BMC Granfondo GFO1

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone give me some feedback please on the BMC Granfondo GF01. I see Westbrook are selling the frames off and have my size (at the minute). Just would appreciate some real world feedback. Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I bought one from Evans cycles, rode it once and then returned it and bought a synapse instead. There was nothing particularly wrong with it but it just didn't seem particularly inspiring. (But it was only one ride).

I have a BMC SLR01 team machine, which I rate highly. For an aggressive road bike it is very comfortable, so I thought the GF01 would be amazing. Whilst the geometry was obviously more relaxed, it wasn't much more comfortable. To me, it also wasn't much better over rougher roads - I thought if the Teammachine is so smooth, the GF must be amazingly smooth, but it wasn't really. But ultimately, I just found the ride a little dull.

There's, nothing wrong with it - it's a perfectly good bike, but I rate the synapse much more. If I was making the decision now, I'd also try the 2015 Giant defy.

I notice in your signature block that you have a synapse. If you still have it I'd stick with that. If you need another bike though, that deal looks quite good, but if you then need to buy the additional components I'd look at what that will cost and see what else I could get for the money.

Hope that helps.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Thanks, I do have a Synapse, but it is the first generation and now a little old. Nothing wrong with it, but I did get it second hand and the TT is little long, so I have 90mm stem on it.

I'm 40 in a few months and fancied a new bike (and the Synapse would be going). Regarding components I have my Rotor cranks and saddles and I was planning to build new wheels this year (so already budgeted for), so it would be seatpost/brakes/stem/Handlebar.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    It's a good bike and that deal looks good too. Have you thought about ordering one in at your local Evans for a test ride?