What do you do with your iPhone?

Comments

• My iPhone is insured. Buy it for full price and have a dirt cheap contract. No worries if anything happens I'll have a replacement in 48 hours.

When I visit my mum and Dad on occasion I'll go for a long ride before hand and go from my house via some town miles away to their house. Next day back is a nice 20km recovery spin. Live tracking gives mum piece of mind when I'm late(usually because I forgot something while setting up downstairs). Also it's a fun way to show people how your doing on a given sportive. For me it doesn't take away from the ride(phone is in do not disturb mode). It also means my ride is loaded to trainingpeaks, garmin connect and strava as soon as I finish for me to be embarrassed by my poor number while I enjoy a recover snack/drink. Standard feature on an edge 510 when connected.

I have a personal policy to not carry anything I can't afford to loose or that isn't insured.

For the OP Bellroy elements look good and are more wallet than purse :-) personally I use a sandwich bag with my insurance card. Money. Roadside assistance card. And phone.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I do also have an iphone 3G, but I only have that because my girlfriends sister was upgrading to the iphone 4 and offered me her 3G for free.

Is an iPhone 3G an upgrade for anything? They are £25 on ebay. Nor is an iPhone 4, for that. Neither are even supported by Apple for IOS updates any more. That said, I really don't care what phone you or anyone has. They are phones, simple as that.

I really, really don't want you are getting so upset because others have an iPhone 6 and take it on rides. I wouldn't dream of going for a ride without mine, some cash and a debit card. Each to their own.

Mine is also insured.

Vive le sandwich bag.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I'm not saying that you would only stop to answer calls or texts if you have an expensive iphone. you can answer calls and texts on any phone.
    I said I'm not surprised that a group of cyclists trashed their friends new iphone, it was probably because he was either stopping to answer calls and texts all day, or he only brought such a phone with him to show it off to his friends. in that situation I would probably do the same thing.
    it's annoying enough to have a friend in a group who feels the need to keep stopping all day to answer calls and texts. it disrupts the ride and it gets on peoples nerves. but it's even more annoying to be in the company of someone who constantly feels the need to show you everything they have bought and tell you how much everything costs. I once rode with a guy who brought his phone with him because he was waiting for news of his wife going in to labor. fair enough you may say. but if your wife is about to give birth at any time, why are you out on your bike instead of being by her side holding her hand.

Lets go back to the original line about trashing a phone,
    Carbonator wrote:
    People on here swear blind that they are not going to hit their head hard, and it seems even less likely that a phone will get damaged.......... unless you mount it on your bars of course.
    I have seen a group of cyclists trash a mates brand new iPhone who did just that. It was not a nice experience :shock:

I suspect they actually crashed and smashed his iPhone as it was mounted on his bars, not because he was so self involved as to be constantly stopping.
    Let's face it you'd have to be hanging around with a total bunch of ***** for them to decide that trashing your new phone is an acceptable punishment for using it. I would expect most people to just drop someone before they resorted to that kind of behaviour. Although perhaps lots more people than you'd expect have anger management issues, I don't know.

The reality is of course that on 99.9% of rides, your phone is not going to get damaged. It doesn't really matter what you take with you.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    iPhone 6 on silent in a sandwich bag in a back pocket (right side). Strava on sometimes. I like Google maps for exploring. I like using Strava occasionally. It's a phone. It's insured against damage.

The rest of my pockets contain:
    2 x inner tubes (depends which pocket due to jacket or gilet)
    1 x co2 inflator and cartridge (middle pocket)
    1 x spare cartridge (middle pocket)
    1 x Allen key/ screw driver/ torx park tool (left pocket)
    3 x plastic tyre levers (righ pocket)
    1 x packable waterproof jacket or gilet or arm warmers depending on weather (middle pocket)
    House key (left pocket)
    Bank card and a 20 quid note in the sandwich bag with the phone.

If I get hungry I stop and buy a chocolate bar or flapjack etc.

That suits me.
  • What the actual fuxk is going on I this thread?

Have I missed anything? Has anyone blamed the Muslims yet? Disc brakes?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Is it really that important to have live tracking? I know where I am when I am out on my bike. others don't need to know do they?

What happens in the worst case scenario if you have a bad off in the back end of nowhere and no one knows where you are? Touch wood and all that!

