Wheels or Groupset

supergrass
supergrass Posts: 123
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
looking at getting a bike from Dolan... for my budget would you choose

a) Shimano 105 groupset but with Mavic Carbon SLS wheels

b)Shimano Ultegra with Mavic Cosmit Elite S wheels..

Basically should i put my into the wheels or the groupset... head says Groupset... but i love those wheels

Comments

• TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Wheels.

From various reviews 11sp 105 is just as good as Ultegra.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    What bike is it? If it's a TT bike then option A without question, if it's a road bike I'll still go option A as the 105 chainset is alot nice looking now and as TheHound says, the shifting it right up there with Ultegra.
  • thanks for the replies..

its the Ares, so Road..
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Seeing as your looking at deep section wheels then I'm guessing weight isn't an issue. 105 is basically the same as Ultegra except from being few hundred grams heavier.
  • in an ideal world i want the bike to be as light as possible, but being realistic its not an issue for me..

this is my mid life crisis bike and i love the look of deep section wheels.. whether they are right for me is another question i suppose
  • It depends what you want to get out of the bike and how much it would cost to buy the wheels that you want compared to the groupset later on.
    As others have said, you won't notice much between new 105 and Ultegra, but you will visibly see the difference between the wheels if that's important to you.

Also, complete Ultegra groupsets come in at around £500 nowerdays which is likely less than the cost of the cosmic carbone wheelset if you wanted to buy them later on.
  • im mainly just a sportive rider, like the challenge of the climbs. the deep section is just a cosmetic thing if im honest

the other option is to go for the cheaper Ksyrium range for a compromise

but thanks for all the responses, i thought people would say the opposite... glad i posted now :-)
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    There's a lot of sense above but, as an alternative view and an argument for ultegra, you are far more likely in future to wish to have two sets of wheels than two groupsets. Buying ultegra with cheaper wheels will give you an easy itch to scratch when you're inevitably looking for an excuse to spend more money later. The cheap wheels will still be useful as a training/winter set.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    vermin wrote:
    There's a lot of sense above but, as an alternative view and an argument for ultegra, you are far more likely in future to wish to have two sets of wheels than two groupsets. Buying ultegra with cheaper wheels will give you an easy itch to scratch when you're inevitably looking for an excuse to spend more money later. The cheap wheels will still be useful as a training/winter set.

This would be my logic too.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    vermin wrote:

THIS ^ (I changed my mind). This makes total sense.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    vermin wrote:

Thats how i would work it too
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Get disc brakes then the whole "winter wheels" thing is a non-issue and you'll be able to stop in the wet too :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As the new 105 groupset get the polymer coated gear cables now, so the shifting is as good as ultegra. That is the big change shimano have made. so ultegra is just a bit lighter but for 99% of riders will perform well enough as ultegra. Ultegra shifter internals may and it is a big may last a bit longer.

2 sets of wheels is always useful just incase you have an accident and damage one. It also allows you to have different tyres fitted to each wheelset one for wet cold days when you really don't want to deal with a puncture and another set for dry warmer days when punctures are less common.

I would never buy any wheelset in which the cost of repairing/rebuilding it is so high I am left without wheels. For £500-£600 you can buy two sets of wheels that will meet all your needs. Don't con yourself into thinking that these new mavics will make climbing easier unless what you have is really terrible. Gravity holds the universe together it is hard work to overcome what ever the wheels you have. So go with the cheaper wheels and get a second set later.

Disc brakes with tubeless tyres on the wheels will solve this winter/summer thing at a stroke. The problem for me I have 6 road bikes and one now surpass the other 5. That one is the disc brake bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.