Novatec 10 speed hubs - how to 11 speed?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Hello all - I have some wheels with these hubs...

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-A291SB-F482SB%20SET.asp

...which says "9/10 speed". Is there any way to run 11 speed on these hubs? Or would it require a new freehub?

TIA as ever. ;-)

Comments

• File the splines by 1.5 mm or so... or get a campagnolo free hub and run an athena cassette.
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    So it's a new freehub required then (putting the bodge to one side)? Am I right in presuming you can get an 11 speed freehub for it?

A Campag freehub not much use on a SRAM groupset...
  • munkster
    Or are you saying that an Athena cassette would work on a Shim/SRAM set up?
  • munkster wrote:

It will work with a Shimano 11 setup and if SRAM has the same spacing as Shimano 11, then it will work on SRAM too.

If you want a Shimano splined free hub for 11, I think you need to replace the internals as well, at least the hub caps, if not the axle too and possibly re-dish the wheel.
  • munkster
    *Blows raspberry*

Oh well, thanks anyway, much appreciated. Guess I'm staying 10 speed for now...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    munkster wrote:

It will work with a Shimano 11 setup and if SRAM has the same spacing as Shimano 11, then it will work on SRAM too.

If you want a Shimano splined free hub for 11, I think you need to replace the internals as well, at least the hub caps, if not the axle too and possibly re-dish the wheel.

Yes I've read on another forum that you cannot fit an 11-speed freehub to a hubset designed for 9/10 speed due to the freehub sizes being different. Also if you go onto the BDOP website and pull up the page with 11-speed freehubs on it, there is a warning that they are not suitable to change a 10 speed to 11-speed

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Part ... 011SPD.asp
  • I need to look into that... I'm pretty sure that 1.8 mm can be compensated by having a more recessed hub cap... might have to file down one... desperate times call for desperate measures and this doesn't seem an impossible task to be honest... could be a fun little project... :mrgreen:
  • Look,

I have just filed off 1.5 mm from one of the Novatec splines on this semi-shot free hub body. It took a couple of minutes... The free hub was 35.1 mm long, now at that point is 36.6 mm which should be enough for an 11 speed cassette. I can't see the cassette binding with the hub body as there is generally plenty of space behind... in fact it might be better as the chain cannot get jammed between the sprocket and the spokes (I think).

DSC_3687_zps80g3iwda.jpg
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Changed one recently with an 11 speed compatible one from Malcolm at the cycle clinic. Worked perfectly

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161244194019? ... EBIDX%3AIT.
  • clogg wrote:
    Changed one recently with an 11 speed compatible one from Malcolm at the cycle clinic. Worked perfectly

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161244194019? ... EBIDX%3AIT.

Yeah, with the correct caps it has to work, despite the doom and gloom spread by one particular retailer!

In the meantime I completed my filing job on the 9-10 speed one and it now takes a 9 speed cassette + 1.85 mm spacer without binding, hence it will fit an 11 speed one... easy enough and at the cost of some elbow grease... :wink:
  • Freehub filing to 11 speed completed and documented here

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/th ... witchover/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What doom and gloom Ugo. Your method is fine but some may find mech cage and spoke interference depending on the wheel. However you have little to loose I suppose.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • What doom and gloom Ugo.

Last week on another thread with a retailer... nevermind
  • munkster
    Thanks for the ideas on this guys, and it's now my claim to fame to have been the inspiration for a blog post ;-)

I think I'll wait on this one, I am more inclined to replace the freehub than anything but interesting to see the "homebrew" options...
  • munkster wrote:
    I think I'll wait on this one, I am more inclined to replace the freehub than anything but interesting to see the "homebrew" options...

In which case you don't belong to the workshop, but rather to the buying advice section... :wink:

If you want I can send you the modified free hub to try out for the cost of the stamp. I don't use 11 speed. It spins fine, but it Would be nice to have some user feedback on the method.
  • munkster
    To be honest, full disclosure, a friend was interested in buying a set of wheels off me and he runs 11 speed hence the question. I am idly considering switching, but not for a while so I wouldn't be able to try it out even if I had the freehub off you. Thanks anyway, I'm sure you will find a volunteer somewhere!
    In which case you don't belong to the workshop, but rather to the buying advice section...

Fine! I can take a hint! Fine! :lol:
  • I know it was a long time since anyone posted on this thread. I got some carbon wheels from Aliexpress - beautifully made with Novatec hubs F372SB. When I tried to lock the cassette SRAM 1170 the lockring thread wouldn't grip.

I saw what a monumental hassle it would be to switch hubs so I checked my spare parts and found a lockring without a wave washer integrated plus slightly more thread maybe +0.5mm. This was from SRAM 1050 cassette. This one gripped and screwed down nicely. The notches on the 11 tooth cog do grip the splines sufficient to feel solid.

So... do check carefully to see if the problem is with the lockring. There is certainly much more room in the hub body for thread than is typically used. Hope this helps!