I had a scare a few months back, had an off on some leaves going over a pedestrian bridge to bypass a ford. Luckily aside from a few bruises and some road rash I was ok, but had I knocked myself out I could have been lying there for hours without anyone having a clue (was out of view of a very quiet road). This was about 30 miles from home and my other half usually hasn't got a clue where I'm heading off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never used live tracking - I think my OH is too busy living her life to be arsed about where I am on my bike.

I can see it might be handy from a safety point of view - but I'm hardly ever in a place where it'd be days before anyone passes. Do you get a signal even in those places ?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Signal, as in GPS or phone?

Phone signal probably isn't the best but never had a problem with GPS or Strava would be pretty useless for a lot of folk.

And OH couldn't give a toss, but if I'm late getting in then it offers piece of mind - for both.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    but if your wife is about to give birth at any time, why are you out on your bike instead of being by her side holding her hand.

What - for the 2 weeks plus that the baby could actually make an appearance? Yeah, right!

Very odd thread that seems to have some envy on display.

I only have one phone and, like others, I put it in a sandwich bag in my pocket. I rarely use it on rides (and, when I do, it's to take pics mostly) but should I need to make an urgent call, I'm really glad of it. Nothing to do with showing off or irritating other riders - seems the responsible thing to do.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • More debate over my phone then solutions on places to put it... LOL

Any way, I've been an iPhone user for over 5+ years, Apple products for well over 10+, it's what I use every day. I have a Garmin 810, and I would like to Live Track at some point. I will be biking from town to (road) trail by my self, and I want people to be able to know my location. My wife is blind, and centrally will not be the one to come get me if something happens.

We also have a tandem we want to ride groups with, as well as get around. Again, with her blindness and medical conditions I need a phone when we go out together. - We also use Apple products because of their commitment to the disabled and blind community and building accessible products.
    Rich
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Yeah, anyway....back to the original point (if the OP hasn't already done one)...

I use one of these, but for an iPhone 5:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-phone-wallet/

I realise that the 6 is bigger, but my 5 fits in there with room to spare, so it might fit a 6? The dimensions are on the listing anyway. I can also leave my wallet behind as it takes cards and some cash in the separate zip compartment. I got this when my previous zip-lock plastic wallet thing split apart.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    but if your wife is about to give birth at any time, why are you out on your bike instead of being by her side holding her hand.

What - for the 2 weeks plus that the baby could actually make an appearance? Yeah, right!

Very odd thread that seems to have some envy on display.

I only have one phone and, like others, I put it in a sandwich bag in my pocket. I rarely use it on rides (and, when I do, it's to take pics mostly) but should I need to make an urgent call, I'm really glad of it. Nothing to do with showing off or irritating other riders - seems the responsible thing to do.
    I am with you 100% meanredspider
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Yeah, anyway....back to the original point (if the OP hasn't already done one)...

I use one of these, but for an iPhone 5:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-phone-wallet/

I realise that the 6 is bigger, but my 5 fits in there with room to spare, so it might fit a 6? The dimensions are on the listing anyway. I can also leave my wallet behind as it takes cards and some cash in the separate zip compartment. I got this when my previous zip-lock plastic wallet thing split apart.

That Lezyne pouch looks just the ticket as an alternative to the 'purse' ... Will d/check sizing but looks like a good option if I need to have my iP6 with me for some reason ... £15 so you can't go wrong.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    FWIW, I have been riding around most days with a much larger and more expensive (well, it was when I bought it 18 months ago anyway!) phone than an iphone 6 for, well, 18 months. On commuting days it lives in a little pouch on the strap of my messenger bag; on non-commuting days it sits in my back pocket. I don't put it in a bag (it's in your back pocket and you're moving forwards rapidly - it won't get rained on and a bit of sweat shouldn't hurt it), nor do I have a zip on the pocket. It protrudes slightly above the pocket on smaller pocketed jerseys (which only makes it easier for me to reach). The phone has been absolutely fine. (It will now break on the way home, of course).

I have never used it to annoy or to show off to anyone. It keeps me in touch with the world, it allows me to choose when to be disturbed by it. It allows me to track my rides and to take photos. It helps me pass the time whilst waiting for everyone else to reach the top ( :D )

Ignore the luddites and naysayers. Pop it in a bag if you must, but the phone will be phine.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Install every app that stops it spying on me and stick black electrical tape over both cameras.
  • meanredspider
    Manc33 wrote:
    Install every app that stops it spying on me and stick black electrical tape over both cameras.

