Gotta Love comments on cycling on non cycling websites

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited January 2015 in The bottom bracket
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/london ... erhighway/

Some great comments at the bottom of that! soothsayer is a good read!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    There was a video about Poynton that caught my eye....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzDDMzq7d0#t=763

Quite a surprise, I never thought that could work.

The older I get, the better I was.

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Capt Slog wrote:

Continuos Flow slow speed turns out to be quicker than stop start, great solution!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Chris Bass wrote:

And he's a cyclist too. You tend to find that the ones who argue loudest against decent cycling infrastructure are cyclists. Usually committed roadies who will cycle down a three lane dual carriageway for fun.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Chris Bass wrote:

And he's a cyclist too. You tend to find that the ones who argue loudest against decent cycling infrastructure are cyclists. Usually committed roadies who will cycle down a three lane dual carriageway for fun.
    There is definitely an element of that. I've had the same argument on here (in the commuting section) with people that have argued against better infrastructure. I did point out to one particularly vocal one that when his new born child started cycling he may see things differently. I am more concerned that my wife and kids feel safe enough when cycling than I am about trying to get another KOM on Strava*.

* That's assuming I had any.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    "Lycra Monkeys"! :) are they the same as Northern Monkeys?
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Capt Slog wrote:

Taking away the kerbs seems to have removed the perceived ownership of space or territory.

I think Pelican crossings work much better than traffic light operated pedestrian crossings. In Eastbaaaawn, there were lots of Pelican crossings and it was easy to cross the road. When there is a pedestrian crossing, steel barriers pop up for some reason. People press the button, wait and then cross anyway because of a gap in traffic. The lights go red and the traffic stops with no one waiting to cross the road.

When the process is formalised by lights, it is impersonal and somehow enforced with no one giving a damn. When it is informal, people act with altruistic spontaneity!
    Nowt queer as folk.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

There is definitely an element of that. I've had the same argument on here (in the commuting section) with people that have argued against better infrastructure. I did point out to one particularly vocal one that when his new born child started cycling he may see things differently. I am more concerned that my wife and kids feel safe enough when cycling than I am about trying to get another KOM on Strava*.

* That's assuming I had any.

Known as 'vehicular cyclists'.

Remember I was part of the school representation for proposal to change the layout of a bridge right by the school which had witnessed 2 students killed cycling to school.

The local 'cycling' rep was actually the only guy who was against any change to the infrastructure on the bridge (which in mine, and a lot of other people's mind, was a principal cause of the deaths).

He too was a 'vehicular cyclist'
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah, although I have read many of his posts on other articles and to say he is a cyclist is about the same as saying I'm a hiker because I have previously walked to a bus stop or train station
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes