Answer to Chav Scum = Move House

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2015 in The cake stop
Ok so me and the missus purchased a really nice brand new 2 bed apartment as a repo in Aug 2013 just a stone's throw from Nottingham City Centre (I have lived in the burbs of Nottingham for years without issue), Everything was fine and lovely. Nice neighbours / Nice area. The apartment block only has 15 apartments and everyone in there is decent, hard working and nice - New cars in the car park - No scroungers.

Zoom forward 6 months and we started getting these scum bag chavs hanging around the communal entrance (in the private car park). They started making noise, smoking dope, leaving litter, car crime etc etc. We called the police on at least 20 occasions but given that the crimes being reported were and I quote "not a direct threat to life" on almost all occasions we were told a patrol car would come by when they had time - This was usually 3-5 hours later by which point it was the early hours of the morning and the scum had gone.

Anyway we even tried to reason with these scum bags and politely asked them if they can go and hand out in the skate park down the road but that just ended up with abuse etc. I did seriously think about going out there and giving them a good slap but then I would be no better than them.

Eventually we finally got so tired of it that when we witnessed one of them braking into a car in the car park we decided to forget the frankly useless local police number and this time we rang 999. We explained the situation and a police car caught them red handed 5 mins later. By all accounts the charges that were levied against them were vehicular criminal damage, possesion of an illegal substance, trespassing on private property and disturbance of the peace.

Ultimately this led to all 3 of them getting ASBO's but given that scum bags see these ASBO's as a badge of honour they were back within 3 days - Clearly the arrest and litany of offences committed was not enough to actual warrant any punishment.

I rang the police and spoke to the arresting officer and I was told again quoting "I am not surprised they are back, we can come back out and re-arrest them if you notice any wrong-doing however in my opinion they will be back again"

So upshot of all of this is we have now got our property on the market (thankfully because we purchased as a repo we will make a small profit) and we are moving to a small village 5 miles away - It only has 1 shop but it is chav free.

Based on this experience I will never live in any city centre ever again.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You could be living in Knightsbridge or Monaco or Beverley Hills but if you've got some idiot/scum neighbours then the issue is still the same.
    M.Rushton
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Yet agreed, Its not the quality of the city but the number of people. If you live in a very populated area then there is a higher chance that there will be more scum bags because there are more people. I am moving to a place that has a population of less than 900 people and the demographic is almost entirely retired people. I am only 32 so its a bit strange but I am fairly certain that there will be no tracksuit wearing degenerates smoking crack outside my front door.
  • In Scotland I think you get a lot less of the gratuitously anti-social stuff. And even less in Berlin, Paris, etc., etc.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Pitty the chav scum weren't doing 90mph on a empty straight motorway. The law courts would have been all over them.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Daily the only way to deal with these issues is to give one of them a good hiding.
    Police won't get involved, road traffic offences lower crime figures perfectly for them and its an easy conviction rate.
    Living MY dream.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    VTech wrote:
    Daily the only way to deal with these issues is to give one of them a good hiding.
    Police won't get involved, road traffic offences lower crime figures perfectly for them and its an easy conviction rate.

yes great advice, kick the xxxx out of a 15yo and see what the police will do, not to mention his mates when 20 of them turn up and destroy everything you ve got and put you in hospital, not too mention attacking your wife/GF.
    Even if they don't do any of this, the resulting criminal record for assault/gbh will wreck your job prospects forever.
    You have everything to lose, they have nothing.

Moving is the right thing to do, esp as you ve made a few quid out of it - the police and/or the law are useless in these situations and from my exp a few years ago, they always have been.
  • ben@31
    VTech wrote:

Don't forget road traffic offences are a nice little earner £££
  • If only there was some way to fox them, stop them catching people committing traffic offences. I thought I had it there, but it's slipped my mind.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I thought breaching an ASBO was supposed to result in a proper sentence so surprised the cops didn't come back.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Can't you speak to the building owners and ask them to improve security, fit CCTV or is it just not practical?

