Grr...

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Old Kent Road, this morning, heavy traffic.

Coming up between 2 lines of stationary traffic. The 2 lines of traffic had stopped to let through a van turning right as I came up. As van went through I continued but another car followed the van, then wouldn't stop, so I slowed down in case they didn't and waved at the driver. Eventually I had to come to a stop. I made slow down motions with my arm to the driver and said "wait! patience!" Driver then let their car roll forward and it caught my rear wheel and ran over it. Driver then sat there motioning for me to move out the way - a situation impossible by the fact her car was sitting on it! Eventually she worked it out, pulled into a car park and I took her details. She insisted that because the cars had stopped to let her through she had right of way :roll:

Got a cab up to Evans, Spitalfields and have left it with them to replace the rear wheel. It also needs a new rear mech hanger as that has snapped too but the mech is ok. So the driver will be getting quite a bill for that bit of impatience.

Ran her car through MIB and the DVLA and the Tax ran out end of December...

Comments

• leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Pufftmw wrote:
    So the driver will be getting quite a bill for that bit of impatience.

Ran her car through MIB and the DVLA and the Tax ran out end of December...

Which means she isn't insured, so I'm not quite sure how you can pursue her for cash... Courts?

You can dob her in to the cops though!
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    motor insurers bureau will pay for all the costs.
  • leeefm
    Oh yeah. Is that the pot of cash that all the insurers put aside for things like this?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I am hoping that she won't be arsey as I think she saw in the end that she was in the wrong and said sorry. However, if she does become so, then perhaps the threat of being reported to the police for no insurance will change her mind. At the end of the day, its only going to be about £200 so not worth the agravation for her I would have thought.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    If she has any sense, certainly no guarantee with driving like that, she'll roll over and pay it quick.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Report her whatever. No tax, no insurance, I think I'd rather get her off the road than get my £200 back (if it was a choice between the two). I suppose she might just be administratively challenged (to give her the benefit of the doubt).
  • leeefm
    Sorry chaps, I'm in a bit of a "prophet of doom" mood this morning.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    leeefm wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Tax ran out end of December...

Which means she isn't insured, so I'm not quite sure how you can pursue her for cash... Courts?

Insurance doesn't become void just because someone hasn't paid VED, particularly when it comes to third party claims.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answe ... s-expired-
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get your money from her then report her.
  • leeefm
    Insurance doesn't become void just because someone hasn't paid VED, particularly when it comes to third party claims.

Learn something new all the time...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739

Seconded
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    leeefm wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

That's a relief as I'm sure I've been a bit late renewing in the past. How about MOT?!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

That's a relief as I'm sure I've been a bit late renewing in the past. How about MOT?!

MOT would be different, as you're essentially driving something you can't assert is roadworthy. VED is just a tax issue, nothing to do with the state of the driver or the vehicle.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    BigMat wrote:

Insurance companies are prohibited under the Road Traffic Act 1988 section 148 (2) (b) from not paying out a third party claim due to the condition of the vehicle.

This means that having no MOT does not invalidate your insurance in the eyes of the law / police.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Though presumably, if it turned out that the accident was caused or made worse by the vehicle not being roadworthy, the insurance company could then pursue the driver for compensation
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    vermin wrote:

Seconded
    Thirded!
    Otherwise she will just continue to drive illegally. Probably whilst sharing with her friends how easy it is to do.
    And the downward spiral continues.......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Is there any benefit in reporting her? Assuming she hasn't made a SORN declaration (which I assume the OP would have mentioned) won't the DVLA get on to her automatically anyway, after some grace period?

Unless you do the SORN, you're committing an offence regardless of whether you actually drive the vehicle, so the DVLA already has all the relevant information.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I thought if action happens against her the insurance premium will go up, thus reminding her not to be a dick?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I would think that while a third party may not be affected in an insurance claim with non taxed car, she will get shafted come renewal.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.