Yup - because you're really interesting...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

Those extra apps are spying on you even more :)

You lot should stop carry those bricks around, and get one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-AEKU-M5-New-2014-Hot-Card-phone-4-5mm-AIEK-M5-Card-Mobile-Phone-Ultra/2050950337.html

a Garmin 200/500 is all you need. Not Live-spying. This is cycling, not the matrix.
  • meanredspider
    trailflow wrote:

a Garmin 200/500 is all you need. Not 'Live-spying' This is cycling, not the matrix.

Only if you know where you're going...half the rides I do, I have no clue and rely on the navigation.
  • trailflow
    edited January 2015
    the 200/500 has a breadcrumb trail on screen. Its easy to follow. A good map will always better. If i am riding somewhere new. I look at google streetmaps beforehand to remember any points/turns.
  • I just put it in my Jersey pocket. No sandwich bag it's fine. After I changed from a 4S to a 6 I started putting a bumper on it but that's all.

Why would I leave my phone at home?
  • meanredspider
    trailflow wrote:
    the 200 and 500 hve a breadcrumb trail on screen. Its easy to follow. A good map will always better. If i am riding somewhere new. I look at google streetmaps beforehand to remember any points/turns.

I do up to 160k around bits of Holland I've never been to before. With the best will in the world, neither a breadcrumb trail nor memorising Google street maps is going to cut it. I could, of course, carry an OS map (or just use a Garmin 800 :wink: )
  • meanredspider
    I just put it in my Jersey pocket. No sandwich bag it's fine. After I changed from a 4S to a 6 I started putting a bumper on it but that's all.

Why would I leave my phone at home?

So long as it doesn't tip down with rain and you don't sweat too much, it'll be fine.
  • I've been out in tipping rain. No problem.
  • meanredspider
    I've been out in tipping rain. No problem.

You're either lucky or have exceptionally good pockets. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I killed my 4S on a ride when I needed to fish my emergency blanket out of my bag for a young lad who had broken his collarbone. The iPhone got rained on for almost no time at all. Fortunately, it didn't trigger the moisture sensors so I had it replaced free.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Carbonator wrote:
    Is it really that important to have live tracking? I know where I am when I am out on my bike. others don't need to know do they?

Is it really that important to have an Edge 200?
    Is it really that important to have a Nokia 6300?

So the tech you have is great, but everything above and below is pointless right? :roll:

I never said that anything better or worse than what I have is pointless.

You never actually said the words but thats effectively what you are saying.
    You poo poo live tracking and probably lots of other things a Garmin/iphone combo achieves, yet feel the need for what an Edge 200 can do.

I get the feeling that you would have also poo poo'd the Edge 200 (or whatever Garmin first did what the 200 does) when it was cutting edge, and will possibly have an Edge 1000 and iPhone 6 when they are old tech/cheap.
  • trailflow
    i wouldn't describe the 800 maps as any good. They are pretty much like the breadcrumb trail but with prettier colours :) zooming in and out on it is a nightmare.
  • meanredspider
    trailflow wrote:
    i wouldn't describe the 800 maps as any good. They are pretty much like the breadcrumb trail but with prettier colours :) zooming in and out on it is a nightmare.

Nope - the maps aren't brilliant but it gives you turn guidance with zoomed-in junctions and distance count-down. You don't need to look at the maps.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Manc33 wrote:

What does giving away your own privacy have to do with how interesting you are?

You missed the point.
  • I leave mine at home and take my trusty Nokia 1110- never runs out of battery, nice and compact, been soaked in the rain with no protection too many times to count and works really well as a phone. Also if you crash and it hits anything, it'll leave a neat little phone shaped hole in whatever it hits :wink:
    Plus there's no pin to enter to unlock so you can find the ICE contact easily if you've missed it on my BC license.
  • meanredspider
    Manc33 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

What does giving away your own privacy have to do with how interesting you are?

You missed the point.

My point is who exactly is "interested" in "tracking" you and, in particular, using your cameras? There's generic data collection in the way that Google, cookies, supermarkets etc track you but much of that data, at worst, is just to sell you things and, at best, might even help you. Privacy only matters if you are interesting to someone else.
This discussion has been closed.