs although the graphics are horrible.
    The rear Hope Mono hub flanges look quite close together does this mean a deeper rim will suit better? Would like to try something different to H+Son Achetype, but 23 mm.
    Is the Hope freehub quieter than DTSwiss? Shimano are out as everything on my bikes is Campag.

Flange is 53-54 and a bit taller than normal, builds fine with shallow rims too. Kinlin 279 is pretty much the only sensible alternative to Archetype, the others are just overpriced replicas.
    The new 42 T ratchet is less noisy than the older PRO 3 one, but still among the noisiest out there. The good thing about Hope, beside the good reliability and availability of spares, is that you virtually need zero tools for service and maintenance, which is nice of course. Not light hubs, if you care about these things.
    left the forum March 2023
  • I bought a pair of hope factory wheels with Open Pro rims after I got fed up with the ridiculous cost of servicing an almost idential wheelset with Chris King classic hubs, and I love the Hope mono RS hubs!

They are noisy, but I like noisy freehubs as they act as an audible brake in group riding (especially useful during races though) and as Ugo said on pavements. They also have quick engagement which is nice.

As for rims, I like my Open Pros as they are fairly light but also relatively strong- however I'm not sure how well the brake tracks survive in the awful weather we're having at the moment compared to other rims as I tend to use mine only in the summer.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322

DT Swiss R460...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Velocity A23!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Keezx wrote:

DT Swiss R460...

Any idea why it is so cheap? Normally when DT makes something decent, they charge over the odds for it...
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Keezx wrote:

DT Swiss R460...

Any idea why it is so cheap? Normally when DT makes something decent, they charge over the odds for it...
    The DT Swiss R460 looks like an interesting rim! I wonder where you can get hold of it though?
  • holiver wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

DT Swiss R460...

The DT Swiss R460 looks like an interesting rim! I wonder where you can get hold of it though?

Distributed by Madison, so in theory any bike shop should be able to order them in for you at RRP, which 35 quid or so... only 28 and 32 listed by Madison
  • holiver
    I wonder if there are any European stores that have all hole variants and would ship to the UK?
  • holiver wrote:
    I wonder if there are any European stores that have all hole variants and would ship to the UK?

I wonder if there is any lower than 28 rim... traditionally DT Swiss stops at 28
  • holiver wrote:

Sleeve joined... that explains why it is cheap... nothing wrong with it, but sleeve joined rims tend to have a bump... if you build them on a P&K Lie stand, the all thing will probably shake violently and shout very long and threatening German words! :mrgreen:
  • holiver
    Apparently they are tubeless compatible too? Could be a bargain!
  • holiver wrote:
    Apparently they are tubeless compatible too? Could be a bargain!

Could be a bargain.

However, DT don't do good and cheap... they do good and expensive or cheap&cheap.... the old 465 had a RRP of 60 quid or so and so the 415, priced above the competition from Mavic and Ambrosio like for like. The 440, also tubeless ready, has a RRP of 59.99. The fact they price a new AND tubeless rim so low to me suggests it is a Chinese job rebadged... nothing wrong with it, but if it is priced at the same level of a destickered Kinlin rim, it can only be worse than a Kinlin rim me thinks... :roll:
  • on-yer-bike
    Not looking for a bargain necessarily but reasonably light would be nice. Are there any issues with DT Swiss 240s hubs other than being able to find a rear Campag version and the noise. I plan to use Sapim CX ray spokes 28/24. I was given a Park wheel truing stand for a landmark birthday by all my cycling mates so want to make something nice.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Not looking for a bargain necessarily but reasonably light would be nice. Are there any issues with DT Swiss 240s hubs other than being able to find a rear Campag version and the noise.

It doesn't build the stiffest or strongest wheels out there with shallow rims, but folks have survived and you have no power anyway... :twisted:
    Noise of the Hugi ratchet is down to lubrication, when freshly greased is silent... just service it more often and you'll be fine
  • on-yer-bike
    Are they mainly used on deep section carbon rims then? A friend has some 35mm Enve with them. Small flanges?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Are they mainly used on deep section carbon rims then? A friend has some 35mm Enve with them. Small flanges?

You'll be fine with 23 mm rims... it's best not used with things like Stans 340 or Open PRO.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Kinlin XC-279 is a fine rim. Pacenti SL23 is light weight rim for racing wheels the expense lets it down. I use them for folk who go racing mostly. The velocity A23 has variable QC some rims have a lower tension limit than other and go kind of wobbly when building. Having that happen at 1200N is not a good thing. The DT Swiss R460 rim would be fine if madison brought in the 24H rim otherwise options are limted to the 28H and 32H drilling as ugo has pointed out which limts the range of wheels that can be built with it. This is why it may not be so popular.
    Ryde Pulse Sprint or the pulse comp is the other wider rim and very light. Down side is the thin brake track (stans 340 thin).

The other hub you have not considered is Campagnolo Record. Not much more money than Hope, they are very light 32H drilling only but you can still have a light wheelset with them. In fact the Campagnolo hub is kind of perfect.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keezx
    Keezx wrote:

DT Swiss R460...

Part of the story is that it is sleeved, another the coating (matt black ) isn't very durable.
    For the rest : no complaints, but i've not ridden them yet. (the weather is not good enough for testrides, only for the oldest ugliest stuff)
  • keezx
    holiver wrote:

Not imported in NL too (24H), but I could have ordered one (delivery time 8 weeks), at least i was told so.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not good news about the back coating. All DT Swiss rims so far rr415 rr415 rr440 rr415 email. T.c have had really nice durable finishes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keezx
    Still I think it's going to be a popular rim as it's a nice compromise between dimensions, weight (460 gr. spot on) and price.
    Might be aimed mainly for the OEM market.
  • Keezx wrote:
    Still I think it's going to be a popular rim as it's a nice compromise between dimensions, weight (460 gr. spot on) and price.
    Might be aimed mainly for the OEM market.

I doubt... DT road rims have never been very popular
  • on-yer-bike

The other hub you have not considered is Campagnolo Record. Not much more money than Hope, they are very light 32H drilling only but you can still have a light wheelset with them. In fact the Campagnolo hub is kind of perfect.
    I dont really want 32 spokes as I aready have some 32 spoke Archetype winter wheels. Are the A23s sleeve joined like the Aeroheads?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Are the A23s sleeve joined like the Aeroheads?

Yes
  • on-yer-bike
    Looking into this there really isnt much to choose from. And it seems impossible to find hubs with Campag free hub. Are they usually a special order?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Looking into this there really isnt much to choose from. And it seems impossible to find hubs with Campag free hub. Are they usually a special order?

1) Not really, that's why Archetype is still by far the best rim out there

2) Not sure what you are looking at, anyway, do you need a Campagnolo free hub? Can you not run a 5800 cassette? It's the same thing... they are sprockets, nobody will ever know they are not Campagnolo sprockets
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I have a hope campagnolo free hub wheel. In fact I quite want to swap them over to shimano for my new bike!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.