As above, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll always get scrotes. I'm from Middlesbrough and as bad as a reputation it has, I've had more problems with scrotes/chavs/thieves in Cambridge and surrounding areas. TBH though, the know-it-all smart ar5es who go to the uni's could do with just a bigger kicking at times….
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • VTech wrote:

Unless the traffic offence involves hitting a cyclist, in which case the plod will do nothing in most cases. I think the idea that the police target drivers as a soft target is wide of the mark- I hardly ever see any traffic patrols and the number of people driving like utter **********s suggests they're not concerned about being stopped.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    cedargreen wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Unless the traffic offence involves hitting a cyclist, in which case the plod will do nothing in most cases. I think the idea that the police target drivers as a soft target is wide of the mark- I hardly ever see any traffic patrols and the number of people driving like utter **********s suggests they're not concerned about being stopped.

I've been driving up and down the A14 for the last 7 years, it's a notoriously bad road that will almost daily have several miles of tailbacks due to serious incidents. I can't recall a single occasion where I've seen a Police patrol car, not one. However, I regularly see the traffic Wombles from the HA closing a lane to recover a Rizla paper. I think Cambs road policing involves sticking up some average speed cameras and hoping for the best.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    We have moved into a house three years ago where the old neighbour next door has been slowly increasing her acts of general stupidity. It started with opening closed gates so the 1 and 3 year old can fall in her ponds and drown with a mixture of dogs loose in the garden chasing the kids. She has now ratcheted this up to doses of weed killing and through waste on the pea gravel drive.

The house is in the country, the neighbour is middle class and she is still a twat. Unfortunately for her when the kids grow up we can all be a twat back as I am not going anywhere.
  • I find the term "chav" to be quite an unfortunate one.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Chavist? :roll:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I find the term "chav" to be quite an unfortunate one.

We were using it in Maidstone years before it became popular nationally. It's an insult for all the nearly-humans infesting Chatham and the other Medway towns.
  • ben@31
    Turbo Tommy wrote:
    I find the term "chav" to be quite an unfortunate one

I don't think chavs are working class. There is decent, hard working and law abiding people in the working class. Chavs I came across are below that, they're an underclass, I struggle to find sympathy for them when they live to their stereotype, do nothing to improve their situation and break the law / act anti-social.

Slightly off topic but it amazes me cycling has no class boundaries, I've seen as just as many chavs on bikes as I've seen wealthy professionals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I bet more of the chavs were in matching team kit. Except the kit was adidas
  • ballysmate
    ben@31 wrote:
    Turbo Tommy wrote:

I don't think chavs are working class. There is decent, hard working and law abiding people in the working class. Chavs I came across are below that, they're an underclass, I struggle to find sympathy for them when they live to their stereotype, do nothing to improve their situation and break the law / act anti-social.

Slightly off topic but it amazes me cycling has no class boundaries, I've seen as just as many chavs on bikes as I've seen wealthy professionals.

Can I just say for the record I have no class whatsoever. :oops:
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Turbo Tommy wrote:

What is it about that fact that amazes you Ben?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ben@31
    TurboTommy wrote:
    What is it about that fact that amazes you Ben?

The fact thats theres cyclists from different walks of life across the world. Theres now 1 billion bikes worldwide and this makes me wonder if cycling is one of the most popular activities / sports? It appeals to everyone and not just one demographic. You can't say there is a typical cyclist as we are so diverse.
  • How can you tell the difference between a "chav" and a "professional" when you pull up to them at a set of light?

Is the professional wearing a saville row suit and riding a Brompton, the chav head to toe in Burberry print and riding a stolen mountain bike??

It's just a silly statement so I wanted some clarification. Is it really amazing that the cycling demographic is so diverse? Isn't it just a reflection of how diverse we are as a species? Cycle provides a solution for various needs, that clearly doesn't make us all part of the same tribe.

OP it isn't "chavs" making your life hell. It's selfish idiots that carry out petty crime. Shall we blame the middle class for the mess the economy was in, and badly effecting the quality of life for the working class? Shall we blame the international ruling class / super rich? Driving the house prices up in southern England where we have a housing shortage, so the middle class find it impossible to get on the housing ladder in more desirable areas?

I like the term chav about as much as I like the term yuppie. People think by labelling others that it will secure / define their own place in society. As the middle class Are we the educated, enlightened ones then?

Truly sorry for the rant, end of a crappy week...
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ben@31
    TurboTommy wrote:
    OP it isn't "chavs" making your life hell. It's selfish idiots that carry out petty crime.

What is the difference? Maybe those who are causing the petty crimes [and anti-social behaviour] just happen to be Chavs. I'm sorry if its not politically correct for you but say it as it is.

chav |tʃav| noun Brit. informal, derogatory
    a young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes.
    DERIVATIVES
    chavvy adjective
    ORIGIN 1990s: probably from Romany chavo ‘boy, youth’ or chavvy ‘baby, child’: sometimes said to have originated in Chatham, Kent, and to be a shortening of that name.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    ben@31 wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:
    OP it isn't "chavs" making your life hell. It's selfish idiots that carry out petty crime.

What is the difference? Maybe those who are causing the petty crimes [and anti-social behaviour] just happen to be Chavs. I'm sorry if its not politically correct for you but say it as it is.

a young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes.
    DERIVATIVES
    chavvy adjective
    ORIGIN 1990s: probably from Romany chavo ‘boy, youth’ or chavvy ‘baby, child’: sometimes said to have originated in Chatham, Kent, and to be a shortening of that name.

I understood the term to derive from CHeltenham AVerage.
    As used by students of the Cheltenham Ladies College when they fancied a "Bit of Rough" and went into town to pick up one of the local lads.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Council House And Violent was my understanding. Plus, those Cheltenham ladies are far rougher than the locals
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    coriordan wrote:
    Cheltenham ladies are far rougher than the locals

I bow to you're superior knowledge. :D
  • ballysmate
    TurboTommy wrote:
    How can you tell the difference between a "chav" and a "professional" when you pull up to them at a set of light?

Is the professional wearing a saville row suit and riding a Brompton, the chav head to toe in Burberry print and riding a stolen mountain bike??

It's just a silly statement so I wanted some clarification. Is it really amazing that the cycling demographic is so diverse? Isn't it just a reflection of how diverse we are as a species? Cycle provides a solution for various needs, that clearly doesn't make us all part of the same tribe.

OP it isn't "chavs" making your life hell. It's selfish idiots that carry out petty crime. Shall we blame the middle class for the mess the economy was in, and badly effecting the quality of life for the working class? Shall we blame the international ruling class / super rich? Driving the house prices up in southern England where we have a housing shortage, so the middle class find it impossible to get on the housing ladder in more desirable areas?

I like the term chav about as much as I like the term yuppie. People think by labelling others that it will secure / define their own place in society. As the middle class Are we the educated, enlightened ones then?

Oooer get you! Middle class eh? :wink:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Graham. wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

DERIVATIVES
    chavvy adjective

I understood the term to derive from CHeltenham AVerage.
    As used by students of the Cheltenham Ladies College when they fancied a "Bit of Rough" and went into town to pick up one of the local lads.

Maybe some Romanies are also cyclists but I realise this won't support the accepted stereotype, chiavala, nais tuke, gorgio :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ben@31 wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

DERIVATIVES
    chavvy adjective

Finding a definition for the term chav doesn't make what you've said any less of a sweeping generalisation I'm afraid...
    The fact that it's a fairly vague definition which highlights it's dereogotory nature definitely doesn't help. It's not about political correctness, it's about broad labels and lazy branding.

Do you really see as many of the chavs as per your definition as professional types when out on your bike? Can't be much fun being chased by a load of snide Armani wearing louts every time you go for a ride!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:
    How can you tell the difference between a "chav" and a "professional" when you pull up to them at a set of light?

Oooer get you! Middle class eh? :wink:

Haha! Nice catch

To be fair like you, I've often questioned whether I have any class at all! :shock